Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I've never won, and I don't have a Gold Medallion either, but I do enjoy running Trains, especially on Clive's Train Set.:good:

Never won except for 146 times and the last time was yesterday...well done matey. :king:

Running trains is what is all about. :locomotive::locomotive:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Never won except for 146 times and the last time was yesterday...well done matey. :king:

Running trains is what is all about. :locomotive::locomotive:

Wheeeeeee, Just seen that, I never knew I'd done that, WOW.:good:

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

In between garden and allotment tasks, I spent a few hours on the old train set.

The track's all down but I need a few more rubbery sheets (stop it!) to finish off the permanent way.  The staging yard will hold six five coach trains plus their locomotives and there's room for lots of freight too. The scissors/slips arrangement works well and allows any incoming train access to any available siding and any outgoing train access to the down main.  Some playing will now ensue, followed by my laughable attempts at scenery.

20190804_103524.jpg.b91bd9bfec2d91463a43a95cceb3df79.jpg.ee14781d6ae1cdab24cc7224ff268ce1.jpg

20190804_103347.jpg.cfd41033e014b411baca8280a5fdc18c.jpg.44f8457e420173f5ec6af31ceb4448a0.jpg

20190804_103341.jpg.a576cc7db2f2fa0e4b52b4e79a36c825.jpg.d36231791c4599d43f6f654f13134d95.jpg

20190804_103156.jpg.e0447b02d45f27f951bb51df0854c6d0.jpg.bda945a19a86f9ce3401e51c91a45886.jpg

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
typos
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

In between garden and allotment tasks, I spent a few hours on the old train set.

The track's all down but I need a few more rubbery sheets (stop it!) to finish of the permanent way.  The staging yard will hold six five coach trains plus their locomotives and there's room for lots of freight too. The scissors/skips arrangemeny works well and allows any incoming train access to any available siding and any outgoing train access to the down main.  Some playing will now ensue, followed by my laughable attempts at scenery.

20190804_103524.jpg.b91bd9bfec2d91463a43a95cceb3df79.jpg.ee14781d6ae1cdab24cc7224ff268ce1.jpg

20190804_103347.jpg.cfd41033e014b411baca8280a5fdc18c.jpg.44f8457e420173f5ec6af31ceb4448a0.jpg

20190804_103341.jpg.a576cc7db2f2fa0e4b52b4e79a36c825.jpg.d36231791c4599d43f6f654f13134d95.jpg

20190804_103156.jpg.e0447b02d45f27f951bb51df0854c6d0.jpg.bda945a19a86f9ce3401e51c91a45886.jpg

How do you keep it so tidy?

Even with a tidy up session before Mr P and the gang descended the other day my play room still looked a mess.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

How do you keep it so tidy?

Even with a tidy up session before Mr P and the gang descended the other day my play room still looked a mess.

Sorry mate, just hit the AGREE button, haha, but at least your Trains ran,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until the numpty forgot to switch the switch:P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The track's all down but I need a few more rubbery sheets (stop it!) to finish of the permanent way.  The staging yard will hold six five coach trains plus their locomotives and there's room for lots of freight too. The scissors/skips arrangemeny works well and allows any incoming train access to any available siding and any outgoing train access to the down main.  Some playing will now ensue, followed by my laughable attempts at scenery.

Hi Doc

Sorry to re-quote this but I have been finking.....and then I had to have a lie down cos it hurt. 

Well wot I was there finking about was enjoying your playing and do the scenery once you are happy with how everything runs, the locos start when they should no need for finger poking, the coaches and wagons stay on the track all the time (well most the time) and the points all perform as they should. Use your imagination when it comes to  the scenery. Make some paper buildings like I have done so you get some sort idea how you would like it to finally appear.

There is nothing worse in my mind than a layout that looks the bees knees but don't work......remember what Mr P says "....I do enjoy running Trains....." that's what it is all about, making it pretty comes second.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4
  • Agree 5

I extended the wiring just now and have a short.  Bu66er. Will track the blighter down but the old knees are not happy.

(A little later... ) I see you, you wee sh1te...

