The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Rik Mayall dies

Downendian

• RMweb Premium

Indeed - he speared in many of my favourite shows.

However IIRC wasn't he involved in some sort of quad bike accident a decade or two ago that nearly killed him? Although he was said to have completely recovered, I wonder if that was completely true.

• RMweb Gold

Really sad news and a brilliant comic actor if ever there was one.Rick from the Young Ones,Kevin Turvey and Alan B*stard were all great characters.

• RMweb Gold

Im of an age where i dont remember kevin turvey or indeed have even heard of mick up the 80s but i was just about old enough to watch the young ones with my elder brothers and sister behind my dads back (but not get many of the jokes), the comedy which to me spawned one of the most iconic 3 minutes in comedy/80s culture.....

Never saw 'the new statesman' as it was on late on a school night if i remember right

Bottom was just amazing, still watch it now whenever it comes on gold, in fact i had a 'bottom' marathon a while back watching the whole lot on netflix, hard to imagine that it is the best part of 20 odd years old, timeless slapstick humour

Not seen man down but i believe its on netflix or 4od so i'll have to check that out as i think greg davies is such a funny guy, it proper slipped under my radar that one!!

I dont like the phrase 'rest in peace' but i can imagine heaven will not be peaceful tonight!

A few good vids on here

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/jun/09/rik-mayalls-funniest-tv-moments-young-ones-bottom

I am shocked and saddened to hear the news. As Lord Flash-hart he was superb with so many funny lines despite only appearing in vet few episodes. The scene with him and Ade Edmondson as the German pilot is just brilliant!

I loved Bottom and stll watch the tv shows and the DVD's of the live shows. I went to see three of the Bottom live shows, including the one filmed in Nottingham that was released as a DVD. I remember in the last one he was struggling with a sore throat and hardly any voice, but he made it through the whole show, making jokes at his own expense.

R.I.P Rik Mayall a true comedy legend!

• RMweb Gold

Mad and incredibly funny !

I love Ade Emondsons quote

"There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing.

They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him.

And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish b.st.rd."

(My . .)

R.I.P Rik

(edit to add the rest of the quote)

Archived