Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

Far from rumourtrol wasn't it Bachmann that said there would be three new models at their last press conference?

They've announced more than three new models today; if anyone's expected three new tooled locos then that's down to personal misunderstanding.

The press have been invited to Locomotion at the end of the month for the latest Bachmann/NRM collection in miniature announcement. That is a fact.

CHRIS LEIGH

That increases the odds of it being an Atlantic C1 rather than an SECR D class as the latter is at York.

I can agree with others that this years new locos/coaches/wagons are thin on the ground compared with 2013, but will suspect that is a sign of times. There is little point in announcing a huge program and not be able to deliver it. This would also explain why no new variants of existing models.

Likewise I guess Bachmann need time to see if the market supports bigger prices before embarking on a lot of stock that will not sell.

Me personally, there was nothing of interest as my focus is mainly southern region BR steam era, SECR or BR blue era. That said I had a lot from 2013s annoucements, the H2, SECR birdcages, E4, war flats, mk 2Fs.

That said, Bachmann. Releases this year, have in the main sold out rapidly, the shortage of stock could become problematic for model shops.

Well I am chuffed. (Thought I best say I am, among all the moaning). Most years I am left disappointed, but I could not be more happy with the announcements.

DRS 37 (one to convert into 37423 Spirit of the Lakes after seeing how easy the nose's can be converted yesterday - thanks to Colin and Mike at R3Sprays); a Colas 37 ( I am sure the 70 is around the corner, the Colas 66 was originally planned to be a Limited Edition, so no doubt I shall Google every day about a Colas 70 with someone!); weathered JJAs; a Southern 171 and the Class 90 (Glad I did not buy the Hornby Powerhaul when going cheap at a Modelzone closure)! Chuffed! Thank you Bachmann! 

Questions: The Southern 171 is missing black boarders around the light cluster and no coupler present? Does this mean they are providing the Dellner? Brilliant if they did!

The update of products, any insider information about the Aviation TEA wagons for Colas and the Colas Coal Hoppers? 

Brilliant year for modern image. Now if Model Rail is listening, get on and commission the SWT 450 please :)

• RMweb Gold

What a load of moaners.

I can easily total up a £500 wish list.

OK, some is already on pre order.

That will more than keep me happy for he next 12 months.

At least they announce a detailed "state of play report" to give me some idea of the expected time scale to introduction.

Thank you Bachmann.

Bernard

... but the way prices are going that might just be a a couple of sound locos :no:

i can understand that being drip fed little pieces of possible insider info just enough to encourage people to fall for the hook line sinker approach only to be met with retorts along the lines of just wait a little longer or be patient only serves to annoy and aggravate.

so whilst on the one hand i see the benefits such possible insider wisdom it must also be borne in mind not to treat those of us on the outside of this sanctum as uninformed impatient little boys......as is often the case on many a fora,its not what is said, its how its said.on that basis i think its a bit rich to cry foul on somebody just because theyve bitten back. heat-kitchen et al.

Thank you, Thaneof Fife.  I may not have expressed myself as I would have wished, in the heat of the let-down moment, but the point is that such cryptic posts as I was referring to may, for all we know, in themselves be someone "talking out of their hats" , as the alleged 'insider knowledge' and the bona fides of the vague reassurances are simply not verifiable.  Therefore such posts - whoever by (and I had not intended to imply that Mr H was the only perpetrator) - may well, whatever their aspiration, appear patronising and may often simply serve to irritate. 

If one's job or one's insider access does not allow one to 'put up', then it may often be preferable (and indeed professional, where applicable) to do the other thing ...

• RMweb Gold

That increases the odds of it being an Atlantic C1 rather than an SECR D class as the latter is at York.

Maybe but not necessarily as the NRM 'Exclusive editions' range is now dealt with at Locomotion and not at York so there is some logic in making announcements at Shildon; the opening information on this webpage refers -

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/

• RMweb Gold

Yes,I am in possession of confidential information ...and it will stay that way....I will not identify ANY source of whatever nature.Nor will I drop hints or reveal clues..

I have countered some posts on this thread,some of which are negative and undeservedly critical ,with encouragement to show patience and wait just a little while.

As for dispelling impatience or speculation,those concerned will have to live with it for a while longer and get on with their lives.

Will you be expecting any more confidential information from your source now that they know what your understanding of the meaning of 'confidential' includes talking about it on social media :O

Will you be expecting any more confidential information from your source now that they know what your understanding of the meaning of 'confidential' includes talking about it on social media :O

I know that the 'source' has no problem in the wider readership knowing that there will be an announcement on the 29th.

Passions run high as Bachmann has a good reputation, regardless of snide comments aimed at "making the membership look the right way", there is no getting away from the fact there many people here today have come away a little disappointed.

That reputation could have dropped a bit, no matter how much the party whip snaps tries snapping people to order.

I just wish there were as many people jumping to the defence of Hornby, as there are to Bachmann.

ok we have 1 more coming from Locomotion, and whatever from where ever else… what we don't know is the price… Hornby's class 90 may end up with a little more mileage yet.

If I was purchasing new I'd rather have one good runner that looks right than two cheap ones!

I would certainly read your unpleasant post as being aimed at Ian. Back up (and apologise if it wasn't targetted at Ian as that's the way it appears) or move on.

I was referring to the piece I quoted in general of people who say they know something but then won't say what, and I too would prefer them to say nothing.

As it is causing unintended offence I have removed it.

