Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

A question for those of you who already have their locos:

I'm thinking of ways to save weight should I need to get mine sent by courier. As the cardboard box seems to be rather big and heavy and doesn't guarantee an intact loco, do you think the loco would survive in transit in just the see through plastic packaging and bubble wrap?

Even easier than I thought. A couple of bits of fairly hard foam in the end, some soft foam that slides between the tanks and rests on the footplate, another bit of soft foam on top, then the Dapol foam goes on top of that. I've just used one bit of foam from the other box, although if I'd had a bit more soft foam I could have used that instead. I'll probably put one bit of hard foam at each end, but didn't think of that until I'd taken the photo! It holds it all nicely in place. To put them in, I compressed the buffers against the foam at one end, and slid them down, so the buffers are slightly compressed. They don't move, but are held gently.

attachicon.gifDSCF7760.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF7761.JPG

Looks good! Have you thought of putting plastic trays under the locomotives to stop them sinking into the foam? Any fragile sharp detail can othewise get stuck in the foam and bent when the loco moves.

Simple answer no the combination of the two would be required to keep the loco relatively safe. My loco arrived from hatton's in one piece however having used it a show one of the number plates fell off last week 

Marc

I'm thinking of ways to save weight should I need to get mine sent by courier. As the cardboard box seems to be rather big and heavy and doesn't guarantee an intact loco, do you think the loco would survive in transit in just the see through plastic packaging and bubble wrap?

I think it's the see through plastic that's the main problem. It's a bit annoying that the total weight comes to just over a kilo, so pushes it up into the next price band. I had the same thing with my Ixion Hudswell Clarke too. It was delivered by one courier who accepted it as under 1kg, but when I had to return it, a different courier sent me a penalty charge because I'd assumed it actually was under a kilo, but it wasn't!

Looks good! Have you thought of putting plastic trays under the locomotives to stop them sinking into the foam? Any fragile sharp detail can othewise get stuck in the foam and bent when the loco moves.

Good point. I'll have a look at that.

I can see your dilemma BUT, I would have thought that your suggestion would make matters worse. Instruct your supplier to add extra packaging (send them links to BG Johns photos?) if required. Im awaiting mine.

Of course by rights, all damaged models should be returned for refund or repair at the suppliers' cost, as they are faulty/defective/damaged/not fit for purpose/of a satisfactory quality etc. In some instances it could be the perennial issue of poor handling by the carriers, but that's doubtful, as sadly, the matter seems to be of Dapol's making and the promise of better packaging hasnt transpired = madness and myopic IMHO. I feel sorry for the retailers too, like the carriers, this isnt really their fault, but as they know of the problem they all should be endeavouring to mitigate it.

I see in Chris Leigh's review (Model Rail) one of the downsides that he mentions was the packaging and that was on the first batch.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Regarding the box/courier question, mine has arrived at my daughter's flat in London (I'm not sure in what state) it might need another journey to Africa. The courier costs will probably be prohibitive so that's why I was thinking that the box might be left in London (for delivery at another time) and the loco sent to Africa in less bulky and heavy packaging to save on costs. It could be quite risky though.

Edited by daftbovine

The problem with the clear plastic is that appears to be unable to cope with shock loads during transit. My Brighton had started to go through the clear plastic in one corner.

I thought about filling the back of the packing with foam or some type of filler. But the plastic is too unforgiving and can push fittings off when being put round the loco.

I also thought about using it as a mould to produce a shaped piece to hold the model. But couldn't think what to use?

Also thought about lining it with thin felt.

I can see your dilema BUT, I would have thought that your suggestion would make matters worse. Instruct your supplier to add extra packaging (send them links to BG Johns photos if required). Im awaiting mine. Of course by rights, all damaged models should be returned for refund or repair at the suppliers' cost, as they are faulty/defective/damaged/not fit for purpose/of a satisfactory quality etc.

I wouldn't like to trust my new packing to a courier. I did it for storage, and for carrying around with me if I take them to a meeting, exhibition or a visit to someone's layout.

