The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Gold

The sandwich wasn't present I'm afraid as all the footage of the E-Train there was of the work-up runs in the RTC Yard and of the very first run on July 25th '72. The sandwich din't appear until the Old Dalby runs in late '73.

Oh no, horrible shock what to do? There must definitely be a alternative pre-sandwich release of this model, otherwise it is not prototypically correct if running on a layout set before '73!

Nonononono, the Rapido model is wholly accurate as regards the sandwich as it depicts the train as it is now, or as it was just prior to being handed over the NRM in 1976 anyway.

If you check the video above you'll see that the train is running on the benighted Swinging Arm (SA) bogies and that was the ONLY test run it ever made with the SAs. It was hauled over the Loco works later on for Rebuild 1 (by an 08 for goodness sake!) on the same bogies but they were removed and promptly scapped, which was a good thing really, they weighed TONS and didn't work at all well!

During Rebuild 1 the train was fitted with the much better E1T articulation bogies, which used the Steering Beam and wheelsets from the SAs but that was about all. Doing that sorted the hunting issues of the SA bogies so the train didn't need a 'Hunting Monitor' so I was out a job. Luckily I had other strings to my bow.....  :laugh:

The sole remaining SA bogie is presently holding up the south east end of TC1 at Shildon, and it survived only because it was the centre bogie on POP Train and we didn't swap that for an E1T. As it happens that was very handy as it enabled us to mount TC2 on an E1T and the SA bogie for its time in the Great Hall at York, and the NRM used it as a 'slave' bogie to move TC2 around when it was in 'The Works' section of the museum,

Note the differences between the bogies below.

dP9aAt.jpg

SA bogie under TC1

4DtqIV.jpg

E1T bogie under TC2. It looks MUCH smarter now thanks to the work by the Support and Conservation Group.

So have no fear that your E-Train model will be inaccurate due to sandwiches or bogie types, but you may need to change history on your layout by a year or two. 

If anyone wants to modify their model to the 'First Run' configuration you've got a REAL job on your hands, and it's not just a matter of scratchbuilding three SA bogies either, there's lots of small differences as well. If there wasn't we'd have been wasting our time from 1972 to '76.  :no:

In passing, if anyone wants to talk about E-Train I'll be on the Locomotion Models stand at Warley tomorrow and maybe Sunday as well. You'll easily find me as I'll be wearing my pukka APT-E sweat shirt and a classy Rapido hi-viz vest, as well as my 'Mr. Tilt' badge.

[Later]  Actually it looks like Jason and Bill have their own stand this year so I'll be on the Rapido Trains stand, C12, rather than Locomotion Models.

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 5

Very interesting to read about the bogies, i'll be honest when I was up at Shildon in September, I was a bit miffed as to why there seems to be an additional bogie, thought the train may have been a 5 coach set at one stage but now you've pointed out the differences it all makes sense. The painted bogies look great, great achievement. Will be down tomorrow, if I get chance i'll come over and pick your brains some more :)

Edited by srihaggis

E-Train was only ever a 4-car set, although we did do some tests in 3-car form early in the programme while TC1 was undergoing a lengthy period of vibration testing.

And for a mad hour so we ran in TWO car form, when the two Power Cars were coupled back-to-back (sorry Mr. Network Rail, it was my idea....  :mosking: ) when we moved them from the NRM to Thrall Works in York before loading them onto road trailers to get them up to Shildon.

It was very handy that we had the last SA bogie free to support one end of TC1 as otherwise we'd have had to improvise something. At the time we were told that there had to be a 30 ft gap between the two halves of the train, due to 'Fire Regulations'. This turned out to be a load of cobblers of course (WHAT a surprise...) and if we get the chance elsewhere we'll put it back in the correct 4-car formation, with the vehicles in the correct order AND the right way  round too, which they  aren't now!

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

For those unable to get to the Warley show - this is going to be a truly fabulous model, with much of its appeal in a staggering level of interior detail. Which you can see, thanks to the internal lighting.

- Richard.

Must admit the stand was well visited, it took me about 10 attempts to get close, eventually spoke with Jason & Bill briefly but from what I could see, it will be worth the wait. Mr Tilt was in high demand, I had to give up and depart back home on a pendolino... sorry :P

Couple of shots of the sample on display for the odd time I could clearly see it... looks stunning if I must say so. how much of a gap, less than 2mm?

DSC_0583_zps61pcnfpg.jpg

DSC_0584_zpszzyltprz.jpg

Screen%20shot%202015-11-28%20at%2016.35.

DSC_0586_zpsk4x95ccu.jpg

Edited by srihaggis
  • Like 8

Must admit the stand was well visited, it took me about 10 attempts to get close, eventually spoke with Jason & Bill briefly but from what I could see, it will be worth the wait. Mr Tilt was in high demand, I had to give up and depart back home on a pendolino... sorry :P

You're not kidding!  :O

Once again while helping out on the Rapido stand I didn't stop talking for the entire day, tomorrow I'll have a complete box of Strepsils in my pocket to ensure my voice keeps going!

It was great to meet so many people who are really enthusiastic about APT-E and can't wait to get their hands on their models. It seems to me that this coming summer will see a veritable fleet of APT-Es on exhibition layouts across the country, and that counts GWR branch lines as well! What I found surprising was the number of people who have ordered large numbers of extra Trailer Cars for their E-Trains, one in particular who has SIX extra TC1s on order! That means his APT-E will be a 2+8 configuration, which is getting close to how the train was originally envisaged in 1969.