009 whilst a nice idea will require a £500-1000 investment, in stock, track buildings just to go with the odd loco… just to have as a nicety to contrast to a 00 gauge layout, so I suspect 009 will be a bit of a niche for the 009 modeller, rather than a serrangeti migration of 00 layouts adding an 009 feature, as other producers of 00 will probably suck up the £££s faster with the models they announced to the 00 market instead.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Yes, OO will remain the dominant option but OO9 will appeal to a lot of people - it combines the advantages of bigger OO models with the smaller space requirements of N.

Certainly in the North American market a lot of people held your view when Blackstone introduced their HOn3 models but it has turned into a fairly popular niche market.

At times I really despair.  Bachmann change a date to fit their 25th anniversary - not a bad idea.  They launch a completely new range into the British market - surely that is worth keeping secret and having something to crow about on the day, especially as it fits this year's 1914 centenary theme.  They give us a complete update on where previously announced items have got to (although some on here believe some might be missing - it would be interesting to know if that is the case?) and they announce new N gauge items.

All in all hardly an insignificant situation I would have thought.

While I agree with the overall concept of what you are saying, I think it is a bit of self-inflicted wound by Bachmann.

Like it or not by moving the date to fit the anniversary people increased their expectation of what Bachmann would announce, and on that basis Bachmann failed.  In essence Bachmann said this years OO and N announcements would be special, and while there is nothing wrong with what they have announced it is not 'special'.

What is special is the 009 announcement, but sadly it has been overwhelmed by the reaction to what is a fairly standard yearly announcement in the other scales.

To me Bachmann would have been better to have their usual announcement in the spring for OO and N, and then did the OO9 announcement as part of their anniversary now.  This would have given the Bachmann Narrow Gauge line the prominence that it deserved, and to me would be more in line with a special anniversary announcement than what did occur.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be so sure.

Yes, OO will remain the dominant option but OO9 will appeal to a lot of people - it combines the advantages of bigger OO models with the smaller space requirements of N.

Certainly in the North American market a lot of people held your view when Blackstone introduced their HOn3 models but it has turned into a fairly popular niche market.

Smaller than N in fact as squeally-wheely curves are much more prototypical.  I've never been that keen on narrow gauge but I feel a sudden desire for a couple of wagonloads of Nocton spuds.

Just noticed on Bachmann's site that they are to produce a low relief power station with cooling towers. That should be interesting as the average cooling towers are 250 - 350+ feet tall (Ratcliffe's are 365 feet tall). 4mm to the foot equals a metre high model of a 250 foot tower  :O. Should make for an interesting backscene. Dry ice machine anyone?  :jester:

A few years ago, the gardening fraternity started using ultra-sonic gizmos which when set in the water of a garden feature gave off a sort of vapour  -  maybe they could be adapted.

• RMweb Gold
Will you be expecting any more confidential information from your source now that they know what your understanding of the meaning of 'confidential' includes talking about it on social media

Before I respond to this....define,if you will,exactly what "social media" you are talking about ?

not wanting to pour water but on the suggestions above of prices £250-300 i would add that if those are for sound models then if price is our biggest consideration, sound models will be the first items to suffer (if they arent already at around £250) as i for one cannot afford brand new £300 sound fitted locos. its not a question of me being a typical tightfisted uk modeller.i simply cant afford them. oh for the heady days of the not too distant past where a loco would be discounted to £70 and for around £150 you could get one with sound (brand new latest releases here not older items).....

i think its dcc sound that will hurt the most with more people either buying used or just having their existing sound locos to give the ambience and buying the std non sound versions of the new releases.....

not guaranteed im right but just a thought as to where the axe might drop first as rrp's creep higher.

many hoped that sound woild actually come down in price but its had the opposite effect with no real leapfrog in dcc sound technology on rtr models.

I think some people are underestimating the importance of the class 90 announcement to modern image modellers. It fills a rather large hole for those of us who might want to model 25kvAC in the last thirty years. The wide range of liveries,and consequent appeal to collectors, would lead me to stop short of saying it is a turning point or a game-changer in terms of modelling OHLE, but it has to be massively welcome. My only disappointment is that there aren't a greater range of liveries available at initial release.

The freightliner flats will also be a fantastic addition for anyone modelling in 00 after the end of steam. I hope there won't be even more feelings of dejection from our steam modelling brothers and sisters when it turns out that the NRM's exclusive is this;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2013/post-13109-0-25074900-1373663002.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A few years ago, the gardening fraternity started using ultra-sonic gizmos which when set in the water of a garden feature gave off a sort of vapour  -  maybe they could be adapted.

It would appear that Bachmann have given enough people 'the vapours' already.

Is it my imagination but didn't Bachmann have plans for cheaper dcc sound decoerders before Hornby mentioned them and if so what's happened to them

They seemed to have fell into black hole!

and the Class 90 (Glad I did not buy the Hornby Powerhaul when going cheap at a Modelzone closure)! Chuffed! Thank you Bachmann! 

FYI - Hornby haven't done the Class 90 in Powerhaul, only the original FL Green, although they did do the Class 86 in Powerhaul.

The wide range of liveries,and consequent appeal to collectors, would lead me to stop short of saying it is a turning point or a game-changer

im going to agree but state that it must be a gamechanger.the class 85 was a bolt from the blue and in terms of accuracy blew the Heljan 86 effort away but to me this new class 90 says Bachmann have a lot of faith in its customers and its feedback and all the wishlists and surveys to actually go ahead and tool up another all new overhead ac loco.

i say gsmechanger...what i mean is that i think no longer can those whove always poo pooed the very idea of any further electrics (for a whole range of very flaky reasons) now put down the calls by ac enthusiasts for new models because Bachmann have dealt them a body blow to all those almost "anti" electric arguments.....

roll on more leccies i say.....

Archived