Dave F's photos - ongoing - more added each day

• RMweb Gold

Milford Junction - used to be a fantastic place to visit, constant stream of freight trains to / from all lines, with the odd passenger thrown in, now a quiet shadow of it's former self since the decimation of coal.

Back in the good old days there were two stations in close proximity, Monk Fryston which was at the bridge in the background of C20959 and served only the Castleford lines (the right hand pair) and Milford Junction which was situated near to the wagons in the sidings in 20956,  this closed in 1904 but the buildings remained until the 1960s. The track around Milford was remodelled in the late 1970s/early 1980s in connection with the Selby coal field so it's position is not so obvious these days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Hi Dave,

The second C20787 is not - you copied the caption from above by mistake. It's an 86/2 on vans

Thanks Andrew - I think it was a case of more haste less speed.

I've got it right now (I hope).

David

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You have posted a great selection of photo’s from Winwick Junction on the 9th March, 1996. The first photo’, of a Pacer on a Liverpool Lime St to Earlstown service, is  particularly good, but instead of a class 143 Pacer, it’s actually a class 142 with the Leyland Bus body. Hence it’s 142069.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

The West Coast Main Line this afternoon at Winwick Junction on a mild sunny day, March 9th 1996.

1088194683_WinwickJunction143069LiverpoolLimeSttoEarlstown9thMarch96C20784.jpg.3f4d07c1ce50c0549245a2e1de168ebb.jpg

Winwick Junction 143069 Liverpool Lime St to Earlstown 9th March 96 C20784.jpg

Hi David, this will be a Liverpool Lime Street - Warrington Bank Quay service, it's already passed Earlestown which is in the far distance to the left. We used to call them "Arnies"*, as in Terminators ...

(*Schwarzenegger)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, David. You have posted a great selection of photo’s from Winwick Junction on the 9th March, 1996. The first photo’, of a Pacer on a Liverpool Lime St to Earlstown service, is  particularly good, but instead of a class 143 Pacer, it’s actually a class 142 with the Leyland Bus body. Hence it’s 142069.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

1 hour ago, beast66606 said:

Hi David, this will be a Liverpool Lime Street - Warrington Bank Quay service, it's already passed Earlestown which is in the far distance to the left. We used to call them "Arnies"*, as in Terminators ...

(*Schwarzenegger)

Many thanks to you both.

Again it was a case or more haste less speed and I didn't proof read my typing.  I should have known it was on its way to Warrington Bank Quay.

The only excuse I can come up with is that when I lived in Manchester in my student days, some fity years ago, I irarely ventured to the west of the city.

David

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. What an excellent set of photo’s you’ve posted today of the ECML in Northumberland, and the first photo’ is outstanding. As the class 26 goes by on a down short freight train - one wagon - in November, 1987, it is dwarfed by the River Aln in the foreground making for a very photogenic scene which would be so difficult to reproduce in a model.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. You have posted another excellent selection of photo’s of the ECML in Northumberland. In J7341, at Buston Barns, with a class 254 HST on a down express, going away, in April, 1981, you can see that the roof of the rear power car has only been half cleaned. Also the photo’ is a reminder that jointed track was still to be found in one or two places on the ECML for quite some time after the end of steam traction.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 35A said:

J13659 - unusual to see a Class 90 on a service train that far north, AFAIR? Usually, they were restricted to the Leeds runs.

I have a few photos of them on Mark 4 stock, but it was not common this far north.

David

• Thanks 1

J9362 - that's about as short as a freight can get, isn't it? Blink and you'll miss it!

An what is that about half-way across (above the tree in the hedge in the foreground) - looks like a carriage of some sort, but there's a low protuberance on its left side - HGV on a road? Barn in a field?

Edited by talisman56
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 35A said:

J13659 - unusual to see a Class 90 on a service train that far north, AFAIR? Usually, they were restricted to the Leeds runs.

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

I have a few photos of them on Mark 4 stock, but it was not common this far north.

David

I think the Class 90s were supposed to be restricted to the Leeds trains because they could keep closer to time. The 90s had a faster acceleration than the 91s so more stops over a shorter run meant they arrived less late.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, talisman56 said:

J9362 - that's about as short as a freight can get, isn't it? Blink and you'll miss it!

An what is that about half-way across (above the tree in the hedge in the foreground) - looks like a carriage of some sort, but there's a low protuberance on its left side - HGV on a road? Barn in a field?

3 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

I’d say it’s an articulated lorry heading south on the A1068 which is just east of the railway there.

It is an articulated lorry heading south on the A1068 which is the road wghich runs roughly along the Northumberland coast.  The section the lorry is on is quite twisty and like many roads in Northumberland not all that wide.

David

Edited by DaveF

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. That’s an excellent set of photo’s from those early days on the Severn Valley Railway. In the last photo’ at Hampton Loade, with 8F, number 8233, on a Bridgnorth to Bewdley service, in May, 1975, you have a delightful scene as the trains runs past an excellent example of a GWR signal. 
The photo’s from around Milford Junction, from the 29th May, 1996, are close to home and all of interest personally. In the first photo’ of Hagg Lane level crossing, with Pacer 142083, on a down service to, presumably Hull, you have a good view of the gate and fencing which is of such interest for all modellers. The gate looks like a twenty foot example. 

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, talisman56 said:

ISTR Trains magazine (USA) publishing a pic of a similar train, captioned something like "When the loco is longer than the train, the bottom line is written in red". Not always true, of course, but all the same...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, David. I love all of those excellent Scottish photo’s you’ve posted today. In particular, I agree completely with The Lurker regarding C11533, of the Pass of Killiecrankie, on 15th October, 1988. It shows a beautiful scene with that mist adding a certain something special to it as the train runs off the viaduct and into a tunnel, continental style.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1