Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

It would appear that Bachmann have given enough people 'the vapours' already.

...personally, I'd rather that outstanding models did the talking every time....could we have a few sometime soon please?

Sums it all up quite well...

Vapourware! Lol.

Shame, some interesting announcements (for that is all they are at present) lost in a PR disaster...

Malcolm Tucker would have done a better job. :-)

Blimey, I go away for the day Bachmann make their announcement safe in the knowledge that "experts" who had "spoken to people at Bachmann" had pronounced the 85s hadn't sold so any new AC electric models would never happen as long as we all have holes up our behinds, confidently expecting that I would log on to find another non-LMS kettle being announced, some lovely Marpleshire and Brownshire Light railway four wheelers and a WW1 Big Bertha rail mounted gun being the sum total of announcements, and what do I find?  Freightliner flats (being shown as outers and inners, with ISO and Maritime containers which suggests original BR Freightliner containers and later designs) and a Class 90!

Is this a huge practical joke at the expense of those of us who dare to try and model trains with funny coathangers on the roof?

All we need now is for the NRM announcement on the 29th to be that Locomotion are going to use the new Class 90 chassis to commission an 87 to tie in with the 40th anniversary of the West Coast Electrification and my joy will be palpable.  There again, I do still have a hole in my behind so perhaps an 87 would be going too far.

Damp squib anyone?

Who would have thought that Hornby would win the battle of the 2014 announcements and win it they did, walking away.

I agree with the gentleman above (sorry too lazy to go back and find your name) who states that burying the fantastic 009 news with a pile of ho hum repaints and a remake of a Hornby item, was a big mistake. The 00 announcements could very well have been made at the usual March time saving the 25th anniversary fanfare for 009 alone. Bachmann blew it I think.

And for those that criticize "crystal ball" type topics for turning into giant wish lists: after seeing the progress (or lack of) on the items announced in 2013, I'd say Bachmann is a founder member of the wish list club. Announcing models so far in advance (10 models not even in the drawing stage after a year+) seemingly with the sole intention of freezing out other manufacturers, does us no favors at all.

I'm being rather harsh I know but imagine the posts here if Hornby had pulled a stunt like this :-)

Whatever the merits of the contents of yesterday's announcements, Bachmann has very ably created a buzz around the 25th anniversary. Although I do agree with those who feel that (as communicated and presented) it was all a bit underwhelming. My reaction was not "WOW! Fantastic" but rather "Oh. That's nice". As an earlier poster ventured, separating out the Class 90 and the narrow gauge model from the rest of the announcements might have increased the "WOW! Fantastic!" factor. Nonetheless, some nice things coming out from Bachmann (although 90% being of little use to my layout project).

Model railway pricing does remain contentious, especially in the price sensitive UK market. Unfortunately, for reasons discussed extensively elsewhere, the era of high quality low cost production in China is pretty much over. I think that many UK modellers will need to swallow a bitter pill and accept that, in future, RTR model railway rolling stock will be more in line with Euro prices. Providing Bachmann's quality is in line with their pricing, cost is - I think - a non-issue (I'm always willing to save up for something I really want...).

A few years ago, RTR 3rd rail electrics were just "wish list" items, so it will be interesting to see if the Class 90 starts an OHL "electrics" trend in RTR modelling. Logically, OHL EMUs would be the next untapped pool of British rolling stock for RTR models. OHLE has been around for quite a while and anyone wishing to model suburban railways - whether 1960s ER or today's TOCs - would observe OHL EMUs are notable by their absence.

Not so funny, really.

I'll freely admit that I went back to the beginning of the thread FOUR TIMES looking for the link to the 'goodies',  before saying "Is that it?"!!!!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Is that because you don't like/have never heard of/can't see why they've chosen a 90, or because there is nothing relevant to your modelling interest...?

Guest Belgian

An alternative view to what has been our (maybe just my) thoughts about this 'annual announcement' is that the reason there was no announcement at the beginning of the year wasn't that it was being held back until the 25th Anniversary but that there just wasn't anything to announce.

JE

Lots of complaints about 'nothing being announced'. Unless of course you have a need for a class 90, or indeed any of the other new releases. Or you're a 009 modeller. There's a lot to be excited about in the latter case. Also the bit that says 'further announcements will be made' (which an awful lot of people seem to have overlooked). Sorry, I'm being far too positive. Grumble grumble grumble. 

One odd thing...31-169 LYR tank 50795 BR lined black early emblem.

We already have... 31-167DC LYR tank 50795 BR lined black, early emblem, weathered.

Shurely shome mistake??

