The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

It's a great price - but why if you order the extra trailers and pay in advance for the main set, does the free post offer not work?

Is it a website bug?

Hi

Unfortunately we don't have a whizz bang website so it doesn't know how to add everything together and decide if it is a 'bundle' or not.  The way it works is the best way we could do it.

The free p&p for paying the full price is a small incentive that won't last for long.

• RMweb Gold

Always thought the long nose with a drooping effect looked like K9.

Just need the antennae on top to complete the effect! :jester:

Keith

Hmm, an opportunity for a detailing set...

On the gauging front with this model, my railway was built with 2nd radius and gauged to cope with the extremities of a Hornby Pendolino (which has subsequently never run on the layout as the single powered, non-weighted bogie makes it useless - I share Kit's view on the Pendolino anyway) and to cope with the weight of a Bachmann Deltic. My APT-P manages fine, so unless we're looking at a similar rate of gauge, some buildings ( and sidings :help:  ) are going to have to be moved. Or I could always just build another layout..... 

EDIT: This would include moving a bridge ;)

Edited by 60800

What is the bogie centre distance on PC1?

The wheelbase of the E1 power bogie is 3.17 metres, for the E1T trailer bogies it's 2.7 metres and the bogies are 15.5 metres apart. The original Swinging Arm trailer bogies, which were only used on the first run, had a wheelbase of 2.7 metres

• RMweb Premium

I don't need one of these, I don't need one of these, I don't need one of these, I don't need one of these.........................

So you have put your pre-order in then? :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Actually the Power Cars really DID droop. For the high speed and subsequent runs there was an aerodynamic advantage in having the nose run lower than before so the E1 power bogie air springs had their ride height lowered by about 1 - 2 ", which became known as 'Sport Mode'.

My last car had broken rear springs, nose up slightly, unstable at highish speeds.

New springs and ride adjustable shocks slightly nose down, stable at 30 or 40 mph more than it was scarely unstable.

Hi

I just googled APT-E & K9 and this came up - sorry if it's already been posted it was from another thread...

Rob

www.APT-P.com

I'll order the one on the right if they're available :) :senile:

Yet again...hat, coat, (I've got to stop doing this!!)

Hi Kit

P-Train was later fitted with a hydraulically operated bolster clamp ratchet thingy see attached scan taken from from CT60

Rob

www.APT-P.com

That's very interesting Rob, thanks for posting it.

Did all the vehicles in all three trains have it fitted? And do the bolsters have the holes in the centre for the pin that I mentioned? It was around 3" across on the test rig that we had in the Dynamics Lab. The H4X bogies on Hastings Coach don't have the hole, but they were the very first P-Train geometry bogies to be built.

P-Train also was later (not sure when) fitted with a Tilt Failure Detection box see attached... This would deal with any hard over failures.

Rob

www.APT-P.com

post-1305-0-51281700-1403893679_thumb.jpg

Edited by aptp

Hi Kit

all the vehicles at The Railway Age had the bolster clamp on them - I don't remember seeing or reading (there is NO mention in CT60) about a large locking pin however I may not have noticed a hole - will take a look next time I go to CHC.

Sorry for this off topic conversation but I feel that I had to reply !

Rob

www.APT-P.com

PS I have already ordered my E-Train model

Edited by aptp

Sadly she's not available any more...........................passed away in 2012 ? (too early anyway)

Good grief, I didn't know that :( That's what happens when your'e the other side of the pond, tend to be uninformed <sigh>

I hope I didn't offend anyone - if a moderator feels this needs to be removed, please do so.

P-Train also was later (not sure when) fitted with a Tilt Failure Detection box see attached... This would deal with any hard over failures.

Rob

www.APT-P.com

I almost hate to tell you this but E-Train had that Electrolevel sensor fitted too, from the very start!

We also used them on POP-Train and Hastings Coach too. The signal from that sensor tripped the systems into switching channels if the working one failed.

Can I just ask how many of us who have ordered this fab Apt-e, model in em & p4

, what are we doing about the wheels?

As development moves onwards I may have a couple of questions for Jason to see what the possibilities may be.

• Like 1

I don't need one of these, I don't need one of these, I don't need one of these, I don't need one of these.........................

Same here, except that:  

1) I like trains

2) and especially express trains

3) there isn't a decent standard OO RTR model of the last generation of UK designed express trains

4) so it looks like this is the one I will be buying, instead of the more obvious 125 or 225 set.

As far as modellers willing to pay £50 deposit, I have ordered the sound version with certificate number 94, so perhaps the numbers being ordered are good in such a short time of the model being announced, after all it is not a low priced model.

How do you know what number it will be from the order?

Sadly she's not available any more...........................passed away in 2012 ? (too early anyway)

I rarely cry when a celebrity dies but I admit I did when I got the news that Lis Sladen had died.  I had no idea she was even sick and it hit like a brick.

We lost Lis, Caroline John and Mary Tamm in the space of about a year.  Not good for us fans of 1970s Doctor Who, especially as they were all still very much active in the worlds of Doctor Who fiction. 

-Jason