your how to video's helped me through some tough spots

I even signed up to RMWeb around the same time to see your progress

Your canal makes the junction look more flowing and fits in nicely

keep up with the video's and I'll keep watching

Everyard Junction will always be a favourite

Shaun

• RMweb Premium

Richard

Please forgive me for saying so because your efforts look brilliant (as is the rest of the thread and your youtube videos). However, the images suggest that the tunnel mouth is probably twice as wide as a conventional canal tunnel.

Tunnels be they canal or rail were expensive to build so their width was kept to a minimum. A traditional narrowboat is nominally 7ft wide. Most tunnels were built to handle two way traffic so the maximum width was more likely to be around 15ft. Using the number of sleepers on the line at the rear as the basis for judging the width measurement I reckon the tunnel mouth is about 13cms wide which is around 30ft wide.

Richard

Please forgive me for saying so because your efforts look brilliant (as is the rest of the thread and your youtube videos). However, the images suggest that the tunnel mouth is probably twice as wide as a conventional canal tunnel.

Tunnels be they canal or rail were expensive to build so their width was kept to a minimum. A traditional narrowboat is nominally 7ft wide. Most tunnels were built to handle two way traffic so the maximum width was more likely to be around 15ft. Using the number of sleepers on the line at the rear as the basis for judging the width measurement I reckon the tunnel mouth is about 13cms wide which is around 30ft wide.

Hi Ray

The tunnel is certainly wider than a traditional tunnel.  I've just measured it and Its 22ft wide.  The widest tunnel I found when doing a bit of research was Nertherton Tunnel which is 27ft wide.  Rather than put a canal boat on it when finished I'd like to use a cabin cruiser instead perhaps with some very drunk passengers aboard!! 

• Like 1

Is the canal tunnel scratch built? if so it looks fantastic richard. I think you have made the right choice in removing the motorway and adding a canal as 

it fits in with the scenery much more.

Terry

Hi Terry

The tunnel is scratch built.  Took me about a day to get it made, it also has brick sides and a roof once inside the tunnel.

Hi Ray

The tunnel is certainly wider than a traditional tunnel.  I've just measured it and Its 22ft wide.  The widest tunnel I found when doing a bit of research was Nertherton Tunnel which is 27ft wide.  Rather than put a canal boat on it when finished I'd like to use a cabin cruiser instead perhaps with some very drunk passengers aboard!! 

Sticking a towpath through it (as would be the norm) would narrow it down a bit.  :good:

Now that's a great idea! It wouldn't be complete without a shopping trolley or two. I'll look into seeing how one could be made.

Cheers

Mousa models do an etched pack of 4, I got mine from Eileens emporium Edited by 37114

• RMweb Premium

Richard

I had a subsequent thought and was going to suggest a towpath on each side based on my original size estimate but I was beaten to it by Manc_tech above and your more accurate measurement which means that a single towpath should be all that is needed.

I hope you didn't mind me pointing it out.

Morning Richard,  Great to see you on the RMWeb at last, l have watched most of your helpful videos on You-Tube love the way you show how to do things in such a laid back manner, think the river is much better than a motorway, great stuff...

GT

I too am a great follower of your videos so it is good to see your efforts on RMWeb. I never really liked the idea of a motorway on Everard Junction so I'm pleased it has been replaced by a canal. Cracking layout and very inspirational.