Dapol Pillbox Brake Van In Shops (Friday)

Great Western

Hi Great Western,   I have the same problem. did you order one of the ones in the final corrected list ??  I think what has happened is the shops ordered what they thought they needed based on preorders using the original descriptions, bearing in mind that the original descriptons were for very uninteresting or innaccurate variants.  When they discovered what was actually being delivered they had all the wrong quantities. Some shops do not seem to have known about the changes until I personally emailed them and, even then, some failed to change their websites until they received the models,  I suspect that everyone is now waiting for new supplies from China to complete preorders.  If Dapol play fair they will supply at the old price but I guess, legally, they are under no obligation and might decide to up the prices. You may then be emailed with the option of paying more or not getting one,   Don't forget the price was calculated in 2011 for delivery 2012 and two years of major price hikes have happened in China.  Chinese firms have their own way of interpreting contracts which don't always come down on the side of the customer.  A new batch may be months away and a new price will have to be negotiated.

Gaugemaster emailed me to say, apparently, they only had 3 of each, quite how many Dapol have received and how many have been delivered  to retailers I don't know. Even if they have them on their website they may not be supplying more to retailers until they receive the next batch.   They will want to sell as many direct as possible, I assume, to maximise their profit and once the shops have had their allocation that may be it.   Even if you are buying from Dapol direct, what is on their website may be out of date, as it so often is. Don't forget what Dapol told the GOG, when this batch has been sold there will probably be significant price rises.  That may not have been an idle threat to speed up sales.    Maybe they are putting all the models with the wrong running numbers through the print department to correct them and that may already be clogged up with Milk tanks with a similar problem.  Let us know how you get on       adrianbs

Hi Adrian,

As long as models are produced in China there will be continued and continuous price increases due to, at the very least, 'minimum wage' increases brought about by the Chinese govt. (they need to make up, via taxes etc., for their one child policy and their aging population, thus financial 'burden'). IMHO most model-railway manufacturers will hang on in China until it 'hurts' too much, which IMHO will then be too late - at the moment it is very much like Charles Handy's frog scenario for the model railway manufacturers. Which is, unless the manufacturers are 'fibbing' when they say that they wont move away from China due to training and capital investment costs, is very myopic (I would have a medium to long term strategy to extricate my business from China if I were them - but I shall have to charge consultancy rates for more info LOL!).

Looking at more photos of the Pillbox in the various publications/reviews, what strikes me is the application of the livery etc. is superb (even if in some aspects its wrong) yet the solebars look too deep and the springs just look, well, weird. If they ever knock them out at £30 I would have one and then fettle it, but not at the £60 + price point (or more with proposed price increases). Interesting to note that none of the reviews I have read have identified any of the problems listed in this thread, rather like guitar mags 20-25 years ago, it seems that reviews have stopped being reliable (for the punter to make an informed decision) due to financial 'drivers'? But then we are only playing trains and the world seems to want capitalism so who am I to say?!

As always, I make no value judgements about those who have purchased the Dapol model - each to their own as they say.

ATVB to one and all,

CME

Hi all    The springs are weird only having 5 leaves but the solebars are deceptive, in real life they have a plate rivetted on the top edge which adds 5/8" to the depth of 15 " straight away and is difficult to delineate on a model. Additionally there is a similar plate on the bottom under the cabin area  which on the Dapol model is a separate base moulding approximately 1mm thick when it should only be about  0.36mm thick. Mine has lost its "Stick" to the chassis and dropped down which may be a "good thing" as it could be removed and replaced with some 15thou black plasticard.  The centre brake parts will need removing and refitting but this needs to be altered to correct the angle of the tumbler,   I am not quite sure why this plafe is not integral with the main chassis as you cannot see the cabin floor through the windows and there is no interior detail to see anyway.      Regards adrianbs

Adrian; once again I've had to remove comments from your post which could attract attention to you for being libellous. Please be very careful what you say that may be supposition without proven evidence. What you consider to be proof may not be the law's interpretation.

Hi all In the context of "Duplication" or "Copying" in the model railway field, these are two very different procedures, the former is totally legal at any time whilst the latter may be illegal depending on the circumstances. Copying an item with "Unregistered design copyright" within 10 years of the original being made available to the public, i.e. anyone who might wish to try and copy the product, can be actionable. After 10 years there is no further protection although it might well be frowned upon as an unfair way of producing a competing product. Duplication on the other hand is totally acceptable at any time, even before the ten years have elapsed, provided that the item does not rely in any way on the design of the existing product and it has only been produced from available source material. There has been a huge amount of duplication in the model railway field as I know from personal experience. There has been plenty of copying as well which usually involves producing items no longer available although by no means always.

