Sheffield Exchange, Toy trains, music and fun!

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

We had Roxy and grab a granny nite. Anybody who experienced these, the stories are endless.

And more than I will ever admit to.

Aaaah, thursday night memories, or should it be mammaries, those were the days!

Due to mathematical possibilities, we must both have been there at the same time?

Mike.

• Funny 2

The weather today just good enough for a quick primer coat, to see how my cut`n`shuts are doing, and where more work is required.

DSCF0002.JPG.1916c28b158a5d011f43f2b1b0c0e61d.JPGDSCF0003.JPG.6fc90b32107f1889e067d9c781c598e4.JPGDSCF0004.JPG.48a251eb843b4359920581e4993f4474.JPGDSCF0005.JPG.19328d5966d0c9af05d363d109eaa6dd.JPG

My single car 131 sides are surprisingly OK, considering I didn`t even fill or rub them down much, but the roof needs work on the ends where the domes are, but even there not much.

DSCF0006.JPG.a55a80fbe9fd4a76cb6da5369be0e07f.JPG

My 114 from two DC 108 needs a little more fill and rub, but not that much

DSCF0007.JPG.2125fb3af0d72ac3b2638d46b51a1ee4.JPG

But my 120 needs a lot more before smooth. Especially along the bottom edge.

Starting tomorrow, the rub down cycle starts again.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

The weather today just good enough for a quick primer coat, to see how my cut`n`shuts are doing, and where more work is required.

DSCF0002.JPG.1916c28b158a5d011f43f2b1b0c0e61d.JPGDSCF0003.JPG.6fc90b32107f1889e067d9c781c598e4.JPGDSCF0004.JPG.48a251eb843b4359920581e4993f4474.JPGDSCF0005.JPG.19328d5966d0c9af05d363d109eaa6dd.JPG

My single car 131 sides are surprisingly OK, considering I didn`t even fill or rub them down much, but the roof needs work on the ends where the domes are, but even there not much.

DSCF0006.JPG.a55a80fbe9fd4a76cb6da5369be0e07f.JPG

My 114 from two DC 108 needs a little more fill and rub, but not that much

DSCF0007.JPG.2125fb3af0d72ac3b2638d46b51a1ee4.JPG

But my 120 needs a lot more before smooth. Especially along the bottom edge.

Starting tomorrow, the rub down cycle starts again.

Hi Cheesy

Thanks for sharing the photos, well done.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2021 at 13:14, DIRTY DIESEL said:

What a woman!!!

Takes me back to the days of going to the Bistro in Rhyl (on a Saturday night) in the early 80s the place was full of Siouxsie look a likes...

Would catch the last train home to Colwyn Bay which I think was 1D77 22XX Manchester Victoria to Holyhead which was a 40 if you were lucky or duff/Rat or peak if you weren’t.;)

Might be a bit before your time Martyn...:)

Stu

That is quite a scary post.....

Why ?

Because I used to visit the Bistro in the early 80s - I even met the current Mrs Stubby there one November evening in 1983....

No, not Siouxsie lookalike, but she still turned my head.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

I never really liked going to night clubs/discos or what ever they were called in your day. I was so glad when punk came along. Having a good time at a gig was much better, made better if you did end up with a young lady (normally a Siouxsie lookalike)  but if I didn't It didn't matter. Not so keen with the punch up with some skins but that was life back then. At one gig I was about to be walloped by this geezer just as he threw his punch he went down sideways. A skinhead girl had clouted him. I ended up spending the rest of the night with her....I done as she said.

I suppose having a fight with some skins wasn't as bad as being beaten up because I was a squaddie in a non squaddie club. :blackeye:

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

I remember going for a night out in swallownest. Ex pit village. We were stood at the back, drinking, when this lass comes in and starts having a go at this other lass.

"You is shagging my bloke"

"And, if you were any good in bed he wouldn't come to me"

There then followed a massive fight between them. The landlord stepped up to try and stop it, and they both thumped him and layed him out cold, then carried on.

Or the time I visited my mate at maltby and the hell's angel left the pub through the window. You don't threaten the landlord.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I have done some work on getting the new diesel loco yard operational tonight, not much but some new switches fitted and screws used as studs for my probe and stud contact point switching. I also put in some of the wires to the new self latching relays I use for frog polarity changing. Not exciting.

I wonder if Mr Peters our muched loved bass player can cover Allegra's playing on this song,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I remember going for a night out in swallownest. Ex pit village. We were stood at the back, drinking, when this lass comes in and starts having a go at this other lass.

"You is shagging my bloke"

"And, if you were any good in bed he wouldn't come to me"

There then followed a massive fight between them. The landlord stepped up to try and stop it, and they both thumped him and layed him out cold, then carried on.

Or the time I visited my mate at maltby and the hell's angel left the pub through the window. You don't threaten the landlord.

