OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

It's about at 50% subscribed at the moment but looking at the figures I'm thinking of adding another green one and a green fywp E5010 to the list.

What do others think?

Cheers

Dave

Personally, I would only go for a blue one, but I can see there would be a market for more green in the transition period which seems to be ascendant currently. At this level of pre-interest, assuming a sell-out when the model gets better publicity in the trade press, does this make the 74 more of a probability than a possibility?

best, Mike

It's about at 50% subscribed at the moment but looking at the figures I'm thinking of adding another green one and a green fywp E5010 to the list.

What do others think?

Cheers

Dave

Personally speaking, the extras sound good but I can only afford one at this stage - already ordered in green syp.

Thanks for the quick answer too.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Dave.

I have a Plain Green and Green SYP on order.  I would definitely add anothe Plain Green to my order if one were going to be available.  Might I suggest E5009 which, IIRC, went straight from plain green to blue in late 67/early 68.  That would give you and your customers the widest possible time-span for a plain green 'un and maybe a few extra sales?

Regards,
Bob.

Edited for important typo.  should have read E5009, not E5003.  Doh!

Edited by Phatbob

Hello Dave.

I have a Plain Green and Green SYP on order.  I would definitely add anothe Plain Green to my order if one were going to be available.  Might I suggest E5003 which, IIRC, went straight from plain green to blue in late 67/early 68.  That would give you and your customers the widest possible time-span for a plain green 'un and maybe a few extra sales?

Regards,

Bob.

I have ordered the plain green one mainly because I remember them like that when new - yes that old

What do others think?

Cheers

Dave

I've been trying to drum up support for this on my groups and at work (railway) but this NRM obstacle is causing concern. Really don't see why they have the right to block or delay things like this, after all one would think they would support interest in heritage and possible visits to see the real thing?

Bachmann seemed to do ok with the NRM Deltic, what about calling this the NRM class 71? might sweeten things? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What do others think?

Cheers

Dave

Now then Dave, I've been saving my pennies and have enough to order an E5009 in plain green in addition to the two I've ordered already.  So when are you/Kernow going to announce it, along with the green FYE E5010?

"Cash waiting", as they say in the wanted adds. ;-)

Now then Dave, I've been saving my pennies and have enough to order an E5009 in plain green in addition to the two I've ordered already.  So when are you/Kernow going to announce it, along with the green FYE E5010?

"Cash waiting", as they say in the wanted adds. ;-)

Hi mate,

Soon, quite soon. I'm expecting to release some rather tasty information in around 2 weeks from now on this project.

And maybe show a picture or 2

Cheers

Dave

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Dave

For those of us who have committed funds to this project, would it be possible to set up an e-mail newsletter using our e-mail addresses provided to Kernow, so that we can receive updates at the time they are announced, rather than have to rely on RMweb or other railway modelling media as our source of info

Dave

For those of us who have committed funds to this project, would it be possible to set up an e-mail newsletter using our e-mail addresses provided to Kernow, so that we can receive updates at the time they are announced, rather than have to rely on RMweb or other railway modelling media as our source of info

Hi mate, great ideas and one I shall talk to Chris at Kernow about. Thanks

Not long until I let you all in on a few tidbits of information.

I'm hoping by next Friday everything will be in place for 3 or maybe 4 progress announcements on this project, and all of them positive!

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

Looking forward to it Dave.

Not subscribed to the 71 but I wish the project well.  If it morphs into a 74 you have a customer here for probably two.

Great for the bit of news. I'll second for an eventual class 74.

And I'll third it.

Anyone notice something unusual about the bogie?

No, not the lack of shoes as they are off the real thing and inside the body for safe keeping.

No prizes mind, just something interesting :-)

I didn't say, as I thought it was common knowledge...

Your not referring to the fact the preserved example is sitting on a combination of spoked and disc wheels are you? I asked about this at the Crewe open day many years ago, and was told it was due to when it went in for overhaul before preservation that was all they had.

Your not referring to the fact the preserved example is sitting on a combination of spoked and disc wheels are you? I asked about this at the Crewe open day many years ago, and was told it was due to when it went in for overhaul before preservation that was all they had.

Hi mate.

Spot on! ( but no prize, lol)

Indeed, in 1979 ( her last overhaul) it seems that she was given a set of disc wheels on one bogie and subsequently ran like this on the network in the following years.

Cheers

Dave

Class 71 in OO gauge.

BREAKING NEWS

Hi everyone, I'm delighted to announce that a 'tipping point' for the class 71 has been reached and surpassed and as such, the model will definitely go into production with a view to a first EP shot in early 2015 and production models June/July 2015 if no snags are encountered along the way.

I took a chance and had the real thing laser scanned a few months ago when there was a big move round for the last Barrow Hill weekend, when I could be assured access to the loco in a clear area would be possible to allow for successful scanning. So apologies to those that like me were expecting to 'party' with the class 71 at Barrow Hill, but I hope you understand that it was an opportunity not to be missed.

I expect to be able, with a fair wind, to show progress from the scanning within the next week to 10 days.

How does this affect you? Well if you signed up, you now know the model is coming, and can watch this thread for any updates. Due to software and data protection rules, Kernow’s newsletter will have all written updates so that all subscribers get that directly, but they will also appear on my web site, RMWeb and in the magazines.

Other than that, please be patient, its full 'spark' ahead now (i couldn’t use the word steam there now could i?).

As the project is not fully subscribed yet, there will still be an opportunity to sign up for one or more until they are sold out or by the end of March 2015 under the same terms as the original appeal.

May i thank you all for your faith in this product, and the style of fund raising, and i believe this is the first time that this has been used to fund such a large (financially) project.  :locomotive:

• Like 7

Obviously you should never ever just rely on laser scanning so i went to measure the loco as well at the same time.

Here are a couple of pictures of me accurately measuring the loco for checking against the plans and the scanned model.

the measurements i made were particularly accurate with the wheel diameter coming in at 36ft, and the body length around 16 1/2 ft, so its going well

post-1144-0-75412400-1415984625_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-96176300-1415984644_thumb.jpg

• Like 1