Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

Thank you all for the info. I have recently moved to the Isle of Wight having bought the old Ningwood station complete with both 180ft platforms and had always planned to build an OO gauge garden railway wherever we moved to, but now having so much space, I am leaning towards 7mm modelling of the Freshwater, Yarmouth and Newport line. I have already dipped my toes by an impulse Ebay purchase of a cheap modded Lima 4f with brass chassis and finescale wheels .. so much more presence than OO.

Thanks .. Andy

Andy,

You lucky chap! I'd been eyeing that place up during my regular IOW visits but it was way beyond my price bracket! It's surprising how many of the station buildings on the old lines have now become houses. I think Alverstone is my favourite followed by St Lawrence.

Enjoy!

JF

I called Dave at Roxey and he has nothing suitable for the IOW available at this time but may have by the year end or early next year. Worsley Works list a kit for an IOW saloon 6986 but is sides, ends,floor and battery boxes only. Dave said he can supply bogies and other items so this may be a start ...

Cheers .. Andy

I've built some of the Gibson LBSCR coaches *here* if it's any help but I've had no luck sourcing the SECR types.

Jon F.

I've built some of the Gibson LBSCR coaches *here* if it's any help but I've had no luck sourcing the SECR types.

Jon F.

Thats a great link Jon, especially as I too have not built a brass coach before. I rang the Alan Gibson Workshop and left a message enquring about availability as I could not see the kits on the .pdf ..

Many thanks .. Andy

Andy,

You lucky chap! I'd been eyeing that place up during my regular IOW visits but it was way beyond my price bracket! It's surprising how many of the station buildings on the old lines have now become houses. I think Alverstone is my favourite followed by St Lawrence.

Enjoy!

JF

We have only been here for 6 months, so visiting the other former stations in on the list of things to do .. Along with restoring the Ningwood up platform which still has the old waiting room .. Loving retirement .. :sungum:

• Like 1

Anyway, back on topic, from a quick search of the forum and web, I can find mention of the following mods to the Island Terriers:

Extended coal bunker

Relocation of sandbox and tank fillers

Buffer beam mods

I assume not all mods were applied to all the Locos so I guess it is going to be name/number specific ...

I plan to visit Havenstreet with my Box Brownie  and take lots of pictures of W8 and W11.

Any advice or links again gratefully received.

Thanks .. Andy

Re  Island  Terrier  mods:

All  these depend  on  date.  The terriers  as  originally  purchased  by  the  IWCR  were  as  in  LBSC  service.

Bunkers  were  extended  later

Sandboxes  remained  as  built,  the  Southern  imported  locos  had  repositioned  boxes  as  per  the  SR  A!X  rebuild.

Locos  rebuilt  as  A!X  on the  Island  retained  the  original  Sandboxes.

The  FYN  loco  (W2  later  W8)  arrived  with  a  non-standard  LSWR  boiler,  later  replaced  with  an  A!X  one.

Tank  fillers  were  all  as  built  and  never  moved.  Feed  water  heating  pipes  were  removed.

Note:  The  Dapol / Hornby  Terrier  has  always  had  the  tank  filler  in  the  wrong  place.

Buffer  beams  remained  as  built  but  buffer  position  was  raised  upwards  to  be  more  suitable  to  later  height  standards.

Other  detail  mods  are  that  the  two   last  survivors  (W8 &  W13)  had  LSWR  opening  cab  windows  fitted ,  probably  during  WW2,  most  if  not  all  locos  received  cab  doors,  W8,  W11  &  W13  also  had  front  footsteps.

Most  were  Push  Pull  fitted.

Chimney  types  varied,  most  latterley  carrying  LSWR  Drummond  type.

For  an  accurate  model  of  any  loco  date  is  important  to  establish  the  details,  close  reference  to photos  is  essential  fortunately   photo  coverage  is  very  good.

Pete

I am surprised by the push-pull fitment as I did not know this type of working was done on the Island. How close are 8 and 11 to when they worked on the Island? You will need to check with photo's from your chosen era as you said.

Ed

Thanks Pete, some very useful info there ..

Ed, I guess a chat with the knowledgable people at Havenstreet will reveal how W8 and W11 differ in their restored state ..

My ambitious plan is to build an end to end line along one of the existing platform edges, over the track bed with representations of stations at Freshwater, Ningwood and the bay at Newport Station used by the FYN.

My research so far seems to show that most of the Terriers were transported from the Island back to the mainlandby by the late 40's being replaced by the O2's so parhaps I can model 2 eras, i.e. the 20's and the 50's when I first visited. I think the stations stayed more or less the same during that time ....

BTW, the locos will be radio controlled and battery powered as I have already built an R/C unrebuilt and a rebuilt Bullied loco in OO .. But thats another story ..

Cheers .. Andy

Edited by Andy1066

The  Ventnor  West  branch  was  Push-Pull  worked  from  early  southern  days  to  its  closure.

By  late  SR  times  this  was  the  principal  use  for  the  Terriers  along  with  light  goods  and  the  Cement  Mill  chalk  trains.

Once  the  Cement  mill  closed  (1944)  there  was  no  justification  to  retain the  class  and  two  Push-Pull  fitted  O2s  came  over  to  replace  the  last  of  the  terriers  (1949).  These  had  a  very  short  life  on  Push-Pull  workings  as  the  Ventnor  West  branch  closed  in  1952  the  fittings  then  being  removed.

Both  8  &  11  are  close  to  the  condition  they  finished  IOW  service  in  however  no  Push-Pull  equipment  or  cab  doors.

