Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

OK there is a slight delay in the plan.

One, I watched a live show by Otava Yo, Russian folk band. Very entertaining.

Two it took me longer to sort out the pre wiring and documenting it ready for me to wire up.

Three I am doing it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

DSCF0001.JPG.cb853c24c437f51904019c9cdece846d.JPG

Dr frank-en-stein is on a break, as cannot find the other motors, so will have to go on evilbay for some more.

Whilst I am waiting, here is some other things I have been doing. Top is a DC kits 108 body kit, that was chopped into separate pieces. The doors were cut off, then a 1mm strip added to the bottom of the bodies, a extra bit inserted in the centre saloon, the glued back together.

The bottom is trix sides cut and shut, with a strip added to the bottom. Cannot find the tri-ang Hornby coach roofs I was using, so again a trip onto the bay of evil is needed.

Trying to get some of these so when the weather is warmer, can get spraying at least under coat to see how much more rubbing or filling is needed.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Have DC kits set up for notification from the bay of evil. Someone is offering a 108 centre car for £43. You could by two body kits for £60 from Charlie and make a  3 car or a centre car and a 114 with them. Don't think the bogies, chassis and under frame detailing bits are worth  that much.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

Have DC kits set up for notification from the bay of evil. Someone is offering a 108 centre car for £43. You could by two body kits for £60 from Charlie and make a  3 car or a centre car and a 114 with them. Don't think the bogies, chassis and under frame detailing bits are worth  that much.

Hi Dave,

I could have liquidated my stash and paid off my mortgage at those prices except that I don't have a mortgage so I built them all up and painted them blue instead !

Gibbo.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Yes, I saw that as well. The pricing on the D.C Kits items does seem to be quite variable, and the £120+ for the 120 might just be Sunday evening hype - it certainly wasn't me!

If I've understood you correctly you spend £103 for the Kit centre car and two bodies for a 108. You'd probably get a Bachmann 3 car 108 for that on Ebay, complete with drive unit, wheels, interior and general undergubbins, and then chop away to your hearts content. Just a thought.

John.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I need some more 101s but the only ones affordable are Triang ones. Really need a couple of Lima 3 car sets.

114 is similar profile to Lima so I may cut some overlays for them.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

No mudelling tonight,

As much as like the Banshees, especially back in the day. I can't help thinking Siouxsie set the trend for MILFs out on the pull

Hi Clive,

A little known fact is that acronym, Modal Inter-Logistical Freight was dropped in favour of the term Condor, Container-Door to Door.

Have you somehow got yourself confused with the term Condor with Cougar ?

Another little known fact is that Tartan Arrow were once used to ship The Bay City Rollers to London:

Im1966EnV222-p761c.jpg.a90ff9475f8eb75b5cb2abe0c81cb47e.jpg

Anyway what have container boxes got to do with wearing long boots and short skirts ?

Gibbo..

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

20 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I have a Bachy 105 which has the wrong DMBS van section for my needs. I was considering looking for a cheap DCK 105 which I think has the correct layout (as does the Silver Fox version) to use the appropriate parts but maybe I won't bother, going off some of the prices they seem to go for!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

As much as like the Banshees, especially back in the day. I can't help thinking Siouxsie set the trend for MILFs out on the pull

10 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Goodness. I hadn't made the connection but I think you are on the money Clive!

There are a few people I can associate the Siouxsie look with - ironically none would have been punks in their younger days - some are too young to have been punks even.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

A little known fact is that acronym, Modal Inter-Logistical Freight was dropped in favour of the term Condor, Container-Door to Door.

Good job they didn't choose Container-Door to Door, Multimodal. Would have been well sheathed presumably.

• Funny 6

2 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

I have a Bachy 105 which has the wrong DMBS van section for my needs. I was considering looking for a cheap DCK 105 which I think has the correct layout (as does the Silver Fox version) to use the appropriate parts but maybe I won't bother, going off some of the prices they seem to go for!

If you want a 105, use a MK1 chopped up. They used the standard MK1 body profile on the Craven's DMU. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

Goodness. I hadn't made the connection but I think you are on the money Clive!

What a woman!!!

Takes me back to the days of going to the Bistro in Rhyl (on a Saturday night) in the early 80s the place was full of Siouxsie look a likes...

Would catch the last train home to Colwyn Bay which I think was 1D77 22XX Manchester Victoria to Holyhead which was a 40 if you were lucky or duff/Rat or peak if you weren’t.;)

Might be a bit before your time Martyn...:)

Stu

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Takes me back to the days of going to the Bistro in Rhyl (on a Saturday night) in the early 80s the place was full of Siouxsie look a likes...

Would catch the last train home to Colwyn Bay which I think was 1D77 22XX Manchester Victoria to Holyhead which was a 40 if you were lucky or duff/Rat or peak if you weren’t.;)

I would have thought that if you got lucky you'd have missed the train...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

If you want a 105, use a MK1 chopped up. They used the standard MK1 body profile on the Craven's DMU. 

Thanks, yes it did cross my mind. Will have a look through my bits box to see if there is anything which will reduce the number of cuts which it will otherwise need.

5 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

What a woman!!!

Might be a bit before your time Martyn...:)

Stu

Hi Stu, hope you are keeping well. I did indeed venture to the Bistro, though in the late 80s/early 90s but it was much as you describe, no late train back to Prestatyn though, then as now, so it was a taxi, or walk if you'd spent up!

• Like 2

It says something about us modellers that a DC kits 101 I acquired has had the chop before anything else.

And my 105 bodies are built. I have a pair of 113 cast cabs, MTK I think. I did see if I could attach the cabs to the DC kits bodies, but they are too narrow. Do I build it as a 105 or try chopping the cab roof to make a 113?

I have some bits left over to make a centre car, do I make it a 107 or a 108? 107 because it would fit with the example that was used as a centre car in a Chester set with 120 power cars, or a 108 because I don't have a 3 car 108.

• Like 2