Modern image Re-painting, Detailing and Weathering thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just the one pic of the latest wagon project. This is the scratch built prototype that's nearly finished and will be sold on when finished and weathered. I'm going to do another 3 for myself as I already have the donor wagons. Hope you like. Picture is low grade sorry.

IMG_0888_zpsrtrexfrk.jpg

Edited by Andy7
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

MK2 MXA wagon nearly complete. The first was a little deep, this one is much better. I want to have them both completed and weathered before the end of next week along with a few other weathering jobs. By the way I have been using plasti zap glue and it really is good, very pleased with it.

IMG_2170_zpstl4axy9q.jpg

IMG_2171_zpsub86ahef.jpg

IMG_2172_zpsxqbhudfm.jpg

IMG_2173_zpsy5smvs3r.jpg

IMG_2174_zpsmc4tgyaw.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

So the first final rendition of the MXA wagon is complete and looks superb to my eye. Hope you like the pics, 3 more to go for myself. Lots of weathering next, wagons and locos and a pair of Colas 47749 City of Truro locos to complete.

IMG_0922_zps72asfxep.jpg

IMG_0921_zpse9eryoh9.jpg

IMG_0920_zps14ic4j9o.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Great models Andy, excellent work.

You mention that you sell them- is that on eBay or privately?

Liam

Thanks, I sell on surplus items as I move on to other stuff, I also have done various repaints or weathering for other people. Drop me a PM for more information.

Andy

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As always loads going on and loads more to do!

Another couple of Colas 47749 completed, one for me and one for sale!

IMG_2411_zpsdbgrbm8j.jpg

IMG_2418_zpsz8da00tn.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsokepqge0.jpg

Various bits and bobs have been back on the work bench for extra detailing and weathering. I have also been adding wire coupling to a lot of my Hornby locos especially 56's recently.

IMG_2392_zps4ddpuagq.jpg

Current projects are completing 56098 in UKRL livery, this basically just took a back seat for no good reason. DCR 56303 and 31452 are nearly completed. Renumbered a DB red 66 to 66185. Fully completed 3x DB MXA wagons now with more to come. Loads of other stuff on going and will update as I get to them.

I have bought 66718 from LTM and its stunning especially at 20% off! I also got 67004 with sound from Hawkins Bazaar for £84, bargain. Anyway more pics over the weekend.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been busy on and off all weekend with various projects.

First up wagons. Now fully completed 3 MXA wagons and another 4 boxes are complete just need final tweaks before fitting to the BDA chassis and then painting etc. Also secured another 3 BDA's to convert.

IMG_2556_zpsnfbf1cyc.jpg

IMG_2557_zps8jqmkjfm.jpg

I have removed the huge tension lock couplings from a couple of Hornby PCA cement tanks and was going to add some homemade NEM pockets but as it turns out fitting the small couplings has been very easy. Simple removed old and drilled a couple of holes trough the old mounting structure and hey presto. Got another 7 to do but only takes 10 mins per wagon.

IMG_2627_zpsh9q3vjmq.jpg

Next up a DB RBA wagon. Only want one or two for myself but going to do a few more to sell on. Nearly complete this first one just need Matt varnish, re-build and light weather.

IMG_2633_zps2v5t98kz.jpg

A few locos, DB SCHENKER 66 as 66185. Its had a bit of detailing and extra weathering applied. Still needs a little more weathering and the windows need a clean!

IMG_2620_zps1unmnaqg.jpg

IMG_2621_zpskrnpqw8f.jpg

DCR 56303 (4th I have done), all complete bar weathering. Driver added and all details picked out as per prototype. The previous 3 were some of the first repaints I ever did and were sold on to fund the hobby. Also a loco I have seen a few times heading to or from Calvert. This is now the fourth DCR 56 in my collection (not the last I'm sure).

IMG_2623_zpswbygn7ia.jpg

IMG_2624_zpsrbockwme.jpg

IMG_2625_zpsmndkjopk.jpg

Finally I have done Royal 67006 as seen today. Quite a lot of work to get it to look like this from the standard Hornby release. Driver added and then airbrush weathered, legomanbiffo sound fitted. I'm really pleased with it and can't wait run it with my VGA/RBA vans or an mod train.

IMG_2628_zpst2louchj.jpg

IMG_2629_zpsheaegjvz.jpg

IMG_2630_zpsnk795lcy.jpg

IMG_2632_zpsjfh8kgp7.jpg

Hope you have enjoyed looking in.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

Any chance of a close up of how you did the coupling on the PCA please?

I have a number to do.

Thanks

Jeff

Excuse the flowery bedding! Here is the shape of the hole, you need to get this bang on so the coupling will be tight.

IMG_2637_zpsdf4p5jkm.jpg

Next shows the coupling fitted, you to drill the same size and shape hole through both the front and back of the mounting.

IMG_2636_zpszsnpoo6d.jpg

These are the style of tension locks I used, a drop type but unsure who makes them. I just had a load going spare.

IMG_2638_zpsla3cev7b.jpg

Hope this is of use. Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In some of my PCA's, I replaced the large tension locks with these.

Not sure if it was the Hornby/Dapol/Lima/whoever else has produced this wagon though! :mosking:  and I'm not in the same place as them to check.

HTH

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-07433100-1487717385_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a few pics of some progress made. Been busy but not posting much, will try and get more updates on the thread as I go forward.

IMG_2685_zpso2v1kdoi.jpg

68010 has had plates added, second plough added, coupling removed and replaced with wire coupler and extra socket added to each end as per prototype. Legomanbiffo sound added and just requires weathering.

IMG_2789_zpswhykzfci.jpg

IMG_2791_zpsbrdh10h3.jpg

IMG_2792_zpsbewyhb4u.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Andy,

Not sure where to ask this within RMWEB but what is the best adhesive to use to apply etched nameplates, numbers, crests etc.. to modern image loco's?

Never done this before and have a whole load of them to apply and I want to start doing this as well as applying the detailing bits that come in the accessory bags, I have already purchased Plastic Magic adhesive with a Pin Flow applicator from Deluxe Materials to do the tiny plastic detailing but not sure what to use for the etched stuff for the body of the loco's.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Guest 40-something

Hi Andy,

Not sure where to ask this within RMWEB but what is the best adhesive to use to apply etched nameplates, numbers, crests etc.. to modern image loco's?

Never done this before and have a whole load of them to apply and I want to start doing this as well as applying the detailing bits that come in the accessory bags, I have already purchased Plastic Magic adhesive with a Pin Flow applicator from Deluxe Materials to do the tiny plastic detailing but not sure what to use for the etched stuff for the body of the loco's.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Your best bet is to use varnish to match the existing finish, (usually satin), that way if you get too much on it wont be seen as readily as glue

• RMweb Premium

I use Krystal Klear for pipework and nameplates, just a couple of tiny dabs where the plates go gives plenty of time to line them up, and any excess can easily be peeled away when dry.

Cheers,

Phil.

• RMweb Gold

Interestingly the plates on 68010 are 3D transfers! But if fitting Etched metal plates then I always attach them with sticky tack. It's like a jumped up blue tack that I got with various sound decoders for sealing sound chambers. It very tacky and you only use a very small amount. The plates are held on well but can be adjusted or removed at will. I will continue to use this, it has no downsides.

Hope this helps.

Andy