Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

Has anyone actually viewed any of the photos on the stock pages as displayed (for instance) here:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=3

Is it just me, or do the liveries applied to the `new' models look rubbish? I first noticed the Dukedog with shirtbutton not looking quite right, but as I scrolled down it seemed most of the photos of newly announced models looked like they had been knocked up for the Great British Locomotives series...

...or have I just inadvertently stumbled on something??? Take a look at the photos of the 64xx and the E4 to see what I mean.

The image of the shirtbutton Dukedog just looks overly saturated in terms of colour and doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the finish of the finished item.

The 64xx and E4 liveries have been discussed elsewhere but the mock-up liveries aren't necessarily correct but there for evaluation. I'd be quite confident they will be addressed as a well known Southern chappie was on hand to comment on the E4's livery. Aside from the paint job it looks rather appealing.

Has anyone actually viewed any of the photos on the stock pages as displayed (for instance) here:

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=3

Is it just me, or do the liveries applied to the `new' models look rubbish? I first noticed the Dukedog with shirtbutton not looking quite right, but as I scrolled down it seemed most of the photos of newly announced models looked like they had been knocked up for the Great British Locomotives series...

...or have I just inadvertently stumbled on something??? Take a look at the photos of the 64xx and the E4 to see what I mean.

I am relatively certain that these are hand painted samples - just something to give us a good idea of what's to come. I see what you mean though, the 64xx looks particularly toylike. According to Andy's original post, these models are both at the artwork stage and livery samples are not yet expected. (Edit: Andy beat me to it!)

My overall opinion is that Bachmann can't be criticised for having a year to consolidate. They have a huge backlog of exciting products so we have a lot to look forward to anyway. OO9 is yet another good step. Whilst I'm not particularly interested in the prototype they have chosen, I'm sure I'll be sorely tempted by future additions to this range.

• RMweb Gold

Despite an earlier request there's been some other quite meaningless negativity;

Hi Andy

Perhaps some guidance on the purpose of this thread is required. With separate threads to discuss the individual items (90, 009 etc) it appeared to me that this thread was to discuss in more general terms the announcements made

Despite not criticising or moaning about the announcements you picked 2 of my posts previously to tell people to stop moaning (it seems others who say they are surprised by the announcement are moaning!)

My posts (like many others) were simply made with regard to discussing the thinking behind how the announcement was made, hence the comment that "it's interesting to observe how Bachmann have handled this years announcement today (with an exciting expansion into 009 narrow gauge) and peoples disappointed reactions, compared to the excitement surrounding Rapidos announcement a few weeks ago of a single model which will be of little use to most modellers?", a statement about how good the announcement was yesterday and one which has received a fair number of 'likes'

If all you want from the thread is unerring praise and adulation for Bachmann then perhaps that should be made clear

R-O-T

If all you want from the thread is unerring praise and adulation for Bachmann then perhaps that should be made clear

That's not the case (and you know it) but the irrelevant negativity without much reason has been a turn-off for several users so it's not unreasonable to ask that people are a little more constructive or qualified in their comments.

The general topic is intended to cover the range of announcements and updates on re-liveries and ongoing projects whereas the individual topics for headline items is so that more specific detail can be discussed without it getting lost amongst moans and groans, it's fair to say that those topics have been used by those who are interested in those announcements whereas this topic at least has kept those who are not interested in those announcements away from those topics. :)

That's not the case (and you know it) but the irrelevant negativity without much reason has been a turn-off for several users so it's not unreasonable to ask that people are a little more constructive or qualified in their comments.

The general topic is intended to cover the range of announcements and updates on re-liveries and ongoing projects whereas the individual topics for headline items is so that more specific detail can be discussed without it getting lost amongst moans and groans, it's fair to say that those topics have been used by those who are interested in those announcements whereas this topic at least has kept those who are not interested in those announcements away from those topics. :)

The Froth Eliminator swiftly douses yet another outbreak and quickly scans the horizon for the next challenge...

