Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

Did anyone notice that in the first photo of Newsham Road crossing the barriers were still up as the train crossed the road?

The man with his hands in his pockets was there to stop traffic approaching from the left, there was also someone else on the other side of the crossing.

David

I noticed that too, Dave.  Also, on my photo the crossing gates are open as the 20s cross Newsham Road with a man in attendance.

A year earlier during the last week of steam in Sept 1967, there were no gates at Newsham Road as a 4MT crosses the road!

post-7898-0-57096500-1545137086_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

Yet more excellent photos of times gone by, once again thanks for sharing.

In C8307, I take it that is Ryhope Grange SB in the distance?

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Sunderland and area photo’s which are so full of interest. The first one at Seaton Carew with 143008 to be seen on a Middlesbrough to Newcastle service was taken from a class 101 DMU sat behind the drivers cab on the 29th July, 1986. The second photo’ of Sunderland’s Queen Alexander Bridge, on the 23rd June, 1984, C6533, is a great view of the bridge which, if the room was available, would make a delightful model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Yet more excellent photos of times gone by, once again thanks for sharing.

In C8307, I take it that is Ryhope Grange SB in the distance?

Yes, I think it is unless someone knows otherwise.

David

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the 25, (in J464), was just too dirty for it's marker lights to be used so the lamps were added instead?

The 101, in J356, could be a promotion picture for the railways - (at the time)!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Harrogate photo’s which are so interesting and nostalgic. In J356, the class 101 unit, on a Leeds to Harrogate service in September, 1965, the centre car is a class 110 TSL. The windows have the characteristic surround, and are much deeper. The tumble home is different to a Metro Cammell car, and the roof vents are positioned differently too. Indeed, such hybrid formations were quite common in first generation DMU days. However, the power cars are actually class 111. They have RollsRoyce engines, typified by the smooth battery boxes and much larger radiators, plus the straighter exhaust pipes.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

The cl.25 doesn't have front marker lights, just red tail lights.

The 4-character box is front light, so either the blind mechanism or the lighting is broken - hence the use of separate lamps.

I think the Met-Camm may have a cl.104 trailer?

• RMweb Gold

The 4-character box is front light, so either the blind mechanism or the lighting is broken - hence the use of separate lamps.

I think the Met-Camm may have a cl.104 trailer?

Hi, keefer. It’s a class 110 from the surrounds to the windows and the unpainted window vents, neither of which were to be found on class 104 cars.

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I'd go for the blinds as it shows a class 3 headcode for a class 1 train.

Dave

Also, presumably, 16t minerals in departmental service before overloading became a problem and holes were cut in the side, or did this not happen to all of them?

Mike.

You can no doubt guess how long it took the P. Way to discover that if you ignored the holes the spent ballast would bridge over them nicely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J356, I have a spare 110 center car and too many Met-Cam power twins. There is always solutions not problems.

Hi David

I always like these Harrogate photos, they are of the period I am trying to model, nice mix of units, diesel locos and steam locos.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2