Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

I have a lot of information on railways mainly relating to diesel and electrics of the 1960 which I am more than willing to share. But from today on wards should anyone think I can help them please put a request to me via a PM as I am fed up with certain bullies who want to prove me wrong.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

I have a lot of information on raiwlays mainly relating to diesel and electrics of the 1960 which I am more than willing to share. But from today on wards should anyone think I can help them please put a request to me via a PM as I am feed up with certain bullies who want to prove me wrong.

No-one should be bullied, especially on a toy train website - put in a complaint to the Mods / Andy. (Not that I'm telling you what to do, of course...)

• RMweb Premium

Did you read it? If you did what did they all mean?

I did like the bit about "back in the Historical Analogue days....." There you go I am Hysterical  Hosterical  old fashioned, great. :sungum: :sungum:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Completely with you on the "I must have it" brigade.

Many moons ago I built an MTK D600 on a Hornby 47 chassis, and I certainly won't be showing that to anyone, although I learnt a lot doing it!

John.

As requested, here are a couple of views of D604, plus a couple of another kit effort of mine, "Falcon", hopefully showing that my later stuff isn't quite as rubbish.

The MTK "Cossack" runs on a Hornby 47 chassis, reasonably well in fact, and didn't look so bad until I airbushed some satin varnish, which bloomed as you can see. I rang the then owner of Precision paints, who recommended I weather it heavily, not I hasten to add the present owner or the one before. I've been wary of varnish ever since, and it went in a drawer for 25 plus years. I could try T cut, fit some etched roof grilles, complete the glazing and weather it I suppose.

"Falcon" is a Silver Fox body, with L&J etched grilles, on a dual motored Lima chassis with Ultrascales and lots of weight. It is very strong and runs well with a determined sound, people forget that its only since the arrival of 66's that diesels went quiet! I'm not convinced about my "lime" shade, probably a bit light, but then having looked at a lot of pics I don't think the Heljan colours are right either.

John.

post-7782-0-92918600-1527171727.jpg

post-7782-0-94562100-1527171748.jpg

post-7782-0-66570500-1527171773.jpg

post-7782-0-64842500-1527171798.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

HI John

They look OK. Knowing the work involved with an MTK kit to get it to the painting stage is good.

I have a Silver Fox Falcon and a hand built one. I will dig them out later and take some snaps of them.

HI John

They look OK. Knowing the work involved with an MTK kit to get it to the painting stage is good.

I have a Silver Fox Falcon and a hand built one. I will dig them out later and take some snaps of them.

This is the other end of "Falcon" with a "Master Cutler" headboard, I realise the other two pics both showed the same end. On that one 7J03 is the 11.15 Mansfield to Whitemoor coal, which the loco worked regularly, sadly it seems without any photographic record.

John.

post-7782-0-66233000-1527173379_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Clive, did you paint the silver Fox one, or was it bought like that? They make quite a pair, it's a pity there was only one for real as I'd really like to have them in all three liveries!

The colour scheme of the lime & chestnut one I find a real puzzle, and it may even have changed in the four years. In some photos, the roof is clearly paler than the lime green, a kind of off-white/ pale cream, and this isn't due only to back lighting. The lime in my pictures has actually come out lighter than on my model, and in turn I think it's still a bit light, although from pictures the real thing looks to have faded in service. There's a shot somewhere taken from the GC line at Loughborough with the loco at the back of the Brush Works with the lime looking pretty pale in comparison to the surroundings, this is the one with a small yellow warning panel. I think the SYP was painted on for illustration but it never ran in that scheme, being fully repainted in the later green scheme like your scratchbuilt model. That must have been quite a challenge to do in plasticard, and yours has come out well.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive, did you paint the silver Fox one, or was it bought like that? They make quite a pair, it's a pity there was only one for real as I'd really like to have them in all three liveries!