Regarding the box/courier question, mine has arrived at my daughter's flat in London (I'm not sure in what state) it might need another journey to Africa. The courier costs will probably be prohibitive so that's why I was thinking that the box might be left in London (for delivery at another time) and the loco sent to Africa in less bulky and heavy packaging to save on costs. It could be quite risky though.

I think that is very risky. Perhaps look for another, smaller, box (one that fits inside another would be helpful) and modify the foam inserts accordingly so that the loco is kept snug and wont move about, then wrap the outer in bubble wrap too, so as to shock and weather proof?

Do we know - are these models made in the same factory that Ixion use? I thought that I read that somewhere? If so, whilst Ixion's outer box - for the Fowler - is smaller it looks like the same MO of construction as the Dapol boxes but comes with a soft white bespoke moulded set of inserts, what I cant understand is why hasnt the factory (if it is the same factory) suggested this type of packaging to Dapol as that would be ideal to send to eg. Africa etc etc. But I also wonder if Dapol had the packaging outsourced though/made eleswhere? BUT is this another case of 'letting the Chinese get on with it whilst we sleep' (in precis and not verbatim) from Dapol?? I know that one can do a PhD in packaging these days, even so, surely with a fragile, relatively high value item, common sense should prevail, but as my old Prof. used to say; 'sense isnt always common!'

An extra stressor that isnt welcome in life, especially in hobby time me thinks!

ATVB

CME

I wouldn't like to trust my new packing to a courier. I did it for storage, and for carrying around with me if I take them to a meeting, exhibition or a visit to someone's layout.

T'was just a suggestion - but thanks for Posting as that is sound advice.

Really speaking packaging for these models shouldnt be a subject of head-scratching and debate, where ever the product is being sent - it is a form of madness on Dapol's part.

I've had two Ixion Hudswell Clarkes (the first one was faulty and was replaced), and both have arrived with the chimney not attached to the loco. So there may be design/assembly issues as well as a packaging problem. Although in the case of the HC, the chimney is just glued on, but the Terrier's tank vents have a peg inserted into the tank, and have snapped off.

I've had two Ixion Hudswell Clarkes (the first one was faulty and was replaced), and both have arrived with the chimney not attached to the loco. So there may be design/assembly issues as well as a packaging problem. Although in the case of the HC, the chimney is just glued on, but the Terrier's tank vents have a peg inserted into the tank, and have snapped off.

Sorry to hear that - thanks for the clarification. Seems like a generic problem then? If one was buying a watch (or TV) of the same value as a 7mm scale loco, such wouldnt be acceptable and if the retailer then said; 'I will send you the parts to afix and make good', we'd all laugh and say; 'youve got to be joking right?' I know that there are acceptable failure rates, and that there could be fitment issues too, yet when shipping around the world to the UK and then perhaps forward shipping again, packaging and the quality thereof is really important, surely even the Chinese know this too?

Surely after all this time and all the comments and debate here and on the 08 thread, Dapol would want to take the belt and braces approach and have 100's of delighted customers.

I await mine yet I have this feeling of lack lustre and lack of respect on the part of Dapol (for its customers) creeping over me again - sorry to sound cynical - that sort of 'well its 7mm/Ogauge and they will accept what theyre given as long as its cheap', time will tell though.

I have never known a market like it though, in any other walk of life this sort of content would make it onto BBC TV's Watchdog et al.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Gold

Ok so you can return it to be fixed if you are worried about doing it yourself but I don't think it's much of a leap of logic to ask a 'modeller' if they'd like to do it themselves. I've had that offer with other damaged models and it makes sense as it saves you time going to post it back and the shop postage.

Remember a TV for £200 is supplied by a global company making millions of pounds who will just throw it away as they produce hundreds of thousands, Dapol are producing hundreds, that's not really an equal comparison.

If you start involving Watchdog and legal wrangling you'll quickly kill off a small company like Dapol and Hornby's shareholders would quickly start to question the market too in a similar position.

They haven't refused to fix it, just offered a cheap and quick solution.

Edited by PaulRhB

A full packaging redesign would have taken a considerable (relatively speaking) amount of time which would have pushed the delivery of the 2nd batch even further. Which no doubt would have lead to howls of derision from certain quarters- damned if you do, damned if you don't. They appear to have made a few tweaks which don't appear to have been overly successful.