• RMweb Gold

I'll add my tuppence worth.

Yes, its hugely disappointing that Bachmann havnt announced more, and although the hype was not their responsibility, they could have damped it down a bit, especially as it seems to have reduced the impact of the OO9 announcement - which is massive. 

Looking at the list of items yet to be delivered, there is still lots of new things to come over the next 12 months. Hopefully, the boys from Barwell will spend that time measuring up and running the slide rule over a set of new models which they can announce next year that will be delivered within a much shorter timescale, as I sense that is what frustrates people most. 

Bachmann can be rightly proud of what they have achieved in the last 25 years - and arguably if they had not arrived, we would never have seen the massive leap in quality by Hornby, or the number of special commissions which have increased the number of highly detailed models available to us. If they need a year to take a breath, then so be it, lets remember that once these new models are announced, we have to go out and buy them, and many people dont have endless amounts of money to throw at their hobby - a slightly slacker year may well ensure other models sell as well as they need to.

As if the backlog on my "want list" wasn't long enough, this announcement adds another 4 locos to that list.

Hornby 2014 by comparison = £0

Funny, mine is the reverse. But each to their own and I'm not complaining BTW.

• RMweb Premium

According to 2 emails I received from Hattons this morning, the economy sound locos have been cancelled.  Rather a strange way for the news to be released.

I did over hear a cooment from a retailer at the Basildon exhibition a few weeks ago to an enquiry  that Hornby's announcement of budget sound had wrong footed Bachmann and they were deciding what to do. Seems that's the answer then.

I can bat that one straight off. The announcements for the past few years have been made at the British Model & Hobby Show, which were held in Coventry in March each year. This event staged by another organisation was cancelled late last year due to lack of trade interest. This left Bachmann without its usual “window” to make its announcements. The only opportunity was therefore to move it to the Barwell Open Days which is attended by traders and media as this was the only option. It just happened to be their 25th anniversary.

With so many items outstanding this is very much a consolidation year. Had Bachmann announced 10 new items in each scale, there would have been pages of – why bother – they haven’t delivered X, Y or Z.

Despite an earlier request there's been some other quite meaningless negativity; so what if there weren't a whole raft of announcements to titillate and entertain, no-one buys everything a manufacturer rolls out of the door (they need their bumps felt if they do). I can think of a whole list of meaningful things that could have been done and may well be done at some point, all it means is that they didn't get announced (rather than produced) this summer; maybe will in the next announcements in March or even 2016. There's still plenty of good stuff to come and I'm quite sure many will be wetting themselves with adulation over the 1F very very soon and life will return to normal. ;) If anyone feels underwhelmed so what, there's still so much in the pipeline from several manufacturers to enjoy and whether something was announced yesterday or next March it won't make much of a difference as when it will appear on the shop shelf.

Bachmann put on a very enjoyable day for the press and traders and will be still doing so today. There was an interesting collection of road vehicles to look over.

attachicon.gifB1.jpg

attachicon.gifB7.jpg

attachicon.gifB4.jpg

The first sight on arrival was an S&D 'Bagnall' that arrived late on Friday; all the speculators obviously missed the site of the Baldwin being brought through the streets of Barwell (motoring journos would never let that happen!) before being tucked into the warehouse for it's grand unveiling for the 25th anniversary.

attachicon.gifB5.jpg

attachicon.gifB2.jpg

attachicon.gifBaldwinS.jpg

As often happens, Bachmann were able to make a presentation to the owners of the loco who have kindly made the loco available for the R&D process, in this case the Greensand Railway Museum Trust.

attachicon.gifB6.jpg

Graham Hubbard will be retiring as MD of Bachmann Europe later this year and the 25th anniversary was a fitting event for that with Kenneth Ting, Chairman of Kader industries visiting and talking to the visitors. Mr Ting was a pleasure to talk to and it was obvious he understands the UK's marketplace desire to see every better products.

attachicon.gifB3.jpg

Hi Andy,

Is it only me that thinks that the person who appears in your last photo could very easily be a rear view of one Simon Kohler!!.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

All a bit of a damp squib? 