The colour scheme of the lime & chestnut one I find a real puzzle, and it may even have changed in the four years. In some photos, the roof is clearly paler than the lime green, a kind of off-white/ pale cream, and this isn't due only to back lighting. The lime in my pictures has actually come out lighter than on my model, and in turn I think it's still a bit light, although from pictures the real thing looks to have faded in service. There's a shot somewhere taken from the GC line at Loughborough with the loco at the back of the Brush Works with the lime looking pretty pale in comparison to the surroundings, this is the one with a small yellow warning panel. I think the SYP was painted on for illustration but it never ran in that scheme, being fully repainted in the later green scheme like your scratchbuilt model. That must have been quite a challenge to do in plasticard, and yours has come out well.

John.

Hi John

The Silver Fox model came from a late fellow club member when his collection was disposed of. I think John brought it RTR.

As for the lime green livery, I don't know too much about it. Now you have me looking in my books for more information.

The other one was fun to build, there is nothing too hard in making your own. If you can make a box in plastic card to the correct dimensions you are half way there. But why bother today, when the D600s are finally with us we would have had every major main line diesel except,

10100 the Fell engine

10800 the Ivatt Bo-Bo

10800 Hawk, as above but rebuilt.

DHP1 the 4 engined Clayton

D226 and D227, the English Electric 0-6-0 locos, they were designed for trip freight and had a top speed of 40 mph

11001 Mr Bulleid's 0-6-0 also designed for trip freight.

Then bung in the Cuban class 47 as they ran on trials before dispatching overseas. 

Not much left to model, 15 or 16 if you model 10800 in both guises and all ten Cuban locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

The Silver Fox model came from a late fellow club member when his collection was disposed of. I think John brought it RTR.

As for the lime green livery, I don't know too much about it. Now you have me looking in my books for more information.

The other one was fun to build, there is nothing too hard in making your own. If you can make a box in plastic card to the correct dimensions you are half way there. But why bother today, when the D600s are finally with us we would have had every major main line diesel except,

10100 the Fell engine

10800 the Ivatt Bo-Bo

D226 and D227, the English Electric 0-6-0 locos, they were designed for trip freight and had a top speed of 40 mph

Then bung in the Cuban class 47 as they ran on trials before dispatching overseas. 

Not much left to model, 15 or 16 if you model 10800 in both guises and all ten Cuban locos.

Once you've done all that lot you could move on to 18000,18100 and GT3...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Once you've done all that lot you could move on to 18000,18100 and GT3...

Hi John

What? Make a second GT3 when I haven't finished the first one !!!

As for the other 2 they are G*R engines.

Sorry self censoring keyboard

• RMweb Gold

I've always thought that Clive had a couple of screws loose with his penchant for Slaters flat-pack prototype kits, but last weekend a man I met at a show confirmed that Clive is completely sane... The chap I met had scratchbuilt many of the diesel prototypes - the Fell, 18000, GT3 etc. IN N GAUGE!!!

Andi 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I've always thought that Clive had a couple of screws loose with his penchant for Slaters flat-pack prototype kits, but last weekend a man I met at a show confirmed that Clive is completely sane... The chap I met had scratchbuilt many of the diesel prototypes - the Fell, 18000, GT3 etc. IN N GAUGE!!!

Andi 

He sounds completely sane, well apart form the N gauge bit. :sungum: :sungum: :crazy: :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi John

10100 the Fell engine

10800 the Ivatt Bo-Bo

Now there's a list to grow old with!

Did you see the build of DHP1 by "Jesse 1692" of this parish, in "Modifying and Detailing RTR stock", which used Heljan Clayton bits and some plasticard to produce a very convincing outcome. 

I have an A1 models brass kit for the Fell in my cupboard, sad to say it's been there a long time, and have seen at least one made up at a Show, on "Annsome Fell" IIRC.

Judith Edge do the Bulleid 11001, and Dave Alexander 10800 in kit form, I don't know if there are kits for the EE shunters, but judging from your production of other small shunters I suspect you'd make one quite easily!

How good to have a hobby where we never get bored!

John.