They were all airfreighted in and I wonder if, had they been shipped, they would have been in a different case outer that may have provided a bit more protection. After all, the packaging used is not dissimilar to that commonly used for 4mm models so the basic concept works, just not in this particular application. It is a shame as the open wagons at least were very well packaged.

Incidentally, although it holds the loco perfectly well, now I've actually done some modelling to my Ixion Fowler (Gods forbid) I don't like using the box as it's tricky to get in and out without handling parts I'd rather not handle if I can avoid it- I'll be making a transport case very similar to John's multi- Terrier transportational device for it. No slur on Ixion intended, far from it, just pointing out that you can't please all the people all the time (and it appears to perform it's primary function of securing the model in transit very well).

As for chimneys and coupling rods, well no-one who actually has an engine seems to have found much to upset them too much, despite repeated promptings that they should rise up in protest, so I suspect they are perfectly acceptable to most people at this price point, perhaps with a bit of tweaking if required ;)

32655 arrived today.  No damage...

Took a couple of pictures before the 'demolition derby' commenced:

A 3/4 view from the rear.  Looks good to me.  As per the prototype there is no Westinghouse Pump.

post-2484-0-76264600-1447158281_thumb.jpg

Close up of bunker and coal rails.

post-2484-0-08356600-1447158291_thumb.jpg

This shows the smokebox and join in the chimney

post-2484-0-67745000-1447158313_thumb.jpg

Cruel close up of the chimney join.

post-2484-0-19107600-1447158326_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the same join.

post-2484-0-31977900-1447158518_thumb.jpg

The flared part of the chimney has a rounded top, and the bottom of the chimney itself looks to be very slightly on the large side.  Options are:

1)  Ignore it

2)  Fill and paint the join.

3)  Flatten the top of the flare, loosing a smidgen in height.

4)  Flatten the top of the flare and reduce the diameter of the chimney, if it is too big.

Rather than clog this thread I will start another on the cut and shut to make the Works shunters

• Like 3

I haven't reported my broken bits to Hattons or Dapol yet. I'm not sure it's useful to me to do so, but it may be helpful feedback to the manufacturer and supplier. Two of the faults don't actually matter, although it's a shame that Dapol fitted the wrong brake pipes, or the broken one would matter. As it is, I've got to spend time or money to get the right ones anyway.

It's just the tank vents that are the problem. Do I go through a load of hassle sending it back and getting a replacement loco, will they send me new ones, in which case I need to get the broken bit out of the tanks, or do I refit them by drilling holes and inserting wire that would make it stronger?

Ok so you can return it to be fixed if you are worried about doing it yourself but I don't think it's much of a leap of logic to ask a 'modeller' if they'd like to do it themselves. I've had that offer with other damaged models and it makes sense as it saves you time going to post it back and the shop postage.

Remember a TV for £200 is supplied by a global company making millions of pounds who will just throw it away as they produce hundreds of thousands, Dapol are producing hundreds, that's not really an equal comparison.

If you start involving Watchdog and legal wrangling you'll quickly kill off a small company like Dapol and Hornby's shareholders would quickly start to question the market too in a similar position.

They haven't refused to fix it, just offered a cheap and quick solution.

Hi Paul :)

Calm down that man :mosking:  I WASNT  suggesting that we all contact Watchdog! But merely pointing out our statutory rights - I am NOT trying to start a riot, yet I believe that, despite the pedants, as modellers of 7mm, we still get a raw deal. Why? Because we encourage such behaviors from suppliers and potential suppliers - we enable them/allow them. I am not a lover of big business per se, nor monetarism/capitalism, but then neither am a communist, yet if we operate in those realms/under those market forces why is it that the likes of Dapol can continue in the vein in which they are ie models arriving damaged etc. No organisation is in its right to cause financial or material loss (in duress of any sort) to the general public/customers et al.

Your arguement re big business vs SME's regrading any qauntities produced is, I am sorry to say, in the politest terms :) , irrelevant, statutory rights and law apply to both equally, regardless. Very often smaller companies (SMEs) are often more efficient as they have to be.

