Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. There are some great photos of the Kent and East Sussex Railway. A good collection of locos to see.

The photos of Swayfield are very nostalgic. I love to see the trains running at speed along the ECML. The Deltic in the last photo looks especially good at the head of The Yorkshire Pullman.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

More brilliant photos

C360 I am desperately trying to make in to 1103....if so then that's my first ever cop, Bham New Street 3rd September 1967

Those D11xx were essentially ECML locos although they did stray through Abbotswood occasionally...next on the list for a Brush 4 to be modelled I think

Phil

Those D11xx were essentially ECML locos although they did stray through Abbotswood occasionally...next on the list for a Brush 4 to be modelled I think

Indeed. At that time (1970), other than the Deltics, the mainstay of the ECML passenger fleet was the 'Generator' 47s - D1500 to D1519, along with D1100 to D1111, D1760 to D1766, D1970 to D1976 (the Haymarket batch) and D1989 to D1999. Higher D15xx series locos (below D1582) also put in appearances, mainly Immingham locos on Grimsby/Cleethorpes services, plus the occasional stray from Tinsley or Stratford (or further afield - I remember D1673 "Cyclops", then a Bristol loco, turning up on a down Leeds/Bradford service one evening, the first "namer" that I'd seen).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks

And unless its a trick of the light that loco has been tarted up for a special working...

White or silver buffer rims, wheel tyres and edges of bogie equalising beams

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Many thanksAnd unless its a trick of the light that loco has been tarted up for a special working...White or silver buffer rims, wheel tyres and edges of bogie equalising beamsPhil

White/silver buffer rims was a Holbeck thing around that time. Several 24/25s based there then had this feature, as well as other 47s. I can't look up a link to one at the moment but 5000 post reinstatement and allocation there and 5098 spring to mind.

Oi Dave, mate

Today is my birthday, it is supposed to be summer. What is that white stuff in C8198? :dontknow: I seem to recall it being on Xmas cards. :yes: There's another six months to go. :rtfm:

Happy birthday! We have white stuff in summer, it is called hail!

• RMweb Gold

Oi Dave, mate

Today is my birthday, it is supposed to be summer. What is that white stuff in C8198? :dontknow: I seem to recall it being on Xmas cards. :yes: There's another six months to go. :rtfm:

I was hard in those days.  Nowadays when winter comes I am very tempted to stay indoors, next to a warm radiator.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Teesside today. In C14445, compared to earlier times there is such a vast expanse of wasteland where sidings used to be.

Regarding hail and snow, I remember a bike ride in early June, 2003, when I reached Hunmanby and I had to take shelter from a most violent thunderstorm. The hail that fell was tremendous. It fell to a depth if about 3 to 4 inches. When I got back on my bike, I had to be careful that I did not skid on it! It was just like a snowstorm had happened!

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Swayfield from yesterday:

1L06 was the 09:20 KX-Leeds/Bradford

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh

3S22 was the 10:40SO KX Goods-Edinburgh parcels

1D05 was the 17:10 KX-Hull, The Hull Pullman (appears to be minus it's RMB, which should be between the Mk2d/f second class and the RU)

1A16 was the 09:52 Harrogate-KX - The Saturday Yorkshire Pullman (only 2 Pullman cars on Saturdays rather than 4 Mon-Fri)

Peascliffe Tunnel from 23rd June

1L09 was the 10:20 KX-Leeds/Bradford

C3277 was the 09:20 Newcastle-KX

Edited by mark54

• RMweb Gold

Swayfield from yesterday:

1L06 was the 09:20 KX-Leeds/Bradford

1S35 was the 14:00 KX-Edinburgh

3S22 was the 10:40SO KX Goods-Edinburgh parcels

1D05 was the 17:10 KX-Hull, The Hull Pullman (appears to be minus it's RMB, which should be between the Mk2d/f second class and the RU)

1A16 was the 09:52 Harrogate-KX - The Saturday Yorkshire Pullman (only 2 Pullman cars on Saturdays rather than 4 Mon-Fri)

Peascliffe Tunnel from 23rd June

1L09 was the 10:20 KX-Leeds/Bradford

C3277 was the 09:20 Newcastle-KX

Many thanks once again Mark.

David

• RMweb Premium

A few photos of very ordinary trains at Clapham Junction, not taken in the best of light.

attachicon.gifc Clapham Junction May 81 C5370.jpg

Clapham Junction May 81 C5370 For some reason I don't seem to have made any notes at the time about this image apart from location and date.  I wonder why?

It's quite interesting in that it is a 4-CIG + 4-BEP formation on what looks like headcode 8, Victoria to Portsmouth Hbr via Quarry and Horsham. The central section 4-BEPs seemed to be the mainstay of buffet services on the mid Sussex line - 4-BIGs were much less common.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. A great set of photos of Clapham Junction. I never fail to be impressed by the sheer number of trains using the lines there.

Good to see the Mk1 EMUS's. Very nostalgic.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. Excellent photo's of the ECML today. In J311, the Britannia is in a filthy state which, of course, was typical by that time. A good mixture of maroon and blue/grey Mk1 coaches can be seen in the first photo.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

J1251 is excellent, so many transitions underway. The pole-route appears to be defunct, but I can't see any replacement concrete trunking. How were communications effected?

Although the open copper wires have been recovered the poles are supporting , at a guess, a 50 pair suspended cable.