RMweb

Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

Gotta Tri-ang blue pullman do that count as a bullet train :scratchhead: :scratchhead:

I had converted the motor cars from WR ones to LMR ones, done the kitchen cars and had started to think about what to use as bogies then Bachmann done thier's, which I didn't buy.

I didn't know there were different types on the WR and LMS, you  / I learn something new on here every day.

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

The two principal expresses are heading to Sheffield Exchange, the York and Harrogate , an eight car (4 car Derby and 4 car Met -cam with buffet) is making its way through Doncaster and the Liverpool to Hull via Sheffield (6 car Trans Pennine) is making light work of the Pennines. Accompanied by tunes from various bands on a Riot Grrl playlist.   

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I didn't know there were different types on the WR and LMS, you  / I learn something new on here every day.

Cheers.

Hi Andy

The WR sets had second class seating in the power cars, and no loo. The LMR six car sets were ll first class, and had a bog in the power car.

Liking the running trains.

Still waiting for the music though.

Presumably the cacophonous racket you are currently assaulting us with is the equivalent of your music system clearing it's bowels to get to the good stuff?

Mike.

Naaa, Just a lack of Breeding Mike.

Needs educating on the finer things in life, like the Blues, Yes, Pink Floyd etc.

• RMweb Premium

Naaa, Just a lack of Breeding Mike.

Needs educating on the finer things in life, like the Blues, Yes, Pink Floyd etc.

Now you can fall out with some people.

This morning I done a sort of stock check on DMUs that are for Sheffield Exchange, not ones I just want a model of but ones for the layout.  I have

3 Met-Cam 2 car, 1 BRCW 2 car, 3 Derby 2 car, 1 Derby long underframe 2 car, 1 Cravens 2 car, 1 Gloucester 2 car, 1 Met Cam power twin, 1 Met-Cam (Rolls Royce) power twin, 1 Derby power twin, 2 Cravens power twins, 2 Met-Cam 3 car, 1 BRCW 3 car, 2 BRCW (Rolls Royce) 3 car, 3 Derby 3 car, 2 Met-Cam 4 car (different formations), 1 BRCW 4 car, 1 Derby 4 car, 1 Gloucester parcel van, and a 6 car Trans Pennine unit. Is that enough? What is missing?

In my pile of part built MTK kits I have a Glouscester, a Cravens, a Derby long underframe and BRCW which could be added as non powered trailers.

As for educating, this was part of my education

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yao_T2adl14

• Like 9

Now you can fall out with some people.

This morning I done a sort of stock check on DMUs that are for Sheffield Exchange, not ones I just want a model of but ones for the layout.  I have

3 Met-Cam 2 car, 1 BRCW 2 car, 3 Derby 2 car, 1 Derby long underframe 2 car, 1 Cravens 2 car, 1 Gloucester 2 car, 1 Met Cam power twin, 1 Met-Cam (Rolls Royce) power twin, 1 Derby power twin, 2 Cravens power twins, 2 Met-Cam 3 car, 1 BRCW 3 car, 2 BRCW (Rolls Royce) 3 car, 3 Derby 3 car, 2 Met-Cam 4 car (different formations), 1 BRCW 4 car, 1 Derby 4 car, 1 Gloucester parcel van, and a 6 car Trans Pennine unit. Is that enough? What is missing?

In my pile of part built MTK kits I have a Glouscester, a Cravens, a Derby long underframe and BRCW which could be added as non powered trailers.

As for educating, this was part of my education

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yao_T2adl14

Hawkwind, GOOD CHOICE. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy

The WR sets had second class seating in the power cars, and no loo. The LMR six car sets were ll first class, and had a bog in the power car.

And the best passenger ride of all was in those 2nd Class seats in the power cars.  Ah the delights of a Western Pullman high tea with those delectable steak sandwiches :sungum: , always something to look forward to when travelling back east after a week 'on loan' to the Cardiff Division, hmm, 51 years ago   :O   PS. The high tea was of course on BR expenses ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And the best passenger ride of all was in those 2nd Class seats in the power cars.  Ah the delights of a Western Pullman high tea with those delectable steak sandwiches :sungum: , always something to look forward to when travelling back east after a week 'on loan' to the Cardiff Division, hmm, 51 years ago   :O   PS. The high tea was of course on BR expenses ;)

Was that like the Eastern where, if he knew you were OCS, one of the Chief Stewards would ask how much you wanted the receipt made out for?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Was that like the Eastern where, if he knew you were OCS, one of the Chief Stewards would ask how much you wanted the receipt made out for?

Is that why us mere mortals had to pay high price for our fares?

• RMweb Gold

No - it was back in the days of scale expenses where whatever you actually paid you simply got the official amount for that meal/time of day.  I haven't got any old TSSA books to check the amounts and I can't remember the detail but if you had the steak sandwiches you were spending a couple of bob (10p) of your own money at the very most.  In any case I was on full day & night expenses anyway as I was working away from Home Station - and based in the old TVR HQ offices at Cardiff Queen Street.

• RMweb Premium

No - it was back in the days of scale expenses where whatever you actually paid you simply got the official amount for that meal/time of day.  I haven't got any old TSSA books to check the amounts and I can't remember the detail but if you had the steak sandwiches you were spending a couple of bob (10p) of your own money at the very most.  In any case I was on full day & night expenses anyway as I was working away from Home Station - and based in the old TVR HQ offices at Cardiff Queen Street.

Ah yes, I remember the scale expenses from my early days in Glasgow. Amazing how many folk used to leave Buchanan House at about 1100 to visit a depot and not get back until after 1400...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For when approaching buffer stops...

So that's what Ben Jones did before model railways......

(And thanks for the Daisy Duke reminder :sungum: )

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Clive & other DMU fans

I was in WH Smiths this afternoon and bought the Modern Locomotives Illustrated mag, June-July 2018 No 231 entitled Departmental Multiple Units. Well illustrated and interesting, lots of info for the departmental DMU modeler.

Brit15

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Cor Blimey, it is has been a bit of time since Exchange has been in action. I have been busy with Pig Lane (Western Region). Last night I was a guest of Mr Cheffus and his wonderful N gauge model railway. The stock Paul has built is far better than my 4mm stuff, superbly detailed.

Back to exchange I have had a short running session and listening to these lovely ladies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Last night I was a guest of Mr Cheffus and his wonderful N gauge model railway. The stock Paul has built is far better than my 4mm stuff, superbly detailed.

Hi Clive

It was a pleasure.

Cheers

Paul