Bachmann OO Announcements July 2014

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

There is comment elsewhere regarding a new loco to be announced on the 29 July in partnership with the NRM! Unsure of scale...

http://grahammuz.com/

Gerry

Thanks for the link to my site but the announcement on the 29th has already been mentioned a few times on this thread a few pages back too. (It will be in 4mm.)

• RMweb Gold

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! 

Freightliners at last! :D I  cannot shout loudly enough about how happy I am about this. I've asked for them on every wish list for the last several years, such a huge gap in the freight wagon fleet, only the ancient Hornby one or the superb Colin Craig kit, but I need at least 5 full sets NOW and three times that for the next project on the drawing board.

Not so excited about the 90, yes I'm a huge AC modeller but the 90 is outside my timeframe although the chassis will be very useful.

Andi

• RMweb Gold

The Class 90 is of no interest to me in model form but I have always rather liked the prototype and am quite pleased to see it announced.

Whilst disappointed at the non-announcement of anything major to tempt me, I already have enough on pre-order (from Bachmann and others) to soak up my budget for the next 3 years. The way things are going, my strategy appears to be working out pretty well !

One small word of warning, if the "knitting circle" don't put their money where their mouths are this time, the interval to the next 25kv model may be quite long........

John

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see Bachmann being conservative!

Surprised not to see a Colas 70?

I think you've answered your own question. The 70 needs tooling mods to do the cabs from 70007 upwards and bodyside mods for the Colas 70/8's and the Freighliner fleet that are gradually having the cooler boxes added. In this day and age, I can't see Bachmann just simply doing a re-livery.

If there's a case for a "mid-term announcement", then the Colas 70 woul be a nice one to have in the bag ready.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

For the sake of most of the previous posters I hope Bachmann make a better job of the Class 90 than they did with the Class 101. If they don't, perhaps that will finally end the "Blue box, good, red box, bad" mentality of many on this forum?

And to repeat the point I made many hours ago - what about the budget sound locos that were announced in general terms several months ago? If they've been ditched, why not tell us? If they haven't, let's hear about them.

In my opinion, this 25 year anniversary business has been handled poorly by Bachmann, and all this talk of waiting for further announcements smacks a bit of desperation. If you've made everyone wait an extra six months, you aim for a Wow, not the Dance of the Seven Veils.

Finally, for now, regarding the A2 pacifics, Bachmann are doing exactly what Hornby have done with the Class 50 and Schools classes - repeats of the same liveries and variants, the later ones guaranteed to end up in the "Reduced for Quick Sale" section. Several years on, we are still waiting for a single chimney, late crest A2.

Not to mention a small-chimneyed Schools in BR Green! :offtopic:

John

A huge non-event I'm afraid. All credit for what Bachmann have achieved in their 25years but the six months of hype which surrounded this spawned more speculation than that surrounding MH370. The result was largely a repeat of past promises which are largely as yet unfilfilled. Perhaps there are political ambitions in Barwell.

Ahh but it runs over the diamond crossings at Newcastle Central per your earlier post. So clearly a North Tyneside emu. No wait a minute........an LNER Atlantic. There's one in the NRM. Is it a C1? Never sure of the designations. I know there are large and small boiler variants both preserved there, similar to the already announced Marsh Atlantic. Hmmm stacking up nicely me thinks. But if it's a 90 and an Atlantic , where's the third one? Far from rumourtrol wasn't it Bachmann that said there would be three new models at their last press conference?

So the fat lady has sung, left the building to muted applause and some howls of disappointment will be back in 9 days time to try again

Looking at things logically, any NRM Atlantic would be developed alongside the Brighton version, afterall they would more than likely share components. Given the Brighton Atlantic is still at the research stage (having not even entered the drawing office), how would this tally with an GNR Atlantic being released next week (I say this as LocomotionModels are known for 'announcing' ready or near-ready models). Don't make sense to me.

I'm really not sure it's appropriate or a fair comparison to mention MH370 in the same breadth as the announcements for a model railway company. Might just be me but my initu thought was "too soon". My apologies.

Agreed, now lets please not discuss this anymore and keep to the topic of the OP.

Please don't make my diodes any worse...

For the sake of most of the previous posters I hope Bachmann make a better job of the Class 90 than they did with the Class 101. If they don't, perhaps that will finally end the "Blue box, good, red box, bad" mentality of many on this forum?

And to repeat the point I made many hours ago - what about the budget sound locos that were announced in general terms several months ago? If they've been ditched, why not tell us? If they haven't, let's hear about them.

In my opinion, this 25 year anniversary business has been handled poorly by Bachmann, and all this talk of waiting for further announcements smacks a bit of desperation. If you've made everyone wait an extra six months, you aim for a Wow, not the Dance of the Seven Veils.

Finally, for now, regarding the A2 pacifics, Bachmann are doing exactly what Hornby have done with the Class 50 and Schools classes - repeats of the same liveries and variants, the later ones guaranteed to end up in the "Reduced for Quick Sale" section. Several years on, we are still waiting for a single chimney, late crest A2.

You can add to that the mess they have made of the porthole stock bogies and ride height. It will be interesting to see how many think the Class 90 is value for money if it ends up as twice the cost of a Hornby one.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at things logically, any NRM Atlantic would be developed alongside the Brighton version, afterall they would more than likely share components. Given the Brighton Atlantic is still at the research stage (having not even entered the drawing office), how would this tally with an GNR Atlantic being released next week (I say this as LocomotionModels are known for 'announcing' ready or near-ready models). Don't make sense to me.

Perhaps they have worked sneakily and done the GNR version on the quiet, so the GNR one comes out first with the LBSCR one to follow. That would fit with the LBSCR one still being at that early stage.

