Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

I was seeking clarity as he just said "they never had any". Some of todays preserved mainline locos have a traditional number on the bodyside, but on paper, they are something totally different, so in the case of P train I was wondering if a number might be behind the written number on paper, but never applied to the vehicle (hence me quering the "never had any" part) , if you get my drift.

P-Train was a different kettle of fish, they were Class 370s with the usual plethora of vehicle numbers for each car.

E-Train never was 'classed' as there was only ever going to be one of it, and it was always intended to only have a limited life.

As for TOPS, I have a funny story about that............  :D

We had two normal 10T mineral wagons at the RTC to act as match wagons for POP-Train when we didn't have the Lab and generator coaches attached. They had normal couplings on their outer ends and bar couplers on the other ends, to match up with PC3 & 4. Needless to say when they weren't coupled to POP-Train they HAD to be coupled together, bar couplers in the middle, or they couldn't be moved anywhere.

They both had large signs on them saying 'Return to RTC Derby' in case they got lost, which happened quite a bit, and while we were planning some tests on the WCML which were to be centered on Carlisle, I started to look for the match wagons, only to find they WERE lost! We'd need them at Carlisle to move PC3 & 4 about while Lab 3 was gathering track data before our tests and I planned to send the match wagons over there ahead of time.

No-one had a clue where the match wagons were, or when they were last seen, but Stuart Dick, one of our dynamics engineers, suggested we try the newly commissioned TOPS system to find them, so he and I trooped down to the Power Box to do just that. After a CONSIDERABLE time, like 2-3 hours, we'd managed to track the darn things to the Scottish Region and there they'd vanished as TOPS hadn't been fully integrated up there. We did issue a few 'Can't you lot read?' messages to the various yards that had ignored the 'Return to RTC Derby' notices, but they ignored us in turn of course.

Back in my office I spent ages phoning Yard Office after Yard Office in Scotland to try and find the wagons and eventually I struck lucky in Aberdeen, of all places! The only problem was I could hardly understand a word the Yardmaster was saying, so strong was his Aberdeen accent! Thank goodness for Telex machines as I could send him some instructions to get the match wagons sent down to Carlisle. By this time we were almost ready to take POP-Train over to the WCML and a few days later off we went, PC3 & 4, Lab 3 and Lab 10, plus a CM&EE Test Car, all headed by a Class 25 to get us to Crewe, where we swapped the 25 for a 50 and off we went to Carlisle.

Having arrived there we got the train split up and I went to the Yard Office to get the match wagons shunted across to where POP-Train was, only to be confronted by the Yardmaster who said 'No, they're not here. They had 'Return to' notices on them so we sent them back you your place!'  :yahoo:

• Like 1

P-Train was a different kettle of fish, they were Class 370s with the usual plethora of vehicle numbers for each car.

E-Train never was 'classed' as there was only ever going to be one of it, and it was always intended to only have a limited life.

No idea why I said P-Train, I meant E-Train, but you've clarified it anyway :)

Did you ever find out why they left the RTC to go to Aberdeen in the first place?

No, but they were always being used to ship bits and pieces to the Loco Works, or to Crewe and other places anyway. Once they were out of sight of Derby they were fair game I guess.

We didn't use them that much, but when we did we're REALLY needed the darn things,

out of curiosity did the E train ever run in Scotland

No, Shildon is as far north as it's ever been, and that was by road! The NRM at York was as far north as it got under it's own power.

The only places E-Train ever ran were the Midland Main Line from St. Pancras to as far north as Duffield, the Old Dalby Test Track and the line from Syston Jct. to Melton Mobray (the furthest east we got) to gain access to the Test Track, the short Mickleover Test Track and the Crewe line to get there and of course the Western Region main line for the high speed tests. Swindon was as far west as it got and some place between Reading and Paddington was as far south as it got.

No, Shildon is as far north as it's ever been, and that was by road! The NRM at York was as far north as it got under it's own power.

The only places E-Train ever ran were the Midland Main Line from St. Pancras to as far north as Duffield, the Old Dalby Test Track and the line from Syston Jct. to Melton Mobray (the furthest east we got) to gain access to the Test Track, the short Mickleover Test Track and the Crewe line to get there and of course the Western Region main line for the high speed tests. Swindon was as far west as it got and some place between Reading and Paddington was as far south as it got.

Shhhh!  You're not supposed to tell them that!

You're off the script, Kit.

Remember: the APT-E went from Penzance to Wick on a demonstration tour in, er, 1974 ish. It visited every single mainline and branchline in existence on the way, including all Greater London suburban services and the Ffestiniog. And it travelled back in time to visit each GWR/Western Region branchline terminus (including the fictional ones) several times between 1930 and 1965. 

OK - now we're sorted.

-Jason

If it ran on the Ffestiniog, it shouldn't have had any trouble with 5' 3". If we'd persisted with it, we could have sold it to Spain and Russia as well as the rest of Europe. It would have been a Godsend in Australia.

As to the model, it's been videoed on EM. Most remarkable.

• Like 1

Remember: the APT-E went from Penzance to Wick on a demonstration tour in, er, 1974 ish. It visited every single mainline and branchline in existence on the way, including all Greater London suburban services and the Ffestiniog. And it travelled back in time to visit each GWR/Western Region branchline terminus (including the fictional ones) several times between 1930 and 1965. 

OK - now we're sorted.

-Jason

Er, OK Jason.

I guess I can't have been on Tilt Control on those days.  :D

Edited by Mr_Tilt

I've not heard anything since my order - has there been communication since / final payments, etc?

I phoned yesterday, as I had not heard anything.

They were happy to take my payment for the balance, and promised delivery 'In a few weeks'.

OK - now we're sorted.

-Jason

Do you mean to say that it did not visit all of Canada after this?

• Like 1

I phoned yesterday, as I had not heard anything.

They were happy to take my payment for the balance, and promised delivery 'In a few weeks'.

Well the first 500 are on schedule to leave the factory by air at the end of this month. So if you are in the first 500, it's a few weeks. The rest are leaving China by air early next month, so for those it's a few weeks and a bit.

-Jason

• Like 2

Well the first 500 are on schedule to leave the factory by air at the end of this month. So if you are in the first 500, it's a few weeks. The rest are leaving China by air early next month, so for those it's a few weeks and a bit.

-Jason

I better get paid soon then!!!!