Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Premium

It's the deck of the bridge over the road from Barkston westwards towards Marston and Allington.

It's the site of Barkston station which closed in 1955.

The photo below shows almost the same view in a photo taken by Dad around 1953.  

The end of the station platform was on the bridge, hence the short uprights on the bridge girder.

attachicon.gifBarkston A3 60053 Sansovino up ex pass c1953 JVol5060.jpg

David

This is a wider shot shortly before the junction was removed to create more paths on the ECML, and now a little overgrown. Skegness bound services had to run wrong road from Grantham as there was no cross-over at the junction. The opening of the Allington chord allowed the junction to be removed.

post-29514-0-99113000-1543872126_thumb.jpg

And as a comparison for the second image, some little known loco in failing light.....

post-29514-0-30732300-1543872556_thumb.jpg

Dave

• Like 14

This is a wider shot shortly before the junction was removed to create more paths on the ECML, and now a little overgrown. Skegness bound services had to run wrong road from Grantham as there was no cross-over at the junction. The opening of the Allington chord allowed the junction to be removed.

156416d.JPG

And as a comparison for the second image, some little known loco in failing light.....

60163.JPG

Dave

For Skegness bound trains there was a facing crossover about a 1/4 mile from Barkston junction, running all the way from Grantham would have taken an inordinate amount of time.

While on a family holiday many years ago my parents got chatting with a signalman from Barkston junction and I was duly invited to come over one day. It was quite a trek from the main road with my mother but well worth it when we got there, standing in the box watching Pacifics passing within a few feet.

that first colne one (C3258) it looks  like a robert Stephenson and quite sure its not a peckett. looking at google images its most likely the now blue "castle Donnington" one

https://goo.gl/images/7csnjj

Almost right, it's Hawthorn Leslie 3715, ex-Swanscombe Cement Works, definitely not ex Castle Donington.

Another little correction to that post - J6476 the loco on the right is Andrew Barclay 2199 'Victory'

• RMweb Gold

Almost right, it's Hawthorn Leslie 3715, ex-Swanscombe Cement Works, definitely not ex Castle Donington.

Another little correction to that post - J6476 the loco on the right is Andrew Barclay 2199 'Victory'

Thanks very much, I've amended he captions.

David

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the ECML in Northumberland photo’s. A great selection which are so atmospheric and nostalgic. In C7102, at Chevington, with class 47, 47292, on an up train, on the 9th August, 1985, you have taken a true ‘train in the landscape photo’. It’s delightful, and warms things up, too, on this cold early December day.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing the Sealion in C5589 is a cripple, or were these CE sidings?

Also looks like someone has recently replaced alot of wooden keys in those chairs.

Dave

The sidings are the goods yard (closed by then of course, so the wagon may well have been a cripple.

I hadn't noticed the keys until you mentioned them.

David

• RMweb Gold

I remember my nephew being in the Railriders club, Ref :C8416.

Dont know what

it was about though ?

It was a club run by British Rail for young people up to the age of about 15.

I don't know much about it but here is a link to a Wikipedia article about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_Riders

I think the loco was quite often used on specials at weekends.

David

It was a club run by British Rail for young people up to the age of about 15.

I don't know much about it but here is a link to a Wikipedia article about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_Riders

I think the loco was quite often used on specials at weekends.

David

I was a member - don't ask me what the number was though, all that material went a long time ago.

Produced a magazine periodically throughout the year but the highlight was the book of vouchers that gave 50p or £1 off the price of a ticket. I think you could also use the membership to gain discount admission to various places, not necessarily rail related.

47406, named Rail Riders, was the only (I think :-) ) member of the Generators (47401-47420) to receive the InterCity livery. After withdrawal the plates went on to 47 488, but I was already out of childhood, and the club, by then.

Edit: Having read the Wikipedia page, which I probably should have done first, I'll add that I did visit Rail Riders World in York.

Edited by dvdlcs

• RMweb Premium

Also looks like someone has recently replaced alot of wooden keys in those chairs.

The reason being that the previous wooden keys had been utilised elsewhere for a more important job!

post-32776-0-77389600-1544012502_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

C6465

Was South Newsham THAT popular with railway photographers?

Jonathan

It still is.

More seriously the cars are in a parking area which I think is used by residents and railway staff, though I've never noticed any specific signs to that effect - I must look next time I am near there.

David

• Like 1

C6465

Was South Newsham THAT popular with railway photographers?

Jonathan

As Dave says -  'It still is' !

Especially now that GBRf (ex Colas) Class 60s can be seen almost everyday on Tyne - Lynemouth PS biomass trains.

post-7898-0-18375000-1544036665_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-71156400-1544036749_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth and Tyne photo’s which are full of interest. The first one is most atmospheric and would translate into a great oil painting. I like C8189, at Bedlington North with 37259 propelling a brake van to Cambois on the 31st January, 1987. A lovely shot of the 37 in the low sun.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Great Eastern photo’s, which are a fascinating mixture of trains and ships. I can’t help thinking that, in J6935, at Ingatestone, with 312131 on a down service, in May, 1980, the black surround to the cab windows looks that bit better than without it. A more complete cab front.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Great shot there - Church Lane Crossing 47300 Liverpool st to Norwich May 80 J6928

But this can't be 47300 as that number wasn't in use back then, 47301 being the first of the sub-class. I thought it could be 47310 but that wasn't an SF loco until 1984.

Jury's out I'm afraid....

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Great shot there - Church Lane Crossing 47300 Liverpool st to Norwich May 80 J6928

But this can't be 47300 as that number wasn't in use back then, 47301 being the first of the sub-class. I thought it could be 47310 but that wasn't an SF loco until 1984.

Jury's out I'm afraid....

Dave

I'm afraid numbers are a common problem when I try to read them off a slide or a scan.

David

Edited by DaveF