The Official Rapido APT-E Thread

rapidotrains

PC1 carried a silver video camera in the bottom left hand corner until it got to York.

buO8iJ.jpg

I'm sure you can guess what my question will be Kit; does any on-board footage survive?

• Like 1

E-train being tested at Ruddington MRC today on the public running day (generally open when GCR Nottingham are running trains). Ran superbly. Drew a fair amount of interest, one person asking if it's scratch built, others asking where to buy it from. Hardly anyone looked at the kettles that were running, always just the interior of E train haha.

A843D0DA-170E-44FB-9547-77469FE91081_zps

81FE3BEF-EDA9-4F64-8B06-A23932B7DCC6_zps

I love that second shot although I can't help thinking the track crew without hi-viz would have frightened the bejaysus out of the driver when they suddenly appeared out of the murk in real life!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love that second shot although I can't help thinking the track crew without hi-viz would have frightened the bejaysus out of the driver when they suddenly appeared out of the murk in real life!

But at least it has a yellow panel to warn them of the oncoming train........................

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I finally got round to running my APT-E today, it is truly the best piece of kit I have on my layout , but it has highlighted a few problematic sets of points.

well not any more to make the best of this beautfull model the offending points have been ripped out and I'll be popping over to Hattons in the next day or so for some new ones ( old ons'e were ex lima).

praise to all the people who made this model happen many many thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Did Rapido get the video camera into the model?

No, because it's not on the train at Shildon now. We stripped it out with most of the instrumentation in TC2 during the Autumn of 1976.

I'm sure you can guess what my question will be Kit; does any on-board footage survive?

It never existed Andy as we didn't have a video recorder on the train, they were HUGE in those days. 

The camera fed a screen inside the small VIP compartment in TC2 orginally, and later another screen in TC1. Hugh Williams' book gives a very graphic description of the difficulties we experienced in getting the screen facing in the right direction!!!  :O

That interior needs  crew in it. Modelu do scannng of people - is any one out there who currently looks like Mr Tilt as he was in the 70s? :sungum:

Someone not unknown on this Forum has already produced some prototype 3D printed 1/76 'Mr Tilts'. They may become production items at some time. :D

I've also suggested some other figures that might be appropriate. Normal 00 passenger stock could be used to fill up the TC1 VIP compartment I guess, although it was rarely really packed in there. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No, because it's not on the train at Shildon now. We stripped it out with most of the instrumentation in TC2 during the Autumn of 1976.

Ah-ha! So now we need an after-market/3D printed video camera for the cab to go with the 3D printed Mr. Tilt... ;)

Edit: will Jason and Bill be narked that they missed the camera?

Edited by Ian J.

Afraid that mine has gone back in the box. I have 3 stations on my layout, all on curves and fantastic model that it is, the APT fouls every one on the inside line, or collides with oncoming trains. Oddly it isn't necessarily the long nose, but the centre of the TC coaches that causes the issues. It will only run on one line without hitting scenery and derails at the same two sets of points every time. I'm sure that it is my dreadful layout building that is to blame but not rebuilding my whole layout for one train. Bit hacked off with it, but hey, that's the way it goes.

As for model of the year, not only is this a very good model but there seems to a paucity of any competition.

I doubt the Dapol 59 or Bachmann 90 will be out before the end of the year. Nor will most of the DMUs or EMUs. Kernow's warship still has some way to go to and does Heljans 07.

I see it basically facing:

Bachmann 2-HAP - major parts coming from existing models.

Two class 71s from DJM and Hornby

SLW might spring a surprise.....

However this is bit like comparing any existing EMU or DMU or RTR diesel or electric locomotive with Bachmann's blue pullman DMU. Sure they are all good models, but simply single locomotives or a multiple unit vs an entire train made up of locomotive and coach parts puts the entire train at an advantage.

At the same time the APT-E comes with a lot of features and exceedingly good value. Let's hope people will not forget when it comes to vote.

The two systems were being tested against each other to see which worked best, with a view to fitting the best version to the P-Trains. As it worked out neither had an advantage over the other, and in the end the P-Train ended up with a conventional centre hinged single wiper blade. As I mentioned earlier one of PC1s twin wipers was broken off on one of the last Test Track runs from a bird strike and was never replaced, which explains a) why the few pics taken of the last run to York show only one wiper blade, and B) why it's like that to this day. We may replace it one day, but as PC1 is right at the far end of the train it's not exactly high priority at the moment. You can see which end is which in the last few running days as PC1 carried a silver video camera in the bottom left hand corner until it got to York.

buO8iJ.jpg

It's interesting to note that the 390s have twin wipers, but both are hinged in the corners of the windscreen and don't 'clap hands' like some car wipers, but criss-cross each other.

I love that pic of an E-Train model alongside an LRC Train, Trevor Easton would like that as he was involved with BOTH trains.  :sungum:

I must take a 'twinned' pic with my Turbo Train model. 