Just like the real railways. A proper one comes out first followed by by a copy for the southerners....... 

Can't you put cream on your diodes? Should be able to sit ok in a day or so...

With all due respect my troublesome diodes are down my left side but this conversation also needs to cease as it is not relevant to the OP!

You can add to that the mess they have made of the porthole stock bogies and ride height. It will be interesting to see how many think the Class 90 is value for money if it ends up as twice the cost of a Hornby one.

glad youre interested. i can say now ill be more than happy to cough up twice the money for one rancid Hornby 90 (which you can get new for around £55) as im confident itll be twice as good as that which it succeeds if the bar is the same as the class 85.

Not the hype I was expecting. but a class 90 fills a gap. im more interested in the scenecraft bits this year. altho my airbrush is now calling as there wasn't (yet anyway) any re-liveried CEPs, and ive really got a taste for JAFFA cakes!!! :paint:

JUST SUPPOSING that there is actually an NRM Atlantic 251 project, what if that has actually been on the go, on the quiet, for some time and is therefore actually far more advanced than the Brighton version (AS TBG HAS JUST NIPPED IN TO SAY WHILST I WAS TYPING), which could conceivably have been announced first simply to warn Hornby off from some suspected intention of going for a Brighton Atlantic?

You never know......

Personally I'm pleased that I am not going to get too tempted to spend. The olive green BCK and the Toad in engineers' yellow are the two items that reached out to me. I do think it is sensible of Bachmann to not announce too much new stuff when there is still a massive backlog of previously announced models still to appear. I'd rather have something available now to buy than something that I will be waiting for years to buy, and I'm sure model shop proprietors would agree.

I would have liked to see an N class in oo in SECR livery to provide some variety for the still to arrive birdcage coaches. I look forward to the NRM announcement, as I've happily bought quite a lot of the previous Bachmann/NRM models.

glad youre interested. i can say now ill be more than happy to cough up twice the money for one rancid Hornby 90 (which you can get new for around £55) as im confident itll be twice as good as that which it succeeds if the bar is the same as the class 85.

I hadn't realised the Hornby one was so cheap bearing in mind the comments about downgrading it to rail road. I suspect that the Bachmann one will be nearer 150+ in view of price increases already announced and the lead time to production.

With all due respect my troublesome diodes are down my left side but this conversation also needs to cease as it is not relevant to the OP!

.....ditto....personally, I'd rather that outstanding models did the talking every time....could we have a few sometime soon please?

Dave

Guest Belgian

Looking at things logically, any NRM Atlantic would be developed alongside the Brighton version, after all they would more than likely share components. Given the Brighton Atlantic is still at the research stage (having not even entered the drawing office), how would this tally with an GNR Atlantic being released next week (I say this as the NRM are known for 'announcing' ready or near-ready models). Don't make sense to me.

I was just about to post a similar comment: I too expect an NRM C1 Atlantic 'one day' but, as you point out, the NRM's past record has been to announce a model that is either completely new and not otherwise on any announcements listing, or, in a couple of cases (such as the Director I think), an announcement of a model which is a version of one currently arriving in the shops. On that basis the C1 seems unlikely at present. Perhaps an L&Y tank in the preserved condition is a possible or, as often mentioned, the SECR D, to be followed very shortly by the postponed Bachmann 'additional item' of mainstream Ds which has been getting so many of our fellow writers excited.

On another point, but also concerning 'excited' writing, I'm not surprised that so many people have expressed disappointment at the news today. Those who have defended it may have thought that mid-year announcements have been low-key in times past so this would be in that mould. But I think those not in the know have been at the least led to believe that this was to be the major announcement of the year, replacing the normal early part of the year annual announcement and, putting two and two together, may well have expected a bigger-than-usual list, not only because it is effectively a 15 month announcement but also a 'celebration' announcement which normally indicates something extra special and might even combine the normal mid-year announcements.

So all those 'in the know' should be a little less harsh on those who don't know - we all like to dream and when our balloons are popped by the clever ones we get somewhat deflated.

There's no-one less popular than a 'know it all'.

Jeremy English

EDIT It took me ages to write the above and about ten other posts went up before it! Graeme King's posting makes a lot of sense . . .

I hadn't realised the Hornby one was so cheap bearing in mind the comments about downgrading it to rail road. I suspect that the Bachmann one will be nearer 150+ in view of price increases already announced and the lead time to production.

I agree,by the time some of these models make it to market will have some very scary prices!.

if you care about the standard of your models you wont give a fig if all the Hornby 90s go on ebay. fools and their money are easily parted.itll help those preferring the new version fund their purchases. frankly with such a glut of them on ebay i cant see them fetching much no matter how rare they may be.

they are way past their prime now.....

When I had a clear out last year, a new "china" 90037 went for £17 and half done projects just £10 for essentially a working loco, conversely a Lima 73 project went for over £30. So i can't see prices going high enough to tempt me to sell others from my fleet...

although i did like hornbys effort at the high speed pantograph which also found a home on its class 87.

The one on their 92 wasn't too bad, although in a curious case of not realising parts compatability, it never really got to other electrics but they did make a new base to go on their inherited 87, anyone thinking of cannibalizing a Bachy 90 to update one will soon find there is a lot of work to do on the roof to correct what Lima got wrong all those years ago.

• RMweb Gold

im fact looking at hattons this evening they are now showing the new class 90 at imho a very decent £119

provided it ticks all the boxes id say the price wont be too much of an issue for most.

edited to add a smiley :)

This price , like they have done before with the LBSC H2 Atlantic, is a pure guess on their behalf as Bachmann have not yet released a price for either. It seems to me to be a 'hook' practice...

Archived