Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

When is the Peckett E due?

Should be by the end of the year. Everything you need to know can be found here. Chris is very good at keeping us up to date with progress !

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96810-minerva-model-railways-a-new-o-gauge-manufacturer-is-launched-and-announces-peckett-e-class/

• 2 weeks later...

Any word or whispers out there about the first batch of Terriers?

If they are on schedule for the end of July and are coming by sea shouldn't they be on or about to be loaded on a ship anytime now? 

If it's due for July end then it should be more than half way.......So somewhere on the high seas.

Given how close they have allegedly been from time to time over the last eight or more months, I'll believe they're definitely on their way when I see them in the shops. Sorry Dapol, but you yanked my chain too many times over this one - it was ordered as last Christmas' present for my Father and I'm now hoping that it might at least arrive in time to be his birthday present in August.

• RMweb Gold

It seems odd that a 3 pole motor would cause interference when there must be a great many locomotives out there with such motors that don't have this issue.

Electrical interference is usually caused by poor design or construction of the motor rather than the number of poles on the armature.

It is more likely to occur in motors that has been built down to a price and, by definition, such motors are unlikely to have five poles.

As you say, there are plenty of three pole motors that don't cause problems so this issue evidently arose from Dapol initially selecting an inferior component for their model. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Given how close they have allegedly been from time to time over the last eight or more months, I'll believe they're definitely on their way when I see them in the shops. Sorry Dapol, but you yanked my chain too many times over this one - it was ordered as last Christmas' present for my Father and I'm now hoping that it might at least arrive in time to be his birthday present in August.

Have you deliberately left the year out so as not to disappoint :)

Having been tempted to the dark side, I have ordered a BR liveried loco to run on a planned IOW garden railway but cannot find any suitable bogie coach kits! Any advice gratefully received..

Thanks .. Andy

• RMweb Gold

I think Roxey Mouldings do the 4 coach 4 wheel rake in 7mm but don't think they do any bogie coaches. (They do quite a range in 4mm)

Perhaps if Dapol do an IOW terrier Roxley could be persuaded to do some 7mm bogie coaches?

Edited by Ryde-on-time

There  are  a  number  of  7mm coaches  available  as  kits.

Roxy  do  several  Bogie  LBSC  some  of  which  are  correct  for  IOW.  (Look  for  IOW  shape  mark  for  the  relevant  ones)

Alan  Gibson  also  produced  most  types  (Currently  not  available)

Others  have  produced  the  Bogie   LBSC  push  pull  set,  this   however  is  as  mainland  and  needs  the  driving  end  of  the  trailer  altering  for  IOW.  Some  other  odd  LBSC  and  LSWR  relevant  types  have  also been  made.

SECR   bogie  carriages  were  available  from  Bill  Bedford,  I  cant  vouch  for  these  and  internet  pictures  of  the  brake  3rd  etches  appear  to  show  major  errors.  The  saloon  looked  OK

Roxy  also  do  some  LSWR  parcel  vans  and  a  variety  of  correct  wagons.

Roxy  for  Stroudley  LBSC   4  wheelers  as  previous  post,  also  for  an  add-on  set  of  IOW  specific  parts  for  a full  rake   of  4.

D&S  produced  several  relevant  LCDR  4  wheelers  including  the  Push  Pull  set  484,  these  have  not  been  available  for  a  long  time  though  a  push  pull  kit  was  on  Ebay  last  year.

Coverage  of  Island  types  is actually  reasonably  good  but  as  always  with  kits  availabilty  can  be  very  patchy.

If  you  are  looking  to  do   an  IOW  prototype  buy  anything  relevant  when  you  can,  you  might  never  see  it again. 

Pete

Thank you all for the info. I have recently moved to the Isle of Wight having bought the old Ningwood station complete with both 180ft platforms and had always planned to build an OO gauge garden railway wherever we moved to, but now having so much space, I am leaning towards 7mm modelling of the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport line. I have already dipped my toes by an impulse Ebay purchase of a cheap modded Lima 4f with brass chassis and finescale wheels .. so much more presence than OO.

Thanks .. Andy

• Like 5

Thank you all for the info. I have recently moved to the Isle of Wight having bought the old Ningwood station complete with both 180ft platforms and had always planned to build an OO gauge garden railway wherever we moved to, but now having so much space, I am leaning towards 7mm modelling of the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport line. I have already dipped my toes by an impulse Ebay purchase of a cheap modded Lima 4f with brass chassis and finescale wheels .. so much more presence than OO.

Thanks .. Andy

Just looked on disused stations. It looks lovely, I wish you all the best. Isn't it hard to believe that there was enough traffic for a railway, let alone to need a loop for two trains to cross?

Ed

You never know, if the tunnel had ever been built, a 4F might have got through.

Edited by edcayton

Thanks for pointing out Roxey Mouldings. I had forgotten about their LBSCR stuff.

The ones they have listed as going to the Isle of Wight: 4w Composite4w Third4w Brake 3rd.

Careful  with  this,

The  4w  composites   were  to  be  sent  over  but  what  actually  came  were  4  comp  firsts,  these  then  had  the  two  outer  compartments  downgraded  to  3rd  for  use  as  composites,  (Roxy  do  also  make  these  firsts).

There  were  two  Stroudley  4w  sets  each  formed  of  2  brake  thirds,  one  third  and  a  composite (ex  first)

A  rake  of  these would  be  correct  for  the  Freshwater  line  in  the  1920's  with  additional  vehicles  for  busy  times

There  were  also  three  Billington  4w  sets  but  no-one  makes  suitable  types  for  these.

Pete

Thanks all .. I dont want to hijack the thread so back on topic, I guess I have until Sept/October before the Terrier starts shipping so need to trawl the web to find out any differences for the Island locos. My preference for the bogie coaches stems from when I went to Sandown on a school journey in the late 50's and travelled from Ryde Pierhead on the steam train, an unforgettable experience.

Also, I think a Connoisseur O2 kit will probably be on my Christmas list ...

Thanks ... Andy

• RMweb Premium

Roxey also bought the MSC LB&SCR range of coaches and I thought Dave was developing these to be able to be sold as a current standard kit, the originals didn't quite meet that definition !

Ask him, he may well have a load of etches ready or some old stock?

Cheers

I called Dave at Roxey and he has nothing suitable for the IOW available at this time but may have by the year end or early next year. Worsley Works list a kit for an IOW saloon 6986 but is sides, ends,floor and battery boxes only. Dave said he can supply bogies and other items so this may be a start ...

Cheers .. Andy