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

Well two brand new locos on the list, a 90 in Swallow livery and a 009 Baldwin for me, so at least someone was happy :)

I don't need either but they should drop into the on order list nicely without the card melting.

While a 009 loco hasn't been quite the story that the BP was it's appropriate and they are hardly going to fanfare it as it's commemorating something rather than celebrating. I think the fairly low key suits that announcement.

• RMweb Premium

Missed the OO9 as I looked in the wrong place, thanks PaulRhb for pointing me to the correct thread. It would appear that OO9 could be the next big thing?

• RMweb Premium

Is that because you don't like/have never heard of/can't see why they've chosen a 90, or because there is nothing relevant to your modelling interest...?

It was because I couldn't believe that, on the loco front, one SG electric locomotive and a hard-to-find NG one, (albeit excellent choice), was the sum total of eighteen month's waiting.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Jumping in late, but wanting to add my $0.02 worth, I like many others felt underwhelmed by the announcements. That being said however, at closer look there are still enough items on the list to cause my CFO potential concerns.

While only three pieces of rolling stock, and no locomotives, have caught my eye... There is plenty in the scenecraft range... Something I think the majority of modellers overlook or possibly take for granted? I remember not so long ago our only options for buildings were in the Hornby plastic range, card kits, HO from the US or Europe... Or make them ourselves.

I think pretty much every layout that I look at now, either In person, online or in a magazine has had something from either Hornby or Bachmann resin buildings.

Now as for not getting what I wanted... There is always next year or DJM to come out with the 4TC... ;-)

Hi Linners

This must be an error by Bachmann in getting the product lists updated on their website, and they have missed off the 1Fs. At the start of this thread their is an update in the news release from Bachmann about planned products development, and the 1F is shown as 'authorised for production'. Also at post 148, Dibber 25 (Chris Leigh-consultant editor of Model Rail) has advised that he received a sample production 1F last Friday for review, so I think it is mess up rather than conspiracy.

• RMweb Premium

I guess they haven't gone mad to avoid further delays and disappointment, a Class 37 in Colas is very nice, a Class 90 is a big surprise but been rumoured....

I guess a Colas Class 70 MUST be the next club model !!

I must admit I thought the Colas 70 along with GBRf coal hoppers were an absolute shoe in….  :scratchhead:

The thing is we know where we stand now. We can get on with building kits or scratch building the locos and rolling stock needed for our layouts, and those dependant on RTR know what they have to look forward to. As regards new liveries, I am surprised the new 'Porthole' coaches have not been announced in BR maroon seeing as folk modelling the transition-era up to 1971 will have no use for blood & custards. Seems a lost opportunity to put money in the till when this is supposed to be the most modelled era.

• RMweb Gold

Having had time to digest the list and the status of the items already known about, I'm surprised that some things seem to have progressed little since announced in previous years. My Stanier Mogul must be at least two or three years off, and the anchor mount tanks and re-vamped Thompsons don't seem to be doing any better. 

Agreeing with Coachmann, I'm surprised that there are no Maroon Portholes on the horizon yet, perhaps a bit too soon after the present run, but I'm sure they would be popular as most of those built were around for 10 years in that form.

Of the reissued items I will probably get a Fairburn tank if I don't pick up one of the older lot before they arrive as 42062 spent a bit of time around my modelling patch.

I'm also glad to see the LMS Saloon is getting closer as that is one item I am intending to get. Looks like it won't be too harsh a year on the wallet from the Blue Box side.

An alternative view to what has been our (maybe just my) thoughts about this 'annual announcement' is that the reason there was no announcement at the beginning of the year wasn't that it was being held back until the 25th Anniversary but that there just wasn't anything to announce.

I can bat that one straight off. The announcements for the past few years have been made at the British Model & Hobby Show, which were held in Coventry in March each year. This event staged by another organisation was cancelled late last year due to lack of trade interest. This left Bachmann without its usual “window” to make its announcements. The only opportunity was therefore to move it to the Barwell Open Days which is attended by traders and media as this was the only option. It just happened to be their 25th anniversary.

With so many items outstanding this is very much a consolidation year. Had Bachmann announced 10 new items in each scale, there would have been pages of – why bother – they haven’t delivered X, Y or Z.