It would be sad for Dapol or any of our suppliers to be 'killed off' (BTW I dont think that would happen over a packaging issue) but as I say its market forces if that happens, we are all expected to play by such rules - besides they should have got the packaging right in the first place - and as the models are heavier, thus appropriate packaging was called for.

No they havent refused to fix the models - but then they havent offered to fix the models either, or replace them and we were all told that the packaging would be improved and thus fit for purpose...

ATVB. :)

A full packaging redesign would have taken a considerable (relatively speaking) amount of time which would have pushed the delivery of the 2nd batch even further. Which no doubt would have lead to howls of derision from certain quarters- damned if you do, damned if you don't. They appear to have made a few tweaks which don't appear to have been overly successful.

They were all airfreighted in and I wonder if, had they been shipped, they would have been in a different case outer that may have provided a bit more protection. After all, the packaging used is not dissimilar to that commonly used for 4mm models so the basic concept works, just not in this particular application. It is a shame as the open wagons at least were very well packaged.

Incidentally, although it holds the loco perfectly well, now I've actually done some modelling to my Ixion Fowler (Gods forbid) I don't like using the box as it's tricky to get in and out without handling parts I'd rather not handle if I can avoid it- I'll be making a transport case very similar to John's multi- Terrier transportational device for it. No slur on Ixion intended, far from it, just pointing out that you can't please all the people all the time (and it appears to perform it's primary function of securing the model in transit very well).

As for chimneys and coupling rods, well no-one who actually has an engine seems to have found much to upset them too much, despite repeated promptings that they should rise up in protest, so I suspect they are perfectly acceptable to most people at this price point, perhaps with a bit of tweaking if required ;)

Glad to hear that youve made progress on your Fowler - packaging or should I say storage, is, as I said before in the Thread, problematic in the larger scales especially when details are added. You touch on a good point, Dapol followed the packaging route for their 'OO' output which was an inappropriate strategy.

I, for one, havent prompted protest, I just believe that we all deserve better.

Would anyone here, tolerate such from any other retailer manufacturer when making a 'considered purchase' ie £100.00 plus? No, I very much doubt it.

BTW Im just the messenger - please DONT shoot :mosking:

Very best to you both,

CME :)

PS Still awaiting my delivery/Terrier not sure of the carrier - Postman tells me today that the rounds and timings are changing again and deliveries are going to get worse, with more haste, thus more damage and more waste (in terms of fuel and damages). Or loco Posties are superb, yet theyre being flogged half to death and now we are going to loose them! The problem in this country? Poor quality management, especially in terms of procurement and supply-chain management etc.

32655 arrived today.  No damage...

Took a couple of pictures before the 'demolition derby' commenced:

A 3/4 view from the rear.  Looks good to me.  As per the prototype there is no Westinghouse Pump.

attachicon.gifIMG_3103.JPG

Close up of bunker and coal rails.

attachicon.gifIMG_3104.JPG

This shows the smokebox and join in the chimney

attachicon.gifIMG_3105.JPG

Cruel close up of the chimney join.

attachicon.gifIMG_3106.JPG

Another shot of the same join.

attachicon.gifIMG_3116.JPG

The flared part of the chimney has a rounded top, and the bottom of the chimney itself looks to be very slightly on the large side.  Options are:

1)  Ignore it

2)  Fill and paint the join.

3)  Flatten the top of the flare, loosing a smidgen in height.

4)  Flatten the top of the flare and reduce the diameter of the chimney, if it is too big.

Rather than clog this thread I will start another on the cut and shut to make the Works shunters

Thanks for Posting, I am pleased for you.

Very nice, the finish and fit look even better than the previous models - wow!

The chimneys are a bit of a head-scratcher, yours looks to be well fitted at the factory though, so any fettling is down to personal preference - as Dapol seem to have got that one right.

I haven't reported my broken bits to Hattons or Dapol yet. I'm not sure it's useful to me to do so, but it may be helpful feedback to the manufacturer and supplier. Two of the faults don't actually matter, although it's a shame that Dapol fitted the wrong brake pipes, or the broken one would matter. As it is, I've got to spend time or money to get the right ones anyway.

