RMweb

OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Hi,  :)

If you have time, see my video, up in this thread... the reply is in the video.

chipset : ESU loksound V4.0 with legomanbiffo sound. 

Speaker : 8 Ohm Bass Reflex Speakers.

Have a good day.  :yes:

Edited by Module00

Hi,  :)

If you have time, see my video, up in this thread... the reply is in the video.

chipset : ESU loksound V4.0 with legomanbiffo sound. 

Speaker : 8 Ohm Bass Reflex Speakers.

Have a good day.  :yes:

What's the actual issue with it, as the sounds need a 'Low Bass' speaker, the Bass Reflex 8 ohms is less powerful than a 4 ohms Bass Reflex (Not as noisy) but even the 4 Ohms dos'nt give you the correct sounds. We have tried one of our EM1 Speakers & a Sugarcube speaker, combined together and wired in parallel they give out 1.25Watts, suitable for 80% volume without overloading the speakers (IE Blowing them up).  Worth a try.  Charlie DCKits/Legomanbiffo. 

Thank you for your technical point of view. and advice. 

The sound is good but i think that electrical sound don't give the same result than diesel or steam. 

That seems to be a problem with the architecture of the decoders and how they handle the sounds, rather than a speaker problem.

I have several electric locos and units with sound, and while I generally like them, they mostly lack the whine of the traction motors, and even if they do have the whine, they lack synchronisation with track speed. That seems to be impossible to arrange entirely satisfactorily, from what I have seen and heard so far.

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Gold

That seems to be a problem with the architecture of the decoders and how they handle the sounds, rather than a speaker problem.

I have several electric locos and units with sound, and while I generally like them, they mostly lack the whine of the traction motors, and even if they do have the while, they lack synchronisation with track speed. That seems to be impossible to arrange entirely satisfactorily, from what I have seen and heard so far.

The lack of either a prime mover or a chuff makes electric traction a bit dull aurally. And much of the time electric traction is coasting, too. Not much noise then above blowers and rail joints!

Headcode lights.

One thing that has bugged me with this otherwise wonderful model is the headcode lights.

It appears a deal of trouble has been gone to in order that both ends light up no matter which direction the model is going.

While it would have been nice to have a bi-colored red/white LED that changed with direction this would only have been right for light loco moves.

In fact even the small red marker lights would have had to be switched off under rule if the lcco was pulling anything and certainly the headcode panel.

So my question is, does any one know or have a circuit diagram so I can find out how the headcode leds are wired up?

Assuming they are just in parallel it will be a fairly simple matter to add a small diode in each leds wire so they become directional.

Grateful for any thoughts on this?

Thanks 

Assuming they are just in parallel it will be a fairly simple matter to add a small diode in each leds wire so they become directional.

LED's ARE diodes... Light Emitting Diodes.... adding another diode as you suggest would have no effect if wired in the same direction, and stop the LED from working if wired in the opposite direction. Besides which, the LED's are connected to an output of the DCC module (or blanking circuit, if not using DCC), not across the track feeds.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Finally have the 71 weathered though lacking a workbench of any sort and any form of decent lighting it hasn't been as easy as I would have liked and isn't my bests job ever.  The pan well in particular proved tricky as powders had to be worked into every nook and cranny and refused to grab.

The loco also has its detail parts fitted - shoebeams, lifting lugs, vacuum pipes (trimmed to permit coupler swing) and headcodes, plus it has a driver.

post-3305-0-19832400-1508931646_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-43231700-1508931660_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-10889800-1508931676_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi,

To clarify a few possible misconceptions.......

When I ordered the 71’s for the crowdfunding models I ordered exactly the numbers required plus some extra, to cope for replacements should a crowdfunders model be faulty.

Now apart from a couple of models that were returned and replaced, that was it. And as such I’d paid for stock that was essentially ‘dead’ sitting there in stock awaiting customers problems. These problems have never materialised and as such the 71 has proved to be an extremely well built and reliable locomotive.

Having sat on the fully paid for models for some goodly few months, the distributor needed the space and I wanted them off the books.

Hence why I have offered them to some stockists to sell on.

There aren’t a huge amount out there, and some stockists had their orders downgraded to cover just 2 or 3 models, as there weren’t enough to go around for the few stockists that wanted them.