20190804_171645.jpg.52af627d3da41776146c72f83435c673.jpg

Human error as always. At least I only have two wires a red one and a black one.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Doc

Sorry to re-quote this but I have been finking.....and then I had to have a lie down cos it hurt. 

Well wot I was there finking about was enjoying your playing and do the scenery once you are happy with how everything runs, the locos start when they should no need for finger poking, the coaches and wagons stay on the track all the time (well most the time) and the points all perform as they should. Use your imagination when it comes to  the scenery. Make some paper buildings like I have done so you get some sort idea how you would like it to finally appear.

There is nothing worse in my mind than a layout that looks the bees knees but don't work......remember what Mr P says "....I do enjoy running Trains....." that's what it is all about, making it pretty comes second.

I tend to agree, but think the layout has to be convincing operationally to compensate. Yours is. 

I was at a local show recently and looking at the range of exhibits shown also got me thinking. I didn't post these thoughts at the time but you've prompted me.

There were two distinct camps - train sets and model railways. The winner of the best in show cup justified it, it was the best and was undoubtedly a very good, well modelled, model (of a) railway. As you would expect at local, small show, the build quality across the board varied between starter level, mid-range and very good. It also made me realise the differences that make that noticeable are subtle, perhaps even undefinable given the wide range of settings modelled, but you could tell which were attempts at a model railway and which were extremely well done layouts but which for a variety of reasons still had the feel of well modelled items within a train set.

Given the small layout I am building currently is intended for operation, and is using OO with code 100 track, I am sure some will argue it can never be a model railway. Hopefully, when it is done, it will be operationally interesting for me, reliable to run, and believably plausible in the way yours is Clive. 

Edited by john new
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

I extended the wiring just now and have a short.  Bu66er. Will track the blighter down but the old knees are not happy.

(A little later... ) I see you, you wee sh1te...

20190804_171645.jpg.52af627d3da41776146c72f83435c673.jpg

Human error as always. At least I only have two wires a red one and a black one.

We have all been there.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

The irony is I could have saved my aching knees and back if I'd had the wit to check the track feeds first not dive straight under the baseboard.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I can never afford the price it sells for before the event.

:-)

Paul.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, john new said:

some will argue it can never be a model railway. 

But it will be a proper model railway, a working railway in miniature, complete with trains that do things.  Far too many train themed dioramas these days, they seemed to be designed more like stage sets to show off models than models of railways.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, john new said:

I tend to agree, but think the layout has to be convincing operationally to compensate. Yours is. 

I was at a local show recently and looking at the range of exhibits shown also got me thinking. I didn't post these thoughts at the time but you've prompted me.

There were two distinct camps - train sets and model railways. The winner of the best in show cup justified it, it was the best and was undoubtedly a very good, well modelled, model (of a) railway. As you would expect at local, small show, the build quality across the board varied between starter level, mid-range and very good. It also made me realise the differences that make that noticeable are subtle, perhaps even undefinable given the wide range of settings modelled, but you could tell which were attempts at a model railway and which were extremely well done layouts but which for a variety of reasons still had the feel of well modelled items within a train set.

Given the small layout I am building currently is intended for operation, and is using OO with code 100 track, I am sure some will argue it can never be a model railway. Hopefully, when it is done, it will be operationally interesting for me, reliable to run, and believably plausible in the way yours is Clive. 

Hi John,

Interesting comment there, you end on 'and believably plausibly', a feature which is rather unfortunately missing from some otherwise excellent layouts.

The types of thing that I spot are:

• Dead straight with 'corners' at the ends -  why not a gentle curve over the whole length of the layout ?
  • Eight platform faces, a goods yard, a loco shed, a factory spur and the branch line junction all within about seven feet of track (three and half for N gauge) - less is indeed more in most occasions.
  • Absolutely symmetrical track plans - pretty rare even on the modern rationalised railways.
  • Goods yards and loops that offer no flank protection in the form of spurs, catch points or de-railers - do these people just not know ?
  • Railways that look as though the landscape has been fitted around the track plan - its the other way about in real life !!!!

There is a definite case for, if it looks right it is right. Clive's layout does have that air of believably plausible about it that you mention, there is a lot going on with out it looking overly crowded or crammed in.