Copying is difficult to detect if both items are extremely accurate renditions of a prototype, as they are ( or should be ) in the case of models. It is easy to spot if the first design is not an exact reproduction of something else, but a modified design never previously existing. It may have easily identifiable features i.e.shape or position of details which differ from, say, the full size prototype. The main problem for copiers is that they usually do little research or design because that is how they save money and easily mistake features on the product being copied as being accurate to the prototype. That is how I have spotted copies of my products and those of others. The introduction of tell-tales is sometimes used to catch out the unwary but may not be necessary. The old adage " A mother knows her own child" is usually adequate to spot copies but tell-tales can be used if legal action is being taken.

I hope this is not libellous Andy and clarifies the situation Regards all adrianbs

Is it just me or is anyone else becoming increasing fed up with 'adrianbs' constant negative comments on all things Dapol and 7 mm scale?

I think we've got the message now, the Pill Box and Milk Tanker aren't 100% actuate! but for those of us who haven't the skill to build kits they look right to our eyes.

Thank you for your reviews, but drop the continued negativity please it's annoying.

Great Western.

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me or is anyone else becoming increasing fed up with 'adrianbs' constant negative comments on all things Dapol and 7 mm scale?

I think we've got the message now, the Pill Box and Milk Tanker aren't 100% actuate! but for those of us who haven't the skill to build kits they look right to our eyes.

Thank you for your reviews, but drop the continued negativity please it's annoying.

Great Western.

Couldn't agree more

There are many respected people within the hobby who are not shy about making known there feeling when a model has potential faults. The difference is that they state there feeling once and move one. They don't regurgitate the same statements & criticisms on a daily basis.

I do not normally model in O gauge but the club I belong to is starting a plan a new O gauge layout which I seem to have got roped into helping build. I have my own OO gauge layout started so don't have time to spend on building O gauge models so the new generation of O gauge r-t-r models are ideal for me so that I can have a few wagons to run on the layout. In fact I feel like buying a brake van and tankers just to annoy 'adrianbs' (anyone know if the b.s. stands for anything?)

Adrian's reviews of Dapol's products have left us much better informed about them. I might have been tempted to buy the milk tanks but now I won't. Perhaps Dapol will respond by going all out to show what they can do and produce really outstanding models that I think in the 21st century we should be expecting.

Hi all In the context of "Duplication" or "Copying" in the model railway field, these are two very different procedures, the former is totally legal at any time whilst the latter may be illegal depending on the circumstances. Copying an item with "Unregistered design copyright" within 10 years of the original being made available to the public, i.e. anyone who might wish to try and copy the product, can be actionable. After 10 years there is no further protection although it might well be frowned upon as an unfair way of producing a competing product. Duplication on the other hand is totally acceptable at any time, even before the ten years have elapsed, provided that the item does not rely in any way on the design of the existing product and it has only been produced from available source material. There has been a huge amount of duplication in the model railway field as I know from personal experience. There has been plenty of copying as well which usually involves producing items no longer available although by no means always.

Copying is difficult to detect if both items are extremely accurate renditions of a prototype, as they are ( or should be ) in the case of models. It is easy to spot if the first design is not an exact reproduction of something else, but a modified design never previously existing. It may have easily identifiable features i.e.shape or position of details which differ from, say, the full size prototype. The main problem for copiers is that they usually do little research or design because that is how they save money and easily mistake features on the product being copied as being accurate to the prototype. That is how I have spotted copies of my products and those of others. The introduction of tell-tales is sometimes used to catch out the unwary but may not be necessary. The old adage " A mother knows her own child" is usually adequate to spot copies but tell-tales can be used if legal action is being taken.

I hope this is not libellous Andy and clarifies the situation Regards all adrianbs

Both duplication and 'copying' is not needed in the market place for 7mm. I know what you mean by similarities between the Dapol model and a.n.other, it has been noted by other manufacturers too.

Great Western.

I dont see any negativity - just facts. Everyone has a choice - relatively speaking - to buy what they want and when they want to. I feel that Dapol have been very cynical with their 7mm scale releases to date and if you want to reward such an approach then keep buying their products, it's that simple (thus proving once again that capitalism doesnt work). I believe that DJM will show, in time, that Dave did a great job for Dapol and that Dapol didnt listen/were not grateful - Dave may not have been perfect, yet I wouldnt have wanted to work for Dapol.

