Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I have to inform you all, that NO DCC was mentioned all day, (apart from the Doghnut Count Controller) and apart from Mine Host forgetting to switch switches etc all the Trains ran as sweet as any I have seen anywhere, and a darn site better than I've seen at most shows where an awful lot of finger poking normally takes place.

Thank You Andy.

The stock that ran yesterday was not chosen specially for John, Jeff and you. It was the stock I have been ruuning the past few months. Am so pleased you thought it ran well. The same cannot be said for the geezer operating that huge untidy, nay scruffy, control panel. If he didn't natter so much fings might have run betterer.

I am convinced the more people use their layouts the better the layout and stock runs. Exhibition layouts can be left packed up until the week or so before the next show when they are erected to repair the faults from last time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am convinced the more people use their layouts the better the layout and stock runs. Exhibition layouts can be left packed up until the week or so before the next show when they are erected to repair the faults from last time.

Strongly agree . And any niggling little bugs crawl out and eventually get swatted.

Quite apart from any other consideration , having a layout - any layout - at home means that your stock gets properly tested . And fixed. I've seen a few prized models "built to run on the club layout" which actually would not run / stay on the track - faults that the builders were oblivious of , because they'd never tried running the things themselves, not having a layout of their own - and by the look of it, not wanting one

My 155 would look ok in a glass case. The fact that the motor bogie has seized (possibly due to years of intermittent storage and a failure to oil the central spindle of the motor bogie) and the thing still won't take the kink  on the back route into Platform 2 due to unresolved coupler/gangway issues would pass unnoticed to someone with no layout... But in my book that's an unresolved project and a non-runner in which a lot of work has been invested. Trying to concoct a cradle to take a Hornby Javelin motor bogie (not a 100% match but the best I could find) is probably now top of the List of Jobs to Do... 

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hit the nail on the head there. It drives me nuts when I spend an afternoon/day out and get charged to see a layout(s) that doesn’t run properly . I want to be inspired to raise my own mediocre standards to a higher level, but I could stay at home and build one that doesn’t work. Grrrr.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

36 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have just come into the playroom and noticed that all five steam locos "on shed" after yesterday's session are all 2-6-0s, a Stanier mogul, a K3, a BR class 4 , an Ivatt class 2 and a K1.

Hi Clive,

Where they turned correctly for their next duties as should be the case or where they over the pits at various stages of disposal ?

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

Where they turned correctly for their next duties as should be the case or where they over the pits at various stages of disposal ?

Gibbo.

At the time I wrote about them, one was over the ash pit with its tender under the coaler. Another one was under the water crane. OK I ain't got a model of one yet but it was where the crane will be.  The other three had all be turned waiting for their next duties. 

As I write the Standard 4 is now on the front of the non-gangway train to Bradford via Doncaster. the other four are now all turned and ready to go. On the ash pit and coaler is a Fairburn class 4 tank. 

Circumnavigating the train set are two DMUs going somewhere.   

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Today's operating session has now concluded with the arrival of the empty stock for the evening rush hour train to Huddersfield composed of mk1 non gangway coaches behind a Brush Type 2. Followed by a 3 car Met-Cam on a Manchester to Sheffield stopping service.

Something about Tracie in those days.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

We now follow the Huddersfield train with the Standard 4 on the front as it departs.

011a.jpg.361d10bdb0ac0d7316cb5a049d694fe2.jpg

Waiting for a green signal.

012a.jpg.1ab145741be0328da03d798effb8b741.jpg

We are off.

013a.jpg.7b9032eeee6fc53120fe2c3572037673.jpg

Off the train goes under Enterprise Bridge.

014a.jpg.9d4bf3dea7a79eec8a4649154b25c955.jpg

The loco that brought the train to Sheffield is waiting clearance to the diesel sidings.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

The Sulzer Bo-Bo stays put while a Wakefield bound Met-Cam  unit starts its journey.