Both  have  front  steps  which  is  a  late  addition  and  not  correct  for  their  current  livery  in  SR  Olive  Green

11  carries  a  Wheeler  &  Hurst  type  chimney  (correct  for  early  SR).  That  on  8  is  a  Drummond  (correct  for  late  SR)

Pete

Oops  .. Getting carried away there .. just realised that the FYN closed in Sept 1953 and my first visit was in 1959 - Never mind its my railway and I can apply artistic licence if I want .... :locomotive:

• Like 1

Oops  .. Getting carried away there .. just realised that the FYN closed in Sept 1953 and my first visit was in 1959 - Never mind its my railway and I can apply artistic licence if I want .... :locomotive:

Surely your Bulleids could have worked through the tunnel with through trains for Newport-change for various Island destinations.

Ed

Back OT, does anyone have any idea what this little chap is going to have between the frames? I take it that some representation of working motion is unlikely.

Ed

Don't be impatient. You've only got a week or so to wait to see for yourself. They should arrive any day now according to the latest news from Dapol!

http://Dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information/news&news_id=118

Or maybe not :scratchhead:.

There  are  a  number  of  7mm coaches  available  as  kits.

Roxy  do  several  Bogie  LBSC  some  of  which  are  correct  for  IOW.  (Look  for  IOW  shape  mark  for  the  relevant  ones)

Alan  Gibson  also  produced  most  types  (Currently  not  available)

Others  have  produced  the  Bogie   LBSC  push  pull  set,  this   however  is  as  mainland  and  needs  the  driving  end  of  the  trailer  altering  for  IOW.  Some  other  odd  LBSC  and  LSWR  relevant  types  have  also been  made.

SECR   bogie  carriages  were  available  from  Bill  Bedford,  I  cant  vouch  for  these  and  internet  pictures  of  the  brake  3rd  etches  appear  to  show  major  errors.  The  saloon  looked  OK

Roxy  also  do  some  LSWR  parcel  vans  and  a  variety  of  correct  wagons.

Roxy  for  Stroudley  LBSC   4  wheelers  as  previous  post,  also  for  an  add-on  set  of  IOW  specific  parts  for  a full  rake   of  4.

D&S  produced  several  relevant  LCDR  4  wheelers  including  the  Push  Pull  set  484,  these  have  not  been  available  for  a  long  time  though  a  push  pull  kit  was  on  Ebay  last  year.

Coverage  of  Island  types  is actually  reasonably  good  but  as  always  with  kits  availabilty  can  be  very  patchy.

If  you  are  looking  to  do   an  IOW  prototype  buy  anything  relevant  when  you  can,  you  might  never  see  it again. 

Pete

I have contacted Colin at Alan Gibson Workshop re: IOW coaches and he has a 6 and a 7 compartment brake and an all 3rd to go with the Terrier. I think the 3rd will be OK for the IOW but not sure about the brakes as it appears they were modified when brought to the Island?

Ta .. Andy

• RMweb Premium

How many Terriers were on the Island at the peak? I knew they worked Ventnor West ( though not about push/pull), but what other work did they do?

Ed

There were 8 Island Terriers, the book of the same name shows them on a range of passenger & goods workings on the IoW Rail network. 7 were there at the peak.

Dava

Hello

LBSC  6  compartment brake  certainly  OK,  I  would  have  to  check  on  the  7  but  I  think  so.

(Check  they  are  54' over  headstocks)

The  LBSC  brakes were  little  altered.

Island  mods  would  be  removal  of  Duckets  if  fitted  and  over  time  flush  tin  sheeting  over  some / all  panelling.

The  GIbson  kits  I  have  are  all  correct  for  IOW.  I  have  built  a  5  comp  one,  a  6  remains  in  the  stash.

The   SECR  brakes  used  on  the  Island  are  the  carriages  which  were  very  heavily  modified,  I  know  of  no  suitable  kit  for  these  however  they  only  arrived  on  the  Island  as  the  last  of  the  Terriers  was  leaving.

What  is  not  available  at  the  moment  is  the  LBSC  Composite  (Gibson  did  do  one)

All  trains  would  have  had  some  first  class  provision.

Another  Loco  worth  thinking about  is  the  Ixion  Hudswell  Clarke,  this  looks  similar  to  the   Manning  Wardle  0-6-0T  owned  by  the  FYN  and  later  run  as  W1  "Medina",  not  100%  match  in  dimensions  it  could  however  be  cosmetically  detailed  to  give  a  plausible  model.  This  could  have  been  used  with   LBSC  4  wheelers  such  as  the  Roxy  ones  but  was  mainly  used  for  Goods  and  Medina  Wharf  shunter  in  Southern  days  (Withdrawn  1932)

As  above  there  were  8  Terriers  used  on the  Island  with  a  maximum  number  in  use  of  7.

Names  were  added  in  1928

W  2    Later  renumberd  8  "Freshwater"

W  3    Later  renumbered  13    "Carisbrooke"

W  4    Later  renumbered  14   "Bembridge"

W  9    Later    scrapped  and  a  replacement  took  the  same  number   "Fishbourne"

W 10   "Cowes"

W 11  "Newport"

W 12  "Ventnor"

2,3 & 4  were  renumbered  in  1932   to  free  the  numbers  for  use  with  E1  class  locomotives  then  arriving.

Late  1930s   when  the  Freshwater  and  Bembridge  lines  went  over  to  02  haulage  numbers  were  reduced  to  3  covering  the  remaining  duties  of  the  Ventnor  West  line   and  light  goods.  (W8,  11  &  13)

Pete

Is this one from Worsley Works of interest?

Best wishes

Eric

Yes, I saw that Eric but am going for the Alan Gibson coaches as they seem the most complete and Jon F. has a brilliant workshop thread detailing his build of 4 coaches which will help a great deal seeing as these will be my first attempt at 7mm brass kits ... :O

Thanks .. Andy