It all depends on what you model, I've got a pile of Heljan bogies and motors that were going in detailed Hornby 90s and I was wondering whether to have a go at burning my fingers making a mess of Colin Craig's container flats.

For a bit of variety my other interest is narrow gauge, one of my favourite beasts has always been the Baldwin 4-6-0 but the 4mm kits have never really looked right due to the prototype's small wheels and bar frames.

My usual prog rock listening needs to be replaced with a bit of Pharrell Williams after yesterday's news  :danced:

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the status of 'previously announced items' list, how long does each stage of the process normally take. Or is that a bit like asking how long is a piece of string with too many other factors coming into play?

I'm not trying to knock Bachmann here, just get some idea of time scales.

• RMweb Premium

The thing is we know where we stand now. We can get on with building kits or scratch building the locos and rolling stock needed for our layouts, and those dependant on RTR know what they have to look forward to. As regards new liveries, I am surprised the new 'Porthole' coaches have not been announced in BR maroon seeing as folk modelling the transition-era up to 1971 will have no use for blood & custards. Seems a lost opportunity to put money in the till when this is supposed to be the most modelled era.

It assumes they have the production capacity allocated to make them. Suspect this is the main reason behind this years muted announcement . You could argue that they should make maroon staniers rather than the old mainline era LMS coaches, but they need them for the Thames Clyde train pack (I'd assume they a cheaper to produce)  which had already been announced, so perhaps this forced their hand. As to how long things take, well we do just need to be patient, really no choice is there.

Actually looking at it again, I'm probably in for the Crimson L&Y tank  , and I regret not getting a late crest Fairburn the last time they were out. Depends on the price though, as neither are essential

Hi,

Now lets really throw the fat into the fire with this scenario:

Bachmann have recently announced a very substantial hike in prices for OO items.

These price increases will push the price of some locomotives very much towards the £150.00 mark

The cost of 'normal' coach will be towards the £45.00 mark.

The price increases have, it seems, made the production of dmu/emu sets of more than 2 coaches unviable.

The announcements of new models in OO are what can be deacribed as 'low key'.

The beginings of a new range of OO9 models has been announced.

The cost of invividual models in the shops in the OO9 range should be lower than in the OO range.

Sales of OO items begin to fall due to high prices/lack of new items.

Sales of OO9 items rise due to prices, increased interest now items of good quality are available, lack of space for a layout in OO etc.

Announcement that OO range is to be phased out and production will be concentrated on the now very sucessfull OO9 range.

Now I know that i'm probably way off mark with this but its worth thinking about and hant been picked up by anyone else as far as I know.

Personally i'm not moaning about anything in the recent announcement as alrhough most of it does not interest me there are some things that do.

We should be gratefull for what we get in this day and age of production problems.

Moaning about manufacturers announcements has long been part of our hobby - nomatter what is announced there are always people who wanted something else.

It happened with Hornby Dublo and it will continue - such is life.

Regards

Last-announced body styles of Peaks are no nearer the shops then, this (to give but one example) showing as a Hattons pre-order, but absent from update in Post 1.

Class 45 45036 in BR blue with split centre headcode.  32-680

We are indeed Coach and it seems we were - rather to my surprise - both wrong about the Coal Tank, perhaps we were a year too soon with our prediction?  

Following other comments after previous 'annual announcements', if I concentrate on getting my K-kits versions and the LRM version of the Coal Tank built this year, will it be announced as a new model for 2015 ;-).

On a separate point, I have asked the Bachmann representative at shows why they persist with GWR decals instead of 'Great Western' or the shirt button logo. Never received an answer.  They have used them on some models.  Would have thought that the 6406 with Great Western on the tank would have widened the market for sales more.

Archived