It's just the tank vents that are the problem. Do I go through a load of hassle sending it back and getting a replacement loco, will they send me new ones, in which case I need to get the broken bit out of the tanks, or do I refit them by drilling holes and inserting wire that would make it stronger?

As mentioned in our PM's much of the damage present is ironically of little relevance to you as you are reworking your models as and when appropriate.

I know what you mean - anything for a quiet life - if I were you I would modifiy them, ie insert brass-rod or other and avoid the hassle and future damage (two birds one stone).

Believe it or not, I know how stressful life can be and all I want for us all is to have our models in one piece and for us all to enjoy them, whilst as customers being respected and appreciated by manufacturers and retailers alike. Worse things happen at sea, yet we should strive to seek and expect continious improvement from our suppliers - it's a two way street.

ATVB to all,

CME

As mentioned in our PM's much of the damage present is ironically of little relevance to you as you are reworking your models as and when appropriate.

I know what you mean - anything for a quiet life - if I were you I would modifiy them, ie insert brass-rod or other and avoid the hassle and future damage (two birds one stone).

Believe it or not, I know how stressful life can be and all I want for us all is to have our models in one piece and for us all to enjoy them, whilst as customers being respected and appreciated by manufacturers and retailers alike. Worse things happen at sea, yet we should strive to seek and expect continious improvement from our suppliers - it's a two way street.

ATVB to all,

CME

It's solved one of the stressful decisions I needed to make though. Which of two identical locos do I convert to Rolvenden? Having a damaged one makes it a no brainer which to mess about with!

A slightly different take on this subject - my 2644 arrived all safe and (non)sound a few weeks ago and I took it to the Club Open Day where it ran faultlessly for more than two hours. When I took it off of the track to put it in its box, one of the buffer heads was missing and after a thorough search by all present, it was still missing - so I sent an email to Dapol on the Sunday evening requesting a replacement and was pleasantly surprised at 09.15 on the Monday morning to receive a reply from Dapol asking which model was involved, I responded straight away also asking if the A1 version would be available without name or number for those of us who wanted something other than Thames (my second purchase) , Brighton or Waddon. A reply came back later that day saying that there would be no un-named versions, to which I replied that in my opinion they were missing a 'trick' - that was three weeks ago and despite two further emails from me asking for a progress report, I have neither heard nor received any further news. 

It certainly spoils the initial joy of what is no doubt a very good model, when the manufacturer, having made an initial response seems to take no further interest in his 'post sales' involvement. I am giving serious thought to retaining either model.

regards

Mike

It's solved one of the stressful decisions I needed to make though. Which of two identical locos do I convert to Rolvenden? Having a damaged one makes it a no brainer which to mess about with!

I agree and empathise, bless you!, saves on the decision making and procrastination too - doesnt it! :)

I was just finishing some paperwork and hoping for the delivery man to get here and a well packed box has arrived from Tower (well done Tower perfect at every level) with the Terrier in it! Good new as I was just about to come off of here and needed to be out of the door.

The Model and Condition:

I am pleased to report only minimal damage to my loco. One loose sand-box and one sand-pipe fouling/touching the wheels. From a quick once over, with my spectacles on, everything else seems fine. The position and fit of the lubricators is a little suspect and a tiny patch of paint has been missed from a small area of pipe-work, plus, as I have noted on one or two other models, a small flake of black paint has come away from the otherwise flawlessly painted wheel rims (I do hope that this wont become a perennial problem due to poor priming - I may have to key the area before weathering - painted wheel rims are a great feature hope that it wont become problematic though :cry: ). The chimney is well fitted, although 'Ernie', one can still see the join :derisive: . Generally, notwithstanding any inaccuracies, speaking its a nice model for the money. I see what some reviewers (Andy York et al) mean re the flash present on fittings and pipe-work, again a bit of s shame, as they are so nicely and realistically painted, it would have been better if they had been, for the sake of 30 seconds worth of work of sanding or a scalpel run over them just to make perfect prior to painting (I have seen on 'How its Made' one manufacturer do just that).