Gibbo.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

there are only two wires - a red one and black one, repeated often.  :)

if I power my turnouts, I would need two more colours - eek

Two?  Shirley just a frog one wot is usually green?

Ar$£

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

But it will be a proper model railway, a working railway in miniature, complete with trains that do things.  Far too many train themed dioramas these days, they seemed to be designed more like stage sets to show off models than models of railways.

I can build them, have done so in the past.

Some can very pleasing on the eye. Some can be very boring to operate and view, or even difficult to operate. Most seem to lack that real railway feel.

One I like at the moment, and not because I built the locos and the owner is a mate, is Alan Monk's Reading Signal Works

I like layouts where there is that railway feel to them, the person modelling has looked at the prototype. He or she in many cases has seen it in a different way to me but if that vibe is present then I can enjoy it.

Layouts I do not like tend to like are copies of other layouts, repeating the same errors. 

I also have a couple of pet hates about layouts and will walk away from them if I see them. Hand point levers facing the wrong way and passengers on platform seats with their feet dangling in mid air.  And don't get me on passengers waiting for a train evenly spaced along the platform......

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi John,

Interesting comment there, you end on 'and believably plausibly', a feature which is rather unfortunately missing from some otherwise excellent layouts.

The types of thing that I spot are:

• Dead straight with 'corners' at the ends -  why not a gentle curve over the whole length of the layout ? Well if you look at the roundy roundy bit there are lots of straight bits that go into corners. That is the non scenic bit....Ok the rest isn't scenic yet.
  • Eight platform faces, a goods yard, a loco shed, a factory spur and the branch line junction all within about seven feet of track (three and half for N gauge) - less is indeed more in most occasions. 8 Platforms, a goods yard, TWO loco sheds, haven't made up my mind about the factory ( a wally pickling company would look good) and I have a branch line junction, the GNR line is the branch.
  • Absolutely symmetrical track plans - pretty rare even on the modern rationalised railways. My track plan is fairly symmetrical, but I did base it on  the 1977 track plan of Kings Cross.
  • Goods yards and loops that offer no flank protection in the form of spurs, catch points or de-railers - do these people just not know ? I was looking at BOTH loco yards and thought the lines leading to the sidings would have hand operated points, should I fit trap points? I do have some code 75 points which I could make into working traps , just using the blades and a short run of the stock and closure rials.
  • Railways that look as though the landscape has been fitted around the track plan - its the other way about in real life !!!! I am cheating on this one, I am only modelling inside the railway fence. Can anyone remember what colour knickers Mrs Jones at number 3 Station Road had out on her washing line? No because when trainspotting our eyes were fixed on the coming and goings of the trains.

There is a definite case for, if it looks right it is right. Clive's layout does have that air of believably plausible about it that you mention, there is a lot going on with out it looking overly crowded or crammed in.

Gibbo.

Thanks Gibbo,

I do think you have described my layout wonderfully. :ok:

Seriously, thank you for your kind words. I still have loads to add, like the point machines, signalling cabinets, and other items of infrastructure. The layout will need to be populated. Loads of platform trollies with parcels and mailbags on them, and a few porters. Some station staff around the ticket barriers, the odd loco crew and couple of guards on the platform, maybe some carriage cleaners having a fag break. Only a few passengers either entering a platform or the last few leaving, some more on the concourse milling around. Trainspotters at a platform end, possibly number 8 as it is the closest to the steam loco sidings. Our intrepid photographer on the end of another platform.

Both loco yards will have a few staff meandering about. I may include a PW gang looking like they are about to start or just finished working, standing clear of the line with their tools in their hands. I think the busiest area for people will be the goods shed, unloading boxes etc from the wagons on to the flat beds of the road motors. The hard part will to get them looking busy but not in action poses.

Edit...Mrs Jones at Number 3 was, the the youngsters say today , quite a bit of a MILF....what ever that means.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Mrs Jones at Number 3 was, the the youngsters say today , quite a bit of a MILF....what ever that means.

Anyone who doesn't know what it means shouldn't ask.

Having said which, it probably confirms that the garments in question were red (cf J Agutter).

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Very nice Doc. Have you thought about extending the siding at the back of the last photo round the corner into the fiddle yard, to make a continuous run for playing trains testing?

• Like 1