The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

• RMweb Premium

The video clips.

I did have trouble hearing some of it.

Next time please lock the focus as your camera goes AF mad, and a simple microphone and extension cable would be brilliant.

Not knocking just suggesting

• Like 1

I can do my APT story in short (1.5 hrs) long (2.5 hrs) and 'Is he ever going to stop' lengths. :no:

I'll have the 'Is he ever going to stop' version on CD, but on the condition that the Pendolino and Super voyager aren't mentioned. I'd like it as a serious inclusion in a little pocket in the commemorative book.

For consideration Kit and Jason? :)

EDIT: I fail to understand the complaints about the video - it contains a lot of very useful information without having to push a fee on us for using RMweb. 

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll have the 'Is he ever going to stop' version on CD, but on the condition that the Pendolino and Super voyager aren't mentioned. I'd like it as a serious inclusion in a little pocket in the commemorative book.

EDIT: I fail to understand the complaints about the video - it contains a lot of very useful information without having to push a fee on us for using RMweb. 

I had trouble hearing some of it, and as I said suggestions not complaints

Am so happy that Rapido has teamed up with the NRM & the APT-E group to do this model, mine is on order and I can't wait to have a model of this very important example of rail history running.

Edited by damo2929
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

3 minutes of arc? Close counts.............

On the subject of rivet counting here's a pic of Bill Schneider doing exactly that on PC2. :no:

mc9f.jpg

Does the model come with a block of 4"x4" to wedge above the bogie to stop it falling over? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

That's actually going to happen, the book is mentioned on the Rapido web site.

I've written an 11000 word (17 A4 pages without photos!) shortish history of the project and Paul is doing another section on the preservation of the train. They'll need a bit of fettling and smoothing I expect but it's under way.

Does the model come with a block of 4"x4" to wedge above the bogie to stop it falling over? :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

The 4" x 4" and the support brackets were needed to level the Power Cars. As the tilt system is de-pressurised and we didn't have any of the proper anti-tilt brackets it was falling over. Some people had tried to stop it by wedging odd lumps of timber under the sides but they'd put them in the wrong place so the body was distorting. So we fitted the big timber supports about two years ago, which was very successfull in leveling the Power Car.

Subsequently Paul found one of the original brackets hiding in PC1 so we're going to make some new ones, and four modfiied ones for the Trailer Cars, so that the whole train will be a lot more stable.

• Like 8

E-Train wasn't, it only ever moved under its own power, or hauled by the Unimog in the RTC Yard.

Regarding the movement of the APT-e using standard locos what would have happened if the train had failed on one of its test runs, bit of a long way to send a Unimog to drag it off the line.

Or was failure not an option?

E trains last powered trip to York, the day I saw her for the first time and it changed my life.

Ive got E train in my bloody now. LOL!!!!

Interesting that both power cars only have one wiper, normally PC1 had 2, PC2 had 1.

Nice pictures which give some weathering hints. No doubt if all the 'different' shades of alu/silver were reproduced, Jason would be told they were 'wrong'!

What Jason has done in selecting the APT-E as a foray into British 'OO' is pure genius. It's set the company up to make a name for itself with prestigious BR trains from the dawn of high speed through to the mid 90's, meaning that the Prototype HST set and APT-P become instantly feasible, with the class 91 not too far behind......

And let's not forget the Class 89 :)

• Like 2

Regarding the movement of the APT-e using standard locos what would have happened if the train had failed on one of its test runs, bit of a long way to send a Unimog to drag it off the line.

Or was failure not an option?

It COULD have been hauled by any standard loco, but it wasn't intended to be normal practice. There's a removeable panel just under the nose, clearly visible now it's a Shildon as the replacement panel hasn't been painted, and we carried a long tow bar in TC1 that connected between a standard loco's coupling and the end of the crash jack that was under the cab floor.

Actually it's just occured to me that it WAS hauled by a standard loco once, when the train was taken to the Loco Works for Rebuild 1 after the first run, it was hauled by an 08 shunter manned by Inspectors, thus causing the one day strike by ASLEF.

You can see where the panel went in the pic below, and you can just see the end of the crash jack inside the nose cone.

osj0u.jpg

• Like 2

It COULD have been hauled by any standard loco, but it wasn't intended to be normal practice. There's a removeable panel just under the nose, clearly visible now it's a Shildon as the replacement panel hasn't been painted, and we carried a long tow bar in TC1 that connected between a standard loco's coupling and the end of the crash jack that was under the cab floor.

Actually it's just occured to me that it WAS hauled by a standard loco once, when the train was taken to the Loco Works for Rebuild 1 after the first run, it was hauled by an 08 shunter manned by Inspectors, thus causing the one day strike by ASLEF.

You can see where the panel went in the pic below, and you can just see the end of the crash jack inside the nose cone.

Ah I see, I found a video of Pauls that shows an 08 dragging it out of York using the coupling bar 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lz2RcJjbmE0#t=89

Cheers

Edited by Nes

Ah I see, I found a video of Pauls that shows an 08 dragging it out of York using the coupling bar 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lz2RcJjbmE0#t=89

Cheers

The York trip was many years after the train's life with BR though, and needed some 'negotiations' when we suggested coupling both Power Cars together to do it. :no:

How do you know what number it will be from the order?

Every order that comes in is given an issue number - these will correspond with the certificates.  If you ring to place your order we can tell you straight away.  If you order online give us a call and we can tell you what it is.  They are issued in the order they are received whether online or telephone.

Cheers

Daft question this...want to place an order, but cannot for the love of me see any links on the NRM site. Where does one go?

www.locomotionmodels.com and follow the link under the big pic of the APT-E.

If you want to find us via the NRM website, you need to go to 'shop' and scroll all the way to the bottom to find a locomotionmodels.com link

Edited by LocomotionatShildon