Is this the shot you meant, Kit? Both are alien to my layout which is set on Vancouver Island. However, I rarely run appropriate trains! (CJL)

post-1062-0-67186800-1459718653_thumb.jpg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 3

Afraid that mine has gone back in the box. I have 3 stations on my layout, all on curves and fantastic model that it is, the APT fouls every one on the inside line, or collides with oncoming trains. Oddly it isn't necessarily the long nose, but the centre of the TC coaches that causes the issues. It will only run on one line without hitting scenery and derails at the same two sets of points every time. I'm sure that it is my dreadful layout building that is to blame but not rebuilding my whole layout for one train. Bit hacked off with it, but hey, that's the way it goes.

Have you tried running a Eurostar on your layout? I have found this to be the model wanting the most real estate around it when it runs. The APT-E is a lot thinner, the articulated coaches shorter etc... Of course I still need to wait until say August before my layout is set back up again before actually testing it on it.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Premium

I spent my weekend building a 68-inch extension to my layout, the longest I could manage into the corner of the room:

post-14389-0-05922500-1459719590.jpg

I don't want to labour the point, but with a power car taking 12 inches of track and a trailer nearly 11 inches, I have a chance of trying out the two extra trailers when they arrive :-)

- Richard.

• Like 3

Have you tried running a Eurostar on your layout? I have found this to be the model wanting the most real estate around it when it runs. The APT-E is a lot thinner, the articulated coaches shorter etc... Of course I still need to wait until say August before my layout is set back up again before actually testing it on it.

Hi J,

Ta for your reply, but no, I haven't tried the Eurostar. My layout is pretty much West Coast 'transition', so the APT is a bit out of era, but I really, REALLY fancied owning one!! Had to make a few changes to run DP1 which is the longest diesel in my fleet, but the APT is just too unwieldy. I appreciate that my track laying is pretty average, but every model I have bought works fine, with the slight exception of DP2 which runs like a dog, but the APT genuinely fouls the lineside furniture at every single turn.

It's fine, I will put it away for a bit, and if I make some changes I'll come back to it, but a bit 'meh' about it at the mo.

And lo the glut continues

Another 2 APT-E``s listed on the good old EBAY

Seems a lot of people are indeed now cashing in on the rarity of this model

Suggest you check the Back to Back on the leading wheelsets, they could be slightly out of gauge.   Charlie

Received #922 this week(exactly the edition number I asked for...). Managed to assemble it with the aid of my reading glasses, head-torch and daylight lamp, but there were a few heart in the mouth moments as coaches dangled at various angles trying to locate the electrical pins as per the instructions. I don't model OO but this is a fantastic piece of kit and must be the ultimate roundy-roundy runner, still mesmerised watching it bank into my radius 4 curves so smoothly at 150 mph! Only issue Is that both power cars squeal like stuck pigs at low speeds at the moment, the noise coming from the centre of the cars. Hopefully some running in will cure that.

Well done to Rapido and Locomotion, such a shame it's a limited edition, I have a feeling a simplified version of this would have sold like hotcakes in the mass market....

Cheers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And lo the glut continues

Another 2 APT-E``s listed on the good old EBAY

Seems a lot of people are indeed now cashing in on the rarity of this model

Its weird why everyone seems to be getting hot under the collar for this ...... eBay is there to sell items, one of those APT-Es is mine - I've listed it at the price I paid for it - not looking to cash in, pre-ordered it as soon as it was released and paid the deposit, a few months later I changed my mind but as id already paid the deposit i was bound to buy it as I didn't want to lose £50.

If people didn't pro-order the loco which was very heavily publicised, and are prepared to pay a higher amount for it then so be it. As I stated in my advertisement, just looking to recoup my costs - hence the start price  - now if someone is prepared to pay more then thats their decision not mine. And yes I could have put a buy it now price of £225 but when you take into account eBay selling fees and paypal fees and postage (its a big heavy box) i'd probably need to sell for around £270 to recoup my outlay - so if someone is prepared to pay more for the item and i make some money then good for me - I'll still sleep at night and the world won't stop spinning. Ebay gets bashed on this forum by a fair few people but at the end of the day its a business and the business exists to make money or it would go out of business very quickly.  There are a great many bargains still to be had on the forum and touch wood I have never had an issue with people not paying for items or not sending items I've bought, I've well over 1000 transactions on there and 100% positive feedback - if used correctly it is a very good tool for us model railway enthusiasts especially with rising prices on new products....

Ben 

• RMweb Gold

Wow, almost up to 100 pages this thread, just shows the interest in this machine (and Mr Tilts contributions have been a real bonus so a big thank you to him)

Looking forward to receiving mine and playing with it

Just wondered whether it is known how many sets have been made (2000?) and how many extra coaches.

Sadly 50 pages of this are people moaning about items on eBay ........

• RMweb Gold

Apt & extra coach safely arrived at work this morning, a big thank you to Locomotion as it was really well packed

Suppose I'll have to do some work to pass the time quicker till I can go home an have a play!

Can't see anything wrong with making money on ebay. I don't get the whinging that goes off on here about it. Its like selling your house to someone who then goes to sell it again for more money and being p*ssed off. If someone can make money from selling something then good for them.

• Like 1