Its a nice weighty model and having mentioned the above I am not sure how Dapol can do it for the price - perhaps I would have paid a little more for better packaging so that the model arrived safe and sound and had somewhere to live (I wont attempt to put in back in the plastic wrapper as that's asking for trouble! :help: ) - I hope that they have - or will - make a profit from the sales of the Terriers and thus look to progress with 08 with a little more 7mm experience and hindsight under their belts.

The model comes with a Dapol fair play no quibble warranty - which I have yet to read. I am sorry to hear of your experiences Mike (Ressalder), that does leave one left feeling less warm and fuzzy (valued)

The Packaging:

The outer box and the plain card wrapper are up to the job and the foam within the box helps keep the horrid plastic packaging (wrapper) a little more secure. The loco is wrapped in that plastic/rubberised tissue type 'paper/sheet' and then clad in the hard clear plastic outer wrapper, which itself is then kept together with a clear plastic sleeve - and, from what I can tell, unless dropped from a great height or run over by a forklift truck the loco stays firm within. Without the tissue-paper/sheet, or if not well wrapped in such, the model would be at risk of paint damage. Summing this aspect up - in haste - I am left wondering if some of the 'damage' is QC issues and/or when the plastic wrapper is applied around the model? I can imagine on the packing line that time is of the essence so some damage could occur then??

If no one else has 32661 (formerly 61/661 'Sutton') then I shall try and take some photos over the next day or two.

I hope that the above helps, especially anyone reading the Thread for the first time.

Kind regards to all,

CME :)

PS ED, I queried several things with Tower and they kept me informed all of the way and answered any queries in addition I think that they have worked hard so as to ensure that models arrived safe and sound - I couldnt have asked for more, or better service from Tower as they were polite, friendly and efficient in this instance.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul :)

Calm down that man :mosking:  I WASNT  suggesting that we all contact Watchdog! But merely pointing out our statutory rights - I am NOT trying to start a riot, yet I believe that, despite the pedants, as modellers of 7mm, we still get a raw deal. Why? Because we encourage such behaviors from suppliers and potential suppliers - we enable them/allow them. I am not a lover of big business per se, nor monetarism/capitalism, but then neither am a communist, yet if we operate in those realms/under those market forces why is it that the likes of Dapol can continue in the vein in which they are ie models arriving damaged etc. No organisation is in its right to cause financial or material loss (in duress of any sort) to the general public/customers et al.

Your arguement re big business vs SME's regrading any qauntities produced is, I am sorry to say, in the politest terms :) , irrelevant, statutory rights and law apply to both equally, regardless. Very often smaller companies (SMEs) are often more efficient as they have to be.

It would be sad for Dapol or any of our suppliers to be 'killed off' (BTW I dont think that would happen over a packaging issue) but as I say its market forces if that happens, we are all expected to play by such rules - besides they should have got the packaging right in the first place - and as the models are heavier, thus appropriate packaging was called for.

No they havent refused to fix the models - but then they havent offered to fix the models either, or replace them and we were all told that the packaging would be improved and thus fit for purpose...

ATVB. :)

It's the mention of anything else would be taken to watchdog I felt was unnecessary ;)

I'm quite calm as I know retail law quite well after working with it for years in a previous career, that's why I highlighted the fact they'd offered a solution already that would be cheapest for them. I'm sure they'd upgrade it if it was too much for anyone to do, there's only an issue if they refuse to fix it.

Having a vent knocked off and a worksplate off too was all the problem I had and fixed in seconds, if I have the spare cash in time then another will probably join the first one too.

I agree with Matt though that altering the packaging for this batch would have delayed it a lot but it is an issue they need to look at for future models. The foam Ixion use is much better at evenly supporting a model than large vac form pieces. The vac form could be supported by a second smaller and stiffer vac form insert though underneath the wheels which is where it flexes most and I suspect as a result causes the vents to get bashed off because they are so close to the plastic on their side. Double inserts are quite common in vac form packing to sandwich certain items securely before being secured with a card backing.