Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the photo’s of York. Such a lovely old place and station which is never without interest even today. The first photo’ brings all the memories back of taking a class 110 after a ride on the Scarborough Spa Express, and it was very full. The driver seemed reluctant to drive the unit away from the station until someone, not me, shouted “Get the whip out! We need to be in Selby on time!” We then powered away, and in 20 minutes were stood in Selby station!!

The second photo’ shows a great side view of the kitchen side of the Mk111 Intercity Executive Saloon. Hopefully that will be of use for those wishing to adapt a Mk111 from Hornby or Oxford.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Great shot there - Church Lane Crossing 47300 Liverpool st to Norwich May 80 J6928

But this can't be 47300 as that number wasn't in use back then, 47301 being the first of the sub-class. I thought it could be 47310 but that wasn't an SF loco until 1984.

Jury's out I'm afraid....

Dave

Think it’s 47100 http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v3.php?img=0219020515000

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. What a fascinating set of photo’s. All so full of historical interest. What solid and clearly well built piers in J4433, at Cockfield S.D.R., on the West Auckland to Barnard Castle line, with Lands viaduct, in June, 1975. A shame the line was closed down in the first place.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Some particularly good photos today, find the train on Snowdon before the cloud shrouds the summit, IIRC it did that the once I walked up it.

A classic MGR shot and a Peak dwarfed by the cooling towers.

The 08 on ecs in Nottingham could be 08741 which did once live at Toton.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Some particularly good photos today, find the train on Snowdon before the cloud shrouds the summit, IIRC it did that the once I walked up it.

Dave

I did the Snowdon railway some years ago

Lovely at the bottom, couldn't see your hand in front of your face at the top!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I love the Snowdon Mountain Railway photo’s which are so atmospheric. As previously mentioned, starting in sun at the base, you could so often have cloud and fog at the summit - a journey of two weathers.

That’s a fascinating set of photo’s of Nottingham and places south from there on the MML. The first photo’ is a good shot of an 08 shunter on Mk11 air con stock. I don’t think, on a model, you could use an 08 on such stock in any other way.

As always, it’s sobering to see how the cooling towers at Ratcliffe on Soar dwarf the train hauled by a class 45 on a St Pancras to Derby service, in April, 1980, in J6847.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

A bit of a change in C8281; Instead of the coil and slab we're used to seeing on the WCML, the only visible wagon is a Bogie Trestle, loaded with steel plate. Presumably, it would have come from Dalzell plate mill, but I wonder whence it was bound? One possible destination would be Barnstaple, which received steel plate and sections for the shipyard at Appledore.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Carlisle photo’s which are full of nostalgia and interest. In C7971, at Carlisle, with 87025, on an up express, with the locomotve being inspected prior to removal from the train, on the 26th August, 1986. That’s a great photo’, but I’m wondering what the fault was with the 87. I suppose we will never know.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

Looking at that loco change, of a 87 for a 85, i think it would have been changed over again, probably at crewe. The anglo scottish trains tended to be 87s and mk3s, which the earlier electrics could not heat, but the cross country trains were mk2 but tended to use 86s.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dave. I like the Radcliffe on Trent photo’s which, as always, are full of interest and nostalgia. In J6813, with 47019 on a Parkeston Quay to Manchester train in March, 1980, again the experimental slab track can be seen.

That’s a great photo’ of 20068 and an unidentifiable one on a Sheffield to Skegness extra, in May, 1980, in J6944. Such classic loco’ hauled trains and it’s such a shame that it’s all units today.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

J6813.

The APT test track as we knew it in those days.

i remember them building that track bed, some time in the 70`s.

And then wondering where it had gone, the first time we went over it :dancing:

The APT test track was on the MR line from Melton Mowbray as far as Edwalton.

The paved track at Radcliffe on Trent, so far as I'm aware, was experimental sections to determine a type for use in a future channel tunnel. It's still there in the undergrowth parallel to the down line. There's also a section beside the Derby-Sheffield line in the Little Eaton area.