The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

Hi Kit,

No, ordered 8 of them, TC-1 & TC-2 aren't in the consist, She weighs in at 2.8m total length there.

Already been in contact with Simon from SH modelling who's going to do TC-3 to TC-10 for me later on,

Thanks, Craig.

Wowee, there's SERIOUS for you!  :O

The decals for the extra numbers come in the box already, Bill did them for TC3 to TC20. Admittedly they're difficult to see as they're printed in white on white background, but they're in there, usually folded in with the parts diagram.

Snap!

post-2632-0-45476900-1461691738_thumb.jpg

Another great combination. Does anyone know if these two met in real life? Obviously the Pullman wouldn't have been in this livery if they had!

post-2632-0-68705300-1461691903_thumb.jpg

And before anyone mentions it, yes I know the catenary is overscale but the pictures don't do it justice and it looks ok when viewed from normal distance - well to me at least.

• Like 6

Another great combination. Does anyone know if these two met in real life? Obviously the Pullman wouldn't have been in this livery if they had!

attachicon.gifBP.JPG

No we didn't, although both trains co-existed on BR for a year or so.

The WR Pullmans were withdrawn in 1973 while E-Train was in the Loco Works undergoing Rebuild 1.

I have added a bit more detail into mine

PC-1 cab

attachicon.gifIMAG1439.jpg

PC-2 Cab

attachicon.gifIMAG1438.jpg

I used Bachmann's 1950's Train Crew

Excellent stuff, but to be wholly authentic you need an Inspector and Brian Porter in there as well.

IIRC the Inspector usually sat in the RH jump seat and poor Brian was on the seat mounted on the door to the engine compartment.

Yes, it was CROWDED in there!  :O

Thanks for the compliments Kit

so you would have the driver, the inspector and Brian

would you also have the second driver in there as well

and the advantage of the way the model is designed the drivers cannot be seen unless the cab light is on

I suppose you could have Brian in TC-1 as if he was walking through to PC-1

Edited by Danim

No we didn't, although both trains co-existed on BR for a year or so.

The WR Pullmans were withdrawn in 1973 while E-Train was in the Loco Works undergoing Rebuild 1.

Thanks for the info, that at least explains why I've never been able to find a photograph of the two together.

Thanks for the compliments Kit

so you would have the driver, the inspector and Brian

would you also have the second driver in there as well

and the advantage of the way the model is designed the drivers cannot be seen unless the cab light is on

I suppose you could have Brian in TC-1 as if he was walking through to PC-1

Yes, there were FOUR people jammed in the leading cab during all the runs anywhere, even just to get somewhere before we did any tests. If you get to visit the real thing at Shildon we start the guided tour by getting people into PC2's cab. I think the most I've had in there was perhaps 6 or 7 and that was with the youngest sitting in the driver's seat (grinning widely as you can imagine....) Like that everyone is almost touching everyone else, not a place for the claustrophobic!

Quite how the test crew managed to actually do any work in there boggles the mind!

Oh yes, there should be two in the rear cab, the guard and the Field Trials representative, usually the late Alan Rimmer or Pete Longworth.

HepcJs.jpg

The late Alan Rimmer, in characteristic pose.  :D

TjXPeP.jpg

Pete Longworth aboard POP-Train

i8KcGo.jpg

Brain Porter on the left. 

The Inspectors always wore long dark macs and trilby hats. I'll see if I can find a pic of one of them. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

I'm guessing Paul will be doing 3d prints of all of the development team

also would both cab lights be on whenever the train was running as my idea was to have a driver in the cab of PC-1 and PC-2 that way it didn't matter what way she was running there would always be a driver in the leading cab

Edited by Danim

also would both cab lights be on whenever the train was running as my idea was to have a driver in the cab of PC-1 and PC-2 that way it didn't matter what way she was running there would always be a driver in the leading cab

I'm not sure if they kept the cab lights on when we were running. I only ever had one run up the Test Track in the leading cab, and I was so excited that they'd actually let me do that I wasn't taking much notice I'm afraid.  :D

Responding about my high-level APT-E....(RSJ-mounted 8m x 840mm loop above head head in our loft).

A perspex edging could act as a barrier, with a section of a straight that could drop down to allow models to be put onto the circuit more easily?

PhilS: A perspex edge would get in the way of viewing the train!   There are no points on the high level loop to cause derailments - it is the human hand when adding or removing tightly coupled stock that is the greatest risk.   No obstructions means it is easier to clean the track too.  

The turns at each end, where there is a higher risk than on the straight lines, have the benefit of being on polycarbonate roofing sheet - translucent to show any obstruction.

Incidentally, the downlighters, between the flat round fluorecents, are LED not halogen - to avoid melting any plastic structure stopping / laying on the polycarbonate, as well as for economy.

I don't think the building inspector would appreciate  a section of the RSJ being made 'removable' - neither does it offer the means for attachment of unwanted barriers !

Caternary would have posts on the far side only, and be 'surface mounted' - no holes.   One reason why nice looking Rocoline ready ballasted track was used - ballasting above ones head is not a task I fancy! [As a result of using this track, I changed to building the rest of the layout below with Rocoline-with trackbed - no mess, and fishplates  that conduct.]

I must run the Roco ICE camera train around it sometime, to see it from driver's eye level 8-)

• Like 1

Hi All,

Quick update, E-Train "Service use" has now got sound, Thanks Charlie and Ian (Legomanbiffo), There's a daft clip of it on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BFStuMUBA again not the best and no sound at that time,

PC-2 is leading and does stall out, always worth triple checking the connections, I'll try to do a better video later (with sound) and on a loop.

She's all packed away at the moment so may be a couple of weeks before she's back out again, I've ordered a Train-Safe Travel tube 3 metre to keep her in, saves time and damage on the assembly of her.

Thanks,

Regards Craig.

• RMweb Gold

That looks real good Craig.  I have four extra trailers so when I get mine unpacked it will be 2 power car plus six trailers.

I have plans to modify the interiors to get rid of the "half seating" in the prototype.  Four trailers will give enough full seating for two coaches. I will put alternative interiors in three others and I have plans to rip out the instrumentation interior and "flashing lights" (sorry Jason) and convert that coach into a dining car using a spare Hornby Gresley dining car interior suitably modified. The instrumentation and flashing lights will be relocated in a lineside factory building.

It will be a few months before I will get a chance to do this but I'll post pictures when I do.

• Like 3

I have plans to rip out the instrumentation interior and "flashing lights" (sorry Jason) and convert that coach into a dining car using a spare Hornby Gresley dining car interior suitably 

At least the coffee won't spill..............  :D

• Like 1

To Sandra At Locomotion

I am a bit concerned as to the whereabouts of my Sound APT-E . I just tried to send you a email but got a reply that your inbox is full

There is also an unread PM to you on this site.

Hoping to here from you soon

John

Thanks Colin,

Fully seated coaches would look great!, I do think at some point a 3rd party will jump on this and do new interiors, there's already plans underway for an expansion kit from Paul (post #3049) and Railtec have done transfers for the seats.

Maybe if there's enough demand for more cars if Jason and Bill decided to do a second run they could swap out the interiors for fully seated and sell the seat units to those who want to convert there own, (I want 8 please,)

Regards Craig.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As this is a Locomotion product, any second run would be theirs to commission and decide how it would be done. Jason and Bill wouldn't, as such, get to decide the how of it (though I would expect them to get input).