I think that there is a worrying trend - amongst the professionals - that reviews (by magazines) of these new models, the POW's too, were/are severely lacking (hence my reference the very same in the world of guitars 20 years or so ago). Many, myself included, cannot afford a library of 'research books' (although SWMBO may disagree as I seem to have a lot of railway books ;-) ) and also, we are all ignorant to something - I have yet to meet someone who knows everything about everything - so as I did, 20 or more years ago (when in bands/playing guitars), I relied on reviewers (magazines) for accurate facts about a product before I splashed the cash (it was true to say that I would of course try before I purchased as every guitar is different). Eg. I know, at this point in time, very little about the soon to be released Heljan Tank wagons. The likes of ABS have done us all a favour.

The internet is like the TV if you dont like the programme then turn over or switch off. <rolls eyes, laughs, goes to make a cuppa>

Couldn't agree more

There are many respected people within the hobby who are not shy about making known there feeling when a model has potential faults. The difference is that they state there feeling once and move one. They don't regurgitate the same statements & criticisms on a daily basis.

I do not normally model in O gauge but the club I belong to is starting a plan a new O gauge layout which I seem to have got roped into helping build. I have my own OO gauge layout started so don't have time to spend on building O gauge models so the new generation of O gauge r-t-r models are ideal for me so that I can have a few wagons to run on the layout. In fact I feel like buying a brake van and tankers just to annoy 'adrianbs' (anyone know if the b.s. stands for anything?)

As I said before, it's your money, it's your choice, yet buying second best just rewards mediocrity (in this case a cynical manufacturer). That wouldnt be a bad thing - and isnt in the grand scheme of things - if the company knew no better and the models were cheap and cheerful etc etc.

IMHHO much better for you to give your £60 + to charity and have a better feeling of wellbeing than give it to Dapol just to spite ABS <smiles to himself and continues to see the world as Fugazi>

There's plenty to talk about Adrian in thousands of threads from hundreds of posters. Most of them far more fun and positive.

I can see your point - and you are a nice fellow - but telling the truth isnt a bad thing and is a 'positive'. Personally 'realistic and truthful thinking' will always trump 'positive' as more often than not 'positive' is unrealistic. Our world of model-railways is often used for escapism whereby we make a model (utopia) and get away from the day to day issues of the world, yet even when playing trains money comes into play - therefore, I for one, would rather hear the truth of the matter.

Adrian's reviews of Dapol's products have left us much better informed about them. I might have been tempted to buy the milk tanks but now I won't. Perhaps Dapol will respond by going all out to show what they can do and produce really outstanding models that I think in the 21st century we should be expecting.

I couldnt agree more!

I for one support Adrian wholeheartedly and agree with 90164's sentiment.

Regards, Mick.

+1.

From my POV, I think that Adrian has been very brave to continually stick his head above the parapet time after time. One fellow said to me, 'I think that you guys, on that thread, are being a little harsh on Dapol, they are only trying their best' (in precis and not verbatim). Up to a point, lets send each other love and light, but, Dapol are a commercial enterprise, operating within a free-market and therefore there can be no love lost if they get it wrong. I had one 'expert' state to me that he hadnt heard about the problems with Heljan's (7mm scale diesels) gearboxes failing - even after the time when Heljan claimed that they had sorted the problem - this expert had a wealth of knowledge and writes for various mags and really should have known better. Yet not once has any mag written about this problem - a problem whereby I have known, after multiple failures, at least two modellers sell off their small 'fleets' of Heljan locos - a quick Google usually highlights those who have had this problem with their Heljan loco. This makes me now believe, that there is an agenda relating the advertising revenue. The point I am trying to make is that, if these faults/problems/errors occurred with a TV (also worth £500-600) one wouldnt be asked to fix it yourself (with the parts supplied for free) and if it were an e-reader et al this matter would have appeared on 'BBC's Watchdog' by now. Why should we, at a high price point (eg 7mm models), have to put up with second best?

If we relied purely on reviews in mags, then none of us would have known how poor the POW's and the Pillbox are and so, Dapol gain - and maintain - sales of the mediocre. Therefore, so it would seem, for capitalism to work (and thus for survival of the least fittest to work), what has to happen is that the dice is loaded and the game skewed? If that is the case I find that wholly distasteful - very unsavoury in fact!

Adrian's comments havent nit-picked he has highlighted, with the POW's and the Pillbox, a whole host of problems/faults/errors - which all goes into the repository of knowledge.

True to say that worse things happen at sea, yet I am grateful for anyone who can point out the strengths and weaknesses of a model, before I spend any cash - it seems that the mainstream reviewers dont and wont do such anymore (I do empathize with their predicament in the current financial economic climate - yet if I am correct the reader is being led astray).