015a.jpg.b7581718f6d74b82ce7d214d57f2e3e2.jpg

Off it goes to Wakefield passing the newly (model wise ) installed signals

016a.jpg.d510b9cbbef7a51129f4528bfe9ef758.jpg

About to take the GNR line under Dignity Street Bridge.

017a.jpg.aec43c6b0ab004c763711ccd4114c823.jpg

Note the different yellow panels, the loco on the left has a typical ER one with the green line below it and the one on the right is a Derby works square corner version as applied to repainted locos from about 1964 until blue became all the rage.

018a.jpg.00255dca2c2bee615712b428387ec8b1.jpg

The BR Type 2 slowly makes its way across the point work to the L&YR loco sidings.

020a.jpg.2ec8a1a9f6411390149e8b2fa9c83ed9.jpg

It reverses on to the sidings headshunt.

021a.jpg.c333f8e291558452a458adc97d5e5520.jpg

It is parked up next to a classmate in two tone green.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

We close tonight's photo shoot with the arrival of a Doncaster local in the form of some soon to be withdrawn LNER wooden coaches hauled by one of Mr Peppercorn's "Cement Mixers" and a 4 car Met-Cam DMU from Harrogate via Leeds.

023a.jpg.efc4e01ac39029944ba1fcade33b1127.jpg

First we will see what locos are on shed over on the GNR (steam) sidings. The Ivatt is over the ash pit and has just been coaled. The Fairburn is refilling its tanks with water (just imagine there is a water crane) and the other two are turned waiting their next duties.

I will let photos tell the story.

024a.jpg.f2442264782ace738721a2ef3e35f9c7.jpg

Got to log off, so i can load the rest of the photos, again I am being told I can only load 10MB. The admins tell me that is only limited to each post.

Back to the photo story.

025a.jpg.9136b601704273681b10e4dabc0d1554.jpg

026a.jpg.78612597979b9b637a38f67a7901ab17.jpg

027a.jpg.77930625194a674d5bd46ed1767300f7.jpg

028a.jpg.8be5372f8bfae2c9cfd4d7caaa475750.jpg

030a.jpg.aae2e0f90fffa1ff664ff2799b8015cb.jpg

033a.jpg.e7908ce9e5e4043e2739afc0bac684de.jpg

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 17

Hi Clive,

Good stuff as always but isn’t it Mr Thompson’s cement mixer, not Mr Peppercorn’s?

BTW you should check out the Railway Mania podcast, by Corbs of this parish, on Thompson, some interesting new insights on the man, his works and his very vocal enemies.

Best.

//Simon

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Stentor said:

Hi Clive,

Good stuff as always but isn’t it Mr Thompson’s cement mixer, not Mr Peppercorn’s?

BTW you should check out the Railway Mania podcast, by Corbs of this parish, on Thompson, some interesting new insights on the man, his works and his very vocal enemies.

Best.

//Simon

Hi Simon

Mr Thompson's L1 had a fancy curved bit of metal in front of the cylinders and Mr Peppercorn's had a gap..........................no you are right. How much did the CME design? Some were quite hands on but others just signed off the drawings and kept the directors happy.

• Like 1

On Corb’s podcast they discuss an incident when a junior queried Thompson’s placement of a lamp bracket and Thompson  himself went up a ladder against the loco with a ruler to prove the guy wrong.  

So he was quite hands on.

Thompson proved himself wrong on that occasion and apologised to the junior for doubting him. 

//Simon

• Like 3

Excellent Video young Clive, but can I point out that I put the sound on in the last one and YOU  forgot to do the Chuff Chuff and Brummm Brumm sounds.

It really does show what a superb room you have to play in.:good:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Simon

Mr Thompson's L1 had a fancy curved bit of metal in front of the cylinders and Mr Peppercorn's had a gap..........................no you are right. How much did the CME design? Some were quite hands on but others just signed off the drawings and kept the directors happy.

I thought the difference in the front end was just the difference between the North Road and Stivvies builds.

Les

• Agree 1