So that’s it really, just generating cash for my outlay because the model has been so successful.

The class 74 is untouched by this situation, and remains in cad/cam design to get the roof and sides correct.

I hope this clears up the questions posted.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Hi,

To clarify a few possible misconceptions.......

When I ordered the 71’s for the crowdfunding models I ordered exactly the numbers required plus some extra, to cope for replacements should a crowdfunders model be faulty.

Now apart from a couple of models that were returned and replaced, that was it. And as such I’d paid for stock that was essentially ‘dead’ sitting there in stock awaiting customers problems. These problems have never materialised and as such the 71 has proved to be an extremely well built and reliable locomotive.

Having sat on the fully paid for models for some goodly few months, the distributor needed the space and I wanted them off the books.

Hence why I have offered them to some stockists to sell on.

There aren’t a huge amount out there, and some stockists had their orders downgraded to cover just 2 or 3 models, as there weren’t enough to go around for the few stockists that wanted them.

So that’s it really, just generating cash for my outlay because the model has been so successful.

The class 74 is untouched by this situation, and remains in cad/cam design to get the roof and sides correct.

I hope this clears up the questions posted.

Cheers

Dave

I have two purchased at launch. Many good points, though I wish it had more mphhhhhhhhhh.

004 more than 10 in stock at Hattons and Kernow

005 More than 10 in stock at Hattons, 4 at Kernow

Interesting that Green Nyp and Green Syp appear to be by far the most popular!

Edited by miles73128

Blue 71009 arrived this morning, and I have to say I'm very impressed. It's running in on DC now and needs to be chipped at some point. Having seen the Hornby 71 "in the flesh", I took the plunge and bought the DJM model with only photos and reviews to go on. I do think Dave's nailed it. The Class 74 is a must-have now.

• Like 1

Blue 71009 arrived this morning, and I have to say I'm very impressed. It's running in on DC now and needs to be chipped at some point. Having seen the Hornby 71 "in the flesh", I took the plunge and bought the DJM model with only photos and reviews to go on. I do think Dave's nailed it. The Class 74 is a must-have now.

Don't forget, DCKits / Legomanbiffo offers £10.00 off, IF you post the Instructions of your 71 for a ESU Sound Decoder. These will be returned with the order.

• RMweb Premium

Further detailing of E5010 has included inking the door and grille frames, plus the louvres, for added depth and tidying up some areas. The finger print on the front end in an earlier shot has been brushed out. The checkerplate panels below the cab doors have been weathered to resemble how they usually appeared in traffic. For a quite small area I consider the improvement that gives to overall appearance to have been more than worth the tricky pocess of getting it looking right.

post-3305-0-03817900-1509201502_thumb.jpg

post-3305-0-38443100-1509201527_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Having a bit of an odd issue with my 71.

If you check this video out at 0:25 in you will see what I mean.

Look at the front bogie, it's clearly off on the leading wheel set.

She does this as random locations and at differing speeds.

I can't find anything that is causing it, she does seem rather light over the leading wheels.

Anyone know how to fix this please? 

• Like 1

mikesndbs

I posted about this back in August but had no response so so assumed it was just me.  Its strange how it the bogie wants to go straight on and lift of the track.

I had no trouble at all when first purchased and it only started a short while after. as my track isn't ballasted yet I even tried relaying the track with some success,

but the dam thing even derails on large radius Peco code 75 points. I've had no trouble with any of my Loco's wagons or coaches or even my Green 71 so am completely stumped to why its

started doing it.

a not much help Trailrage

I experienced the same back in May. Please see posts #1858 and #1860. In my case, my layout has 2 features it does not like:

1/ It is a 10+ year old layout (though still not finished!! Isn't that always the case?). It is a modular design, the boards have sagged a little (maybe as much as 2mm between the outer edges and middle on some boards). It is a bit roller coaster like.

2/ The curves are super elevated. The transition between straight to elevated is probably too sharp for this model.

Another factor - which can cause people to ask "why is it happening now? it was fine before" is that we are heading into winter. Meaning either the rail room is too cold and rails have contracted (the fine wheel profiles will not like big gaps between rails) OR the central heating has kicked in making the rail room warmer than normal causing rails to expand and peak a little. I added thermostats to each radiator to keep my room at 15 degrees as 20 to