I keep seeing/hearing phrases such as 'I cant build a kit'. I, for one, cannot accept, that a model railway enthusiast cant build an injection moulded plastic kit to a decent standard, is it a case of 'cant build a kit, wont build a kit' ? (see what I did there - LOL!!). Or is it the instant gratification thing again? If it is the latter, then humanity is in - psychologically speaking - more of a bad way than, even I, first thought!

Just because this Thread aint all roses around the door, doesnt mean that it isnt valid, as all of the POVs add to the hobby and repository of knowledge.

I sincerely want Dapol to succeed with the Terrier and 08, the price points seem spot on, yet to date they have dropped the ball IMHO - which saddens me for a myriad of reasons, one of which is the bizarre levels of support (from punters) a company who cant 'get it right' achieves without actually earning such levels of support. <shakes head, weeps slightly and then laughs maniacally!>

Kind regards to all,

CME

• RMweb Gold

If we relied purely on reviews in mags, then none of us would have known how poor the POW's and the Pillbox are and so, Dapol gain - and maintain - sales of the mediocre. 

Perhaps the difference between us is what we call mediocre. I personally feel that the Brake Van looks like a Pillbox Van and would not describe it as mediocre. 

I was interested to read Adrian's views about the odd rivet being wrong here and there (the first couple of times he said it!), he obviously has a wealth of knowledge about such things (but then he is a rival wagon manufacturer!). I just think he does himself a disservice sometimes by the repetitive nature of his posts attacking Dapol

So I have a choice of a Dapol Van, no van or you're suggesting I donate to charity (perhaps my donations to charity are a separate issue to this thread?). I think I'll still buy a Dapol Van.

Perhaps the difference between us is what we call mediocre. I personally feel that the Brake Van looks like a Pillbox Van and would not describe it as mediocre. 

I was interested to read Adrian's views about the odd rivet being wrong here and there (the first couple of times he said it!), he obviously has a wealth of knowledge about such things (but then he is a rival wagon manufacturer!). I just think he does himself a disservice sometimes by the repetitive nature of his posts attacking Dapol

So I have a choice of a Dapol Van, no van or you're suggesting I donate to charity (perhaps my donations to charity are a separate issue to this thread?). I think I'll still buy a Dapol Van.

I agree, to a point, 'a recognizable model of the prototype running in a credible background' (in precis and not verbatim) the late - great - Jack Ray.

ABS isnt a rival to Dapol - Adrian is semi-retired and from what I can tell has a wealth of knowledge and hard work under his belt. Dapol - according to a magazine interview - allowed a fellow in China a freehand in producing the current 7mm scale models. Some would in eg. surgical equipment manufacture, see such an approach as negligent.

The issue is, near to the top of the thread is my model of a recognizable prototype in a credible background and that's okay as I am an ameatuer and I am not building to sell such, Dapol is a subject matter expert though, a professional organisation.

You do indeed have a choice, I merely suggested a donation to charity as a more positive outcome for your spite against ABS. The psychological construct of retail therapy thus averted and turned into something more worthwhile - why not do both!

I keep seeing/hearing phrases such as 'I cant build a kit'. I, for one, cannot accept, that a model railway enthusiast cant build an injection moulded plastic kit to a decent standard, is it a case of 'cant build a kit, wont build a kit' ? (see what I did there - LOL!!). Or is it the instant gratification thing again? If is it the latter, then humanity is in - psychologically speaking - more of a bad way than, even I, first thought!

Kind regards to all,

CME

For those who want to run a model railways and trains rather than model individual vehicles then they may have other priorities and will not mind that a rtr model is only a reasonable approximation of the prototype as long it mets thier requirements. They also may get hacked off with those who insist or imply that if a model is not to thier standard it is not a good model and while somebody else can, of course, buy it - they really aren't a proper modeler and are 'playing trains' if they if they stoop so low.

In terms of the ability to build kits to an acceptable standard, it depends on your standard. I see many kit models which are less than the standard I would except, but I don't say this from any point of superiority since i have to get most models painted by somebody else to achieve a standard I am happy with.

For those who want to run a model railways and trains rather than model individual vehicles then they may have other priorities and will not mind that a rtr model is only a reasonable approximation of the prototype as long it mets thier requirements. They also may get hacked off with those who insist or imply that if a model is not to thier standard it is not a good model and while somebody else can, of course, buy it - they really aren't a proper modeler and are 'playing trains' if they if they stoop so low.