Looking forward to seeing more of you tomorrow.

• Like 5

Here's some detail shots of the various vehicles in the train. Locomotion Models have another APT-E model on their stand, to the same production standard as the one on the Rapido stand, but theirs is shown in 3-car form with the TC2 model split apart to show the interior and the mechanics of the Joint Module connecting assembly.

6tMkUO.jpg

PC1 showing the much enhanced panel lines and rivets over and above previous versions.

bTlZKy.jpg

TC2 showing the instrumentation visible through the windows. This one has a mis-printed 'TC1' title.

i6vx6j.jpg

TC1 showing the VIP seats in the LH end and the storage/spares area in the RH end.

pQbIll.jpg

The amazing panel line and rivet detail on the roof of the Trailer Cars.

HUtpuP.jpg#

TC2 interior, with my normal seat and control desk.  :lol: 

The colours may not remain the same on full production models.

N6WWvJ.jpg

E1 power bogie

XixCmg.jpg

E1T articulated bogie and Joint Module

CuiLzz.jpg

E1T bogie and connector block.

What I forgot to mention was that the model has the full DCC sound chip and speakers installed, and after Bill rustled up some track and a DCC control unit most of the day was spent to a background of diesel APUs and turbines running, with lights going on and off and horn sounds every now and then too.  :yes:

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 11

E for Extremely Tasty. Glad I ordered the noisy version.

Even if the colours are not quite authentic the interior mouldings do have a nice retro 1970s ambience. I do recall the seventies as being largely sh*te, vomit, squashed pea and nicotine coloured, although more usually called "cinnamon", "ecru", "avocado" and "harvest gold".

• RMweb Premium

Looks stunning. Almost needs one side of the bodyshell of clear plastic to show off that fantastic detail.

I hope Mr Tilt has followed Big Jim to the body scan people so we can have a model of him at his desk.

I took a quick peek and was gob-smacked by the detail - and then carried on walking but reminding myself that there is no way I could ever justify or even think about buying one of these lovely models - and that goes for the HST prototype as well.  Not because I can't afford them but they would never be run on my layout.  So why I ask myself do I have two Rapido VIA Rail F40PH locos?  hey're HO and I'm a P4 modeller . . .

I really wish Rapido every success with their UK range and that hopefully Jason & Co. will one day turn their attention to some of the UK locos and other rolling stock that I lust after but no other manufacturers see fit to add to their ranges.

Stan

It was great meeting everyone! We had an amazing time. I'll post more in the "Excellent Adventure" thread, hopefully by Wednesday.

We're zonked!

-Jason

Sadly didn't get to say hello, as you all were busy talking to others.

All can say the APT E looks gorgeous and makes me annoyed I didn't get the FL9 when I was in NYC.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I thought I was being a bit of spend thrift buying two extra trailers but yesterday (Warley) I met Mr_Tilt and a chap who has ordered six extra trailers so I have relaxed. I'm thinking, put one of my trailers in a display cabinet (need to have a think about the second bogie) - but what about the interior of the another extra trailer? Open standard seating keeping the box of tilt control equipment in the middle? Or something more ambitious like a set of sleeper compartments? Or a kitchen? Bearing in mind it never existed, I have a free hand, but I'd like it to be plausible. Any ideas?

- Richard.

Open standard seating keeping the box of tilt control equipment in the middle? 

It was good meeting you on Sunday Richard, nice to speak to someone who has some good and practical ideas about any extra trailer cars.

It's no mistake that the VIP compartment in TC1 only went half way along the coach, no-one would have wanted to be sitting alongside, or even just nearby, to the tilt pack sticking up there. Even though both Trailer Car tilt packs lived inside sound deadening boxes they were still noisy and smelt oily too. OK in an environment like TC2 where we were all engineers and expected stuff like that, but not in a passenger carrying environment.

I'd suggest that you adjust history :yes:  and have us develop the APT-P Mk 5 tilt packs, which were low and flat and fitted underneath the floor of the vehicle, a little earlier That way you could chop out the Mk 2 pack inside your extra TCs and imagine there's a Mk 5 under each floor. I could provide a dimensioned drawing so you could engrave the new access panel if you like.

We did actually think about fitting a Mk 5 under TC1 at one stage but it was decided to retire the whole train to the NRM in the middle of 1976 and we installed the first Mk 5 under the floor of PC4, one of the POP-Train vehicles, while retaining its standard Mk 2 pack in the original position, thus giving us the chance to directly compare the performance of the two tilt packs on the same vehicle. Some pics of the first Mk 5 under PC4 below.

1f3VJW.jpg

PC4 with the Mk 5 tilt pack hanging underneath. Note the skin over the vehicle's structural tubes at this stage of the

train's life and the H4X bogie to the left.

hxk5Lw.jpg

Loading a Mk 5 pack under PC4. The same method was used on all APT-P Trailer Cars.

b4CyM1.jpg

Poor Ray Sivitar trying to dis-connect the 'quick release' hose fittings on the first Mk 5 pack. We moved them on the

production versions to make things easier, needless to say.

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 2