Despite an earlier request there's been some other quite meaningless negativity; so what if there weren't a whole raft of announcements to titillate and entertain, no-one buys everything a manufacturer rolls out of the door (they need their bumps felt if they do). I can think of a whole list of meaningful things that could have been done and may well be done at some point, all it means is that they didn't get announced (rather than produced) this summer; maybe will in the next announcements in March or even 2016. There's still plenty of good stuff to come and I'm quite sure many will be wetting themselves with adulation over the 1F very very soon and life will return to normal. ;) If anyone feels underwhelmed so what, there's still so much in the pipeline from several manufacturers to enjoy and whether something was announced yesterday or next March it won't make much of a difference as when it will appear on the shop shelf.

Bachmann put on a very enjoyable day for the press and traders and will be still doing so today. There was an interesting collection of road vehicles to look over.

B1.jpg

B7.jpg

B4.jpg

The first sight on arrival was an S&D 'Bagnall' that arrived late on Friday; all the speculators obviously missed the site of the Baldwin being brought through the streets of Barwell (motoring journos would never let that happen!) before being tucked into the warehouse for it's grand unveiling for the 25th anniversary.

B5.jpg

B2.jpg

BaldwinS.jpg

As often happens, Bachmann were able to make a presentation to the owners of the loco who have kindly made the loco available for the R&D process, in this case the Greensand Railway Museum Trust.

B6.jpg

Graham Hubbard will be retiring as MD of Bachmann Europe later this year and the 25th anniversary was a fitting event for that with Kenneth Ting, Chairman of Kader industries visiting and talking to the visitors. Mr Ting was a pleasure to talk to and it was obvious he understands the UK's marketplace desire to see every better products.

B3.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The thing is we know where we stand now. We can get on with building kits or scratch building the locos and rolling stock needed for our layouts, and those dependant on RTR know what they have to look forward to. As regards new liveries, I am surprised the new 'Porthole' coaches have not been announced in BR maroon seeing as folk modelling the transition-era up to 1971 will have no use for blood & custards. Seems a lost opportunity to put money in the till when this is supposed to be the most modelled era.

We are indeed Coach and it seems we were - rather to my surprise - both wrong about the Coal Tank, perhaps we were a year too soon with our prediction?  Maybe they think it's too early to relivery the porthole coaches - after all they haven't all reached the shops yet (or hadn't on Friday) and they might want some indications of sales before they change or they have learnt the lesson of Hornby overdoing things with the Hawksworts and flooding the market too quickly with reissues?

Overall the level of new mouldings in 00 is not a surprise of course and I must admit to being a little confused about the comments about the 009 being 'lost' among everything else.  Bachmann's website has a leading news item about its 2014 programme and the first paragraph of the item talks about 009,  the second paragraph then goes on about the H2, the Class 90 and N scale.  The next news item is solely about 009, while the third is about Scenecraft.  So the 009 is hardly 'lost' among anything on their site.

Yes - it has been announced on the same day as the new 00 and N items but it has been given greater prominence than either should you care to look.  And in any case the expectation for new items in 00 was already limited so there could be no expectation of vast numbers; reliveries of course are a different matter.

Overall it seems that for once the modellers of the more recent(ish) railway have done better in some respects than those of us who model the steam era - o.k. Bachmann can't do everything at once - but at least it makes a change.  And, as many have already said, there is still plenty of stuff from previous announcements in the pipeline albeit with some of it running late (but, again, let's not forget that they have in the past year relocated their factory and reportedly suffered some other problems which have undoubtedly had an impact on production and possibly development too).

Edit to correct (un)predictive text

Has anyone actually viewed any of the photos on the stock pages as displayed (for instance) here:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=3

Is it just me, or do the liveries applied to the `new' models look rubbish? I first noticed the Dukedog with shirtbutton not looking quite right, but as I scrolled down it seemed most of the photos of newly announced models looked like they had been knocked up for the Great British Locomotives series...

...or have I just inadvertently stumbled on something??? Take a look at the photos of the 64xx and the E4 to see what I mean.

• RMweb Premium

As regards new liveries, I am surprised the new 'Porthole' coaches have not been announced in BR maroon seeing as folk modelling the transition-era up to 1971 will have no use for blood & custards. Seems a lost opportunity to put money in the till when this is supposed to be the most modelled era.

I wouldn't say so.

Firstly you have to remember Bachmann are suffering from production and quality issues in China - the porthole coaches being a victim and being put back by between 6months to a year following manufacturing problems. In this situation there is very little point in anouncing moron versions if they won't get here until after next March / April when Bachmann will make their 2015 anouncements and when maroon porthole stock could make an appearance.

Secondly as the porthole coaches are a "current" item as it were there is no need to "bagsey" them - unlike the class 90 where if the anouncement was left too late they might find one of the other manufacturers beat Bachmann in anouncing it - just as Hornby did with the J15.

Archived