In terms of the ability to build kits to an acceptable standard, it depends on your standard. I see many kit models which are less than the standard I would except, but I don't say this from any point of superiority since i have to get most models painted by somebody else to achieve a standard I am happy with.

By and large I agree.

But the point I am endeavouring to make is that we are not getting the quality of reviews of old and thus the information required.

Dapol is doing this as a business and is being protected from rigorous critiques and criticism through the use of various levers of power (in the mainstream).

I make no value judgements about others 'playing trains' etc - I like doing that too - and one man's meat is anothers' poison.

I agree that there are a lot of 'duff' kits out there too, slowly that is getting better, through the use of the lever of power that is the consumer.

Love or hate Adrian, he provides facts, what tires me is - as mentioned before - the one line snipers who add little or no value or knowledge, some of us want to learn more and then make an informed decision.

ATVB

CME

• RMweb Premium

Is this right thread for an argument?

Surely we have three options open to us depending upon how much time and effort we have and the degree to which absolute fidelity is a must:

1. Look at the model, accept it has its problems, buy it and run it as a representation of its type

2. Look at the model, accept it needs some work, buy it, modify it to the degree you find necessary (given the copious notes provided by ABS) and run the improved model.

3. Look at the model, accept that it is too compromised for your own standards, don't buy it, and scratch or kit build an alternative that you are happy with.

We each have our own reasons for modelling, have our own interpretations of 'that's good enough for me' and of course we have individual time/money/skill constraints. One size solution does not fit all.

Yes, I agree the Dapol model should be better and more accurate.

Yes, I agree that the mag reviews I've seen so far appear to be a little superficial (but i temper that with acknowledging that mag staff can't be experts in every field)

Yes, I'm thankful that ABS has taken the time to catalogue the issues.

Yes, I find the repetition of the issues and Dapol knocking a tad tedious.

At the end of the day, and armed with the information provided, I've decided that I won't be buying a Dapol model and will be doing my own thing with a suitable kit as a starting point. I won't be forcing this approach on others, they can do what suits them.

Panic over...

Guest 838rapid

I have to say for what its worth,I ended up blocking Adrian as I am fed up to the back teeth with the

Moaning and moaning about what's allegedly in his opinion at difference with the models.

My thread is no doubt pages lighter and more positive in general for my actions.

We are all entitled an opinion about different things on here,just a shame certain individuals seem to be like scratched records,and almost incessant.

Will I be buying the aforementioned wagons,yeS!! It's my railway and my rules #my railway.

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see Parkside Dundas are introducing a LNER 20 ton ''Toad E' brake van, for £39.90 or maybe less from Tower Models in due course. A useful smaller van, I predict it will be easy to build, accurate, and turn up on time.

Dava

To most people the said item looks enough like what its intended to function as such .It doesnt look like a cabbage or a haddock or a Volkswagen Golf but like a Southern brake van .This is enough for me and doubtless many others .Most models are inaccurate if not in their detail then at least the setting they are used in.People like my painted model soldiers but if I made them ultra realistic few would buy the shabby faded color  hunger racked  skeleton  most soldiers were  .

The Dapol Brake van as a museum scale model  seems to fall down.It will not inform future generations as to its complete external and  internal detail.I make models for living .If someone pays  me  to make a a perfect scale model in every detail I charge accordingly .The customer usually goes a funny colour,splutters and goes.If he stays and pays me  lot of money he will get a perfect scale model to HIS /HER specification .If he wants to knock me down in price then he gets what he pays for .At 60 quid you have all got your moneys worth  believe me

Martin.

Hi all Well said TomJ, they are indeed making Toy Trains but that's where the problems lie, the boxes say "Authentic Scale Model".

There is another RTR manufacturer of similarly priced 7mm/ft wagons who makes no such claims on his boxing and yet his products are indeed, by comparison, surgical equipment. They are made in the same country, China, by a much smaller firm with, presumably, a smaller capital base and there are a similar number of basic models. These are soon to be joined by additional items and they already have a coach and two locomotives available to the same high standards. I think that rather puts your argument to rest

Regards adrianbs

At the end of the day Dapol aren't making surgical equipment they are making toy trains for us to play with (in whatever form that takes). Comparing the two is a bit of hyperbole

I was just making a comparison, an extreme one, so as to get my point across.

Dapol have missed the mark, but at least the Pillbox is okay to drag behind a train (if it were cheaper).

FWIW most of the whinging on here seems to be done by those who want to buy the Dapol product (with lots of one liners and no added value) :-) - as I always say, each to their own, I make no value judgements.

'HYPERBOLE'

noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. (my italics).

All seems a bit like though;-

Lol!!

Archived