Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Durham photo’s. All so full of interest and nostalgia. The last one shows a fairly rare view of a Cravens route learning saloon. The Railcar website gives some information about the three sets that were used. Here’s the link to that page.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-105/non-passenger-use

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Cumbrian Coast line photo’s which are so full of interest. The first one of 37, 37025, on the 22nd April, 1987, is a glorious view of the Scottie Dog 37 on that oil train. The last photo’ at Haverigg Road, with class 108 DMU on a Sellafield to Barrow train in August, 1979, is a classic example of not being able to sit behind the driver unless you were travelling first class with the DTCL’s being both at the outer end of each twin unit.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

J2024 - according to napier-chronicles, in Nov.69 1L06 was 09:20 King's Cross - Leeds & Bradford (not Sundays)

J4958 - in Oct.75, 1A25 was 12:53 Cleethorpes - King's Cross (13:00 Grimsby - King's Cross on Sundays)

edited to correct mistake with train number

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Hougham photo’s which bring back many happy memories. In J6143, of 47552 on a down express in June, 1978, the Mk2 air cons look as if they might be a mix of Mkd and Mkf stock. The first TSO certainly looks like a ‘d’ with the two toilets on one side, with the next two having staggered toilets, and since no ‘e’ stock was allocated to the ER of BR at that time, they must be ‘f’s.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Comparing the first and last two shots today taken between Nov 69 and Aug 78, all very close on positon, frame etc. shows how different colours look, especialy rail blue, in differing light conditions. Quite amazing though how little change there was in that part of rural Lincs. over 9 years...

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the photo’s from that excursion over the Glasgow and South Western line to Stranraer Harbour. They are all so full of interest, and I particularly like C8433 at Pinwherry, on the 9th May, 1987. It really is a great photo’ of the box there, which was looking very tidy and as if it had not long been repainted.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Bluebell Railway photo’s which are so atmospheric and full,of interest. In C4226, at Sheffield Park, with SECR class H, number 263, on a light engine movement, on the 26th December, 1978, you have a good photo’ of such a lovely engine. And of course Hornby made a great model of it.

The Shoreham and Rochester photo’s are full of interest and more nostalgia. In the first photo’ of the Rochester Medway bridge I much prefer the railway bridge to the much more modern and somewhat simplistic road bridge.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J6022 - the road bridge on the left of the rail bridge was built in the late 60s/early 70s on the foundations/alignment of a second rail bridge at Rochester, which was a product of Victorian rivalry between the SER/LCDR.

Before the newer road bridge was built, there was two-way traffic on the older road bridge visible in J6025. The road is the A2 London-Dover, but Rochester is bypassed by the M2. The traffic's still horrible even today, despite the addition of a tunnel under the Medway near Chatham Dockyard.

More info at http://www.rbt.org.uk/bridges/

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Blyth South Harbour, and Newsham Road crossing photo's which are full of historical interest. That last photo' shows quite clearly, that at some time between 1968 and the 6th April,1985, in C6773, at Nesham Road level crossing, the gates had been replaced by lifting barriers. Then, by the time the last photo' was taken on the 6th, April, 1991, the barriers had been replaced again by new ones of a different type.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Did anyone notice that in the first photo of Newsham Road crossing the barriers were still up as the train crossed the road?

The man with his hands in his pockets was there to stop traffic approaching from the left, there was also someone else on the other side of the crossing.

David

• Like 1