Dapol "O" gauge Terrier.

Multiple identity account

For anyone with the Southern green version the attached pic might be worth a look. It was undated, unfortunately, but I'd guess at mid to late 1930's.

post-25253-0-63193500-1440620349_thumb.jpg

Main points for the "purist"; third pipe on rear buffer beam (possibly push/pull fitted); cab backplate painted black not lined green and condensing pipes between smokebox and side tanks. Also, note the height of that coal stack!

• Like 6

For anyone with the Southern green version the attached pic might be worth a look. It was undated, unfortunately, but I'd guess at mid to late 1930's.

attachicon.gif2644.jpg

Main points for the "purist"; third pipe on rear buffer beam (possibly push/pull fitted); cab backplate painted black not lined green and condensing pipes between smokebox and side tanks. Also, note the height of that coal stack!

A very nice picture.  I suspect the third pipe is the air brake.  Lots of inspiration for weatherning the model...

I should have my Southern Green Terrier tomorrow. It looks a stunning model but i am disappointed that Dapol have left the condensing pipes off as this is a big error. I am hopeful that the condensing pipes are included in the accessory bag.

Edited by lswrm7

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the vociferous Dapol critics should finally acknowledge that a good model has resulted here at a very good value price for the first batch, albeit several years later than promised. I await my blue one.No reason why the 08 should not be as good.

The Gauge 0 loco kit industry is already in decline. I don't know if there is a connection but why would you build one of these?

Dava

You'd build one if you wanted a particular variation.

Kit building is declining because manufacturers have been slow to take up new developments etched brass is a bit archaic. It works, but there are cheaper and just as effective methods for producing many parts that were previously etched.

I've had the loco out of the box a few times and looked through various pictures.

I like the fact that there are several things I can add; Coal, Below Solebar detail, Condensing Pipes (not in the detail parts bag - there isn't one), Air Brake stand pipe and hoses, Train Crew etc.

There's nothing I need to remove, at least I don't think so.

The only thing I will probably change are the couplings.  The way the coupling joins the drawbar behind the hook is functional, but not realistic.  As part of the locos 'face' and part of its operation I would like something better.  Any suggestions in that respect would be appreciated.  The removed couplings will get re-used on a 'fitted' wagon.

The photo in post #431 was taken at Havant in 1937 so the condensing pipes were removed after that date and when it received it's unlined black livery. The loco was withdrawn in 1951 in plain black livery with British Railways on the tanks and numbered 32644 all in sunshine lettering.

I spoke to Richard Webster at Kettering earlier this year about the pipes and he said that it was too late too either add them or renumber the loco to suit the model configuration. I have only found a photo of I think, 2636 which complies.

Either way, mine will be with me today and will stay 'as is', but I am hoping to rename my sound fitted 'Thames' to 'Millwall' when that arrives next month.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

That black cab back could be the result of a shed repaint to cover rust appearing as a result of paint being knocked off by coal.  Wouldn't happen now but the thirties had different standards.

Oddly Hornby did the opposite with their Backworth WD Saddletank, No.49.  They painted the cab back black where the real thing was green and fully lined - and kept clean.

Les

Anyone fitted a decoder yet? Curious to know the amount of space inside...

I haven't worked out how to get it apart yet. If anyone's managed it, I'd appreciate a step by step guide. Shame Dapol didn't include any info on this - or anything else!

Looks like the vociferous Dapol critics should finally acknowledge that a good model has resulted here at a very good value price for the first batch, albeit several years later than promised. I await my blue one.No reason why the 08 should not be as good.

The Gauge 0 loco kit industry is already in decline. I don't know if there is a connection but why would you build one of these?

Dava

Dava,

The photos look good, I'll be looking out for them at Guildex in a couple of weeks to see one 'in the plastic' so to speak.

An interesting point regarding kit/rtr, whilst tempted, as I have a Vulcan kit for the Terrier to build I picked up at a very reasonable price at an exhibition, I have yet to give into temptation. Some people just prefer building kits. Personally, I'm not averse to rtr locos, but with a rather nice kit for the prototype to build which I can make into a unique model and enjoy building at the same time.

Of course, there is the temptation to have an A1 and an A1X, one kit built and one Dapol. But that would be silly wouldn't it....? :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Mine has just arrived and it's a beautiful little model. Its inaccuracies are now well documented on this thread but don't let that stop you from buying one, at this price it's got to be a bargain. 

Overner, the bucket with the sprue of locomotive  tools from the Ixion HC is available separately and available from a number of shops for just under £4, try Tower Models or Antics Online and probably elsewhere as well.

Has anyone noticed a small QC error. I've just received my second Terrier and noticed that the coupling rods are fitted differently on each. The first had the rods correctly jointed ahead of the centre drivers, the second had the joint behind.

Hopefully it should be a straightforward job to reverse the incorrect one but annoying to have to do it!

post-25253-0-98816600-1440677995_thumb.jpg

My only reason for owning a Terrier would be to model the Edge Hill Light Railway as this is close to home and had two second hand Terriers.  To be honest, they were never in good condition and it would be a shame to take one of the Dapol models and weather them down, so I would opt for building a kit, partly because I would prefer to build rather than buy RTR.  The value for money of the Dapol Terrier is very encouraging for the O Gauge hobbyist.  I hope they sell well and provide stimulus for other models to come.

Has anyone noticed a small QC error. I've just received my second Terrier and noticed that the coupling rods are fitted differently on each. The first had the rods correctly jointed ahead of the centre drivers, the second had the joint behind.

Hopefully it should be a straightforward job to reverse the incorrect one but annoying to have to do it!

Hi Overner,

The rods on my 2644 are also incorrect. I have been looking at photographs in my copy of 'Stroudley and his Terriers' (Tom Middlemass) and a photo of No. 46 Newington shows that even the LBSCR couldn't always get the rods right, unless of course they had some good reason to try them wrong way round and later photographs of it in LSWR & Southern ownership show the rods now corrected.

One of the pitfalls of having equal spacing of the wheelbase :O Mine are also 'back to front' and I think that before I try and sort it out myself, I will contact Dapol to ask how the crankpins are fitted to the wheels I do not wish to go down a re-quartering road.

Otherwise I am very pleased with it.

cheers

Mike

Just received an email from Hattons to say my pre-order has been processed and it should be on its way tomorrow ... Has anyone removed the body yet? I will be converting to Radio Control so need to find space for a decent capacity LiPo battery(s).

Thanks .. Andy