Ahh Maltby, when I used to go clubbing in Doncaster in the mid 90's I got to know some lads from there, rough wasn't the word. If they didn't have any money they used to walk in to the pit with wheelbarrows and nick whatever they could, on more than one occasion I saw them wheeling barrows full of coal around selling it door to door. 

Was trackside (behind the fence) filming trains almost opposite Hatfield colliery one afternoon when 5 blokes appeared in view the other side of the tracks, all with sacks of coal on their backs. One was also carrying a metal shopping basket. Anyway, after walking a few yards lineside, they all proceeded to cross all the running lines to my side of the track and deposited the sacks in the back of an estate car forty or fifty yards away. At this point they realised they had a problem - a flat tyre... One came over and asked if I had a wheel brace. I thought I'd better lend him it for fear of ending up with it bent over my skull otherwise. Anyway, once the wheel was changed, the brace was gratefully returned and they were on their way with their ill-gotten gains. And the shopping basket - for sifting the dust out of the coal to ensure all was good stuff....

Steve

(Apologies to Clive for thread hijack)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stevea said:

Was trackside (behind the fence) filming trains almost opposite Hatfield colliery one afternoon when 5 blokes appeared in view the other side of the tracks, all with sacks of coal on their backs. One was also carrying a metal shopping basket. Anyway, after walking a few yards lineside, they all proceeded to cross all the running lines to my side of the track and deposited the sacks in the back of an estate car forty or fifty yards away. At this point they realised they had a problem - a flat tyre... One came over and asked if I had a wheel brace. I thought I'd better lend him it for fear of ending up with it bent over my skull otherwise. Anyway, once the wheel was changed, the brace was gratefully returned and they were on their way with their ill-gotten gains. And the shopping basket - for sifting the dust out of the coal to ensure all was good stuff....

Steve

(Apologies to Clive for thread hijack)

Ah !!!! an accessory to the crime.

Edit...hijacking my thread. These other blighters do it so no problem.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 6

20 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I never really liked going to night clubs/discos or what ever they were called in your day. I was so glad when punk came along. Having a good time at a gig was much better, made better if you did end up with a young lady (normally a Siouxsie lookalike)  but if I didn't It didn't matter. Not so keen with the punch up with some skins but that was life back then. At one gig I was about to be walloped by this geezer just as he threw his punch he went down sideways. A skinhead girl had clouted him. I ended up spending the rest of the night with her....I done as she said.

I suppose having a fight with some skins wasn't as bad as being beaten up because I was a squaddie in a non squaddie club. :blackeye:

I must met a fit looking girl in a club once . After a couple of dances she said “Come outside and I’ll show you a good time “ . So we went outside and she ran a 100 metres in 10.2 seconds:o

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ah !!!! an accessory to the crime.

Edit...hijacking my thread. These other blighters do it so no problem.

Hi Clive,

If it wasn't for all the crazy nonsense I wouldn't bother looking.

Don't you worry, I'm not saying that as one the more digressive posters on here, I do like a DMU or two !

Gibbo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Clive,

If it wasn't for all the crazy nonsense I wouldn't bother looking.

Don't you worry, I'm not saying that as one the more digressive posters on here, I do like a DMU or two !

Gibbo.

Hi Gibbo

Neither would I. :declare:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

As a young lad on the S&T and being local I used to get a Friday afternoon job of taking the timesheets and post from the power box up to Soho Depot. The area the bus went through was a bit rough to say the least. On afternoon I was sitting at the front of the top deck as we turned up by Hockley goods depot. Two women came rolling out through the door of a pub throwing punches and shouting at each other. They ended up rolling about in the road in front of the bus, putting on a fight that wouldn't disgrace a pair of cage fighters on pay TV.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

20 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

As a young lad on the S&T and being local I used to get a Friday afternoon job of taking the timesheets and post from the power box up to Soho Depot. The area the bus went through was a bit rough to say the least. On afternoon I was sitting at the front of the top deck as we turned up by Hockley goods depot. Two women came rolling out through the door of a pub throwing punches and shouting at each other. They ended up rolling about in the road in front of the bus, putting on a fight that wouldn't disgrace a pair of cage fighters on pay TV.

Hi There,

The cry of, "Fight ! Fight ! Fight !", always drew a good crowd at school but when, "Girl Fight ! Girl Fight ! Girl Fight !" was heard you had to run to get a good view.

The teachers always had an extra job getting through the scrum to break it up, which was also an opportunity to get a dig into them while it was all going on.

Quite the opposite end of the scale to all this Safe Space carry on.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Improper grammar.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

That reminds me of two things that happened, two different jobs.

When I worked on the big railway, we had a turn that involved a turn round at Barnsley. Come from Sheffield, run past, then wait for the next Sheffield to go before running into the other platform.

The place where the ground signal was placed was on too of a embankment, and one of th houses next to it had a loft conversion. Nobody normally could see into th skylight, except for this one train that terminated there and used the dolly. Fine sight of the woman nude sunbathing on her tanning bed. Very popular turn that was.

Then there was the old 53 route in Sheffield, and the woman who, I'm sure it was on purpose, did a strip for the bus drivers every evening from the upstairs window. Another popular turn, especially when you got a decker lol.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

4 minutes ago, cheesysmith said:

That reminds me of two things that happened, two different jobs.

When I worked on the big railway, we had a turn that involved a turn round at Barnsley. Come from Sheffield, run past, then wait for the next Sheffield to go before running into the other platform.

The place where the ground signal was placed was on too of a embankment, and one of th houses next to it had a loft conversion. Nobody normally could see into th skylight, except for this one train that terminated there and used the dolly. Fine sight of the woman nude sunbathing on her tanning bed. Very popular turn that was.

Then there was the old 53 route in Sheffield, and the woman who, I'm sure it was on purpose, did a strip for the bus drivers every evening from the upstairs window. Another popular turn, especially when you got a decker lol.

Hi Dave,

Any one that is familiar with the ex railway houses at Irwell Vale on the ELR will know that the upstairs bedroom windows are at a similar level to window level of a passing train.

Picture the scene, early autumn dining train drifting down hill at dusk, bedroom light on, couple on bed "busy" shall we say,........... a quick toot on the whistle and a pair of seriously red faces.

I wasn't loco crew that evening but we all had a good laugh about it when told. It became quite a thing to blow the whistle when passing on a dining train just as a reminder.

Gibbo.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

the hell's angel left the pub through the window.

At the time of the 1970 World Cup I was working in Crewe. One evening our usual pub on Nantwich Road was heaving so someone suggested heading for the Albion or the Express on Mill Street. The first was pretty crowded and as we approached the second a bar table crashed through the front window and landed on th pavement in front of us.

We continued to a pub a bit further down, may have been called the Globe. After drinking up time I put our glasses on the bar and the landlord said same again? Are you staying to watch the match? We decided to stay. Just as the players were coming onto the field the back door opened and a Police Inspector in this full uniform entered. We thought we were done for but he put his hat and gloves on the bar and the landlord pulled him a pint. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I used to drink in a pub in Colchester which regularly had a lock in. It was used by quite a few policemen, the landlady's brother was a copper so his mates knew they were welcomed. This one night two of the chaps patrolling the town popped to get warm for a few moments. Over the radio one of their colleagues was asking for help, there was trouble outside a pub, the one opposite the one we were in. The look of panic on the faces of the two chaps "How are we going to explain why we are in here?" one said to the other.

A quite pub compared to most of the town pubs. The amount of bent stuff the landlord use to sell to the coppers was unbelievable.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 7

3 hours ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi There,

The cry of, "Fight ! Fight ! Fight !", always drew a good crowd at school but when, "Girl Fight ! Girl Fight ! Girl Fight !" was heard you had to run to get a good view.

The teachers always had an extra job getting through the scrum to break it up, which was also an opportunity to get a dig into them while it was all going on.

Quite the opposite end of the scale to all this Safe Space carry on.

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

Just like old times !

"My Dad's the heavyweight champion of the World my Dad is, so what will your Dad do then, hey!?

The football scene is fabulous also, mainly because Manchester United get beat 2-1 at home to Spurs.

Gibbo.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 24/03/2021 at 07:13, Enterprisingwestern said:

Aaaah, thursday night memories, or should it be mammaries, those were the days!

Grab a Granny night at the Crosville Club in Crewe. Close contact entertainment with the ladies all evening ;) then dodging their husbands outside afterwards.

Then there was Thursday night in the Pink Coconut at Derby during courses at the Railway Engineering School.

• Like 5

Many years ago Friday night round Wigan, a group of us singing rude songs, round the corner comes a bobby - "Get in that ***** pub- NOW" - only time I've ever been thrown into a pub by the police !!!

Another hot night in August, late Saturday in a very rough pub in Ince (they were / still are all rough) with a mate who did some joinery with a local lad there who had a "salvage" yard. Around 11pm the landlord shuts the big door, and comes round taking money & orders for the Chinese chippy. Off he trots pi55ed up in his Jag while his wife brings out plates, knives forks and serviettes. The beer pumps worked overtime !! - Around 5am he chucked us all out - Time to go 'wom as the milkman is here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another pub, another lock in - big front door shut and locked. We asked the barmaid to open the door at 2am - Can't - landlord has the key and he's over there fast asleep - a big bloke that would not like to mess with - so it was another couple of pints !!

Happy days.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
pi55ed !!!!
  • Like 4
  • Funny 3