Everard Junction - 88 to 90 - BR Western Region

richard w

Honestly thought those lights were shop bought or at least kits mate, they are great.

The scene looks brilliant and what a view from those back bedrooms! How much is the rent in those houses? Very tempted  :mosking: Love that last pic.

Cheers. Mike.

Think I'll have to gather some figures at the bottom of each garden doing some spotting.  Homeowners could charge them for the use of their gardens :yes:

Over the past few days I've been building the traintronics signal gantry kit.  I've modified it into two double track gantries.  

Its my first go at doing anything in brass and i'm quite pleased so far.  Only criticism is the instructions which where not exactly ideal.  Google images was more helpful.

post-23223-0-63439600-1416753263_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-23044200-1416753265_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-67577600-1416753266_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-19013900-1416753268_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks guys

I've made some more progress tonight and got the signal heads installed.  Very fiddly to hide all the wiring but got there in the end.  Extra detail is still required, but so far I'm very pleased with how this project has gone.

The left gantry has Berko heads and the right has Traintronics ones.

post-23223-0-80098400-1416870359_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-54092700-1416870361_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-88406600-1416870366_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-59766300-1416870363_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-35180900-1416870365_thumb.jpg

Cheers

• Like 16

Those signal gantries look the nuts Richard...well better than my attempt at building them. I did however get round to purchasing some signal heads for my gantry from the warley exhibition at the weekend so hopefully i can get them in soon so

they should start to look nearly as good as yours mate.

Terry

• Like 1

I've taken a short break from the signals and have focused on some weathering that I've been meaning to do for months.  First up was the 128 which was far too clean and shiny.  I've used some pictures for reference and I think I've managed to get close enough.

post-23223-0-08244600-1417345493_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-17672100-1417345487_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-05155400-1417345489_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-52351700-1417345491_thumb.jpg

Next was my postal stock which I've had for ages.  These trains always seemed to get really dirty, especially anything still in all over blue livery.

Remember seeing these run through while waiting for your train?

post-23223-0-16330000-1417345642_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-10170100-1417345645_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-65923700-1417345643_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-95531400-1417345649_thumb.jpg

post-23223-0-65420400-1417345651_thumb.jpgpost-23223-0-25469500-1417345653_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard w
  • Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

Loving this layout, its giving me inspiration to actually start laying some track of my own.

A quick question, I noticed in the background of one of the pictures your temperature controlled soldering iron, this looks to be the same as one I have just inherited, do you know what brand it is or where it came from as I need to get some new tips for mine?

Thanks

Loving this layout, its giving me inspiration to actually start laying some track of my own.

A quick question, I noticed in the background of one of the pictures your temperature controlled soldering iron, this looks to be the same as one I have just inherited, do you know what brand it is or where it came from as I need to get some new tips for mine?

Thanks

Its just the cheap one from maplin.  I think the later ones actually have maplin written on them but my older one doesn't.  From memory they are about £15.

Hi Richard

Like most folk here I have been following your channel for a couple of years or more but I just recently discovered this thread, which is excellent as well! After a few previous layout attempts and much scouring YT etc for inspiration I finally settled on your double helix idea for the basis of my layout. The main reason is because it allows me access without having to crawl underneath ( which was starting to get to me big time!) as I am not getting any younger... :no: and it also allows me to use the full length of my garage while leaving space for a workbench. Also, your idea for the fiddle yard means that the upper level can change as many times as necessary with the FY remaining in place. So, on to my question(s).....

I wondered how you keep track (no pun intended) of what is stored where underneath? I am discovering that you can use block detection for instance, which I am currently looking at, or CCTV camera's maybe. Also, is your layout all linked to the same bus or do you have power districts and do you employ any kind of circuit protection in case of shorts?

I am just awaiting delivery of my DCC system (Digitrax Super Chief 5A) so want to make sure I get the lower level wired correctly first time to avoid having to go in again at a later date. 

Keep up the excellent work and keep them video's flowing (please  :) ).

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul

For keeping up with whats stored where the current system to try and remember or get down and have a look (low tech but it works).  The way I've staggered the tracks does allow for quite easy viewing from across the layout, but there are a few spots that are difficult to monitor.  At some point I'm going to put a light under there with a webcam linked up to a monitor.

When I finish running the trains I park the everything back in the fiddle yard and try to leave a clear track for each line.  Then when I come back the chance of a crash is reduced, but I usually do a quick check before I get things going.

The current wiring setup involves two pairs of bus wires.  One is for DCC power only and runs the full length of the layout powering all the tracks.  The other pair is 12v DC used for lighting and point motors.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Paul

For keeping up with whats stored where the current system to try and remember or get down and have a look (low tech but it works).  The way I've staggered the tracks does allow for quite easy viewing from across the layout, but there are a few spots that are difficult to monitor.  At some point I'm going to put a light under there with a webcam linked up to a monitor.

When I finish running the trains I park the everything back in the fiddle yard and try to leave a clear track for each line.  Then when I come back the chance of a crash is reduced, but I usually do a quick check before I get things going.

The current wiring setup involves two pairs of bus wires.  One is for DCC power only and runs the full length of the layout powering all the tracks.  The other pair is 12v DC used for lighting and point motors.

Hope that helps.

Hi Richard

As I suspected then since you have never mentioned power districts or circuit breakers in your videos. That is pretty much the same as what I have done so far so if it works for you that's good enough for me. One more question: How do you protect against shorts or do you simply have 100% faith in your wiring?

Thanks again

Paul

Make sure all soldered connections are strong and insulated then it should be fine.  If there is a short circuits the dcc system will cut out and protect things.

I short the system out quite often when I forget to move a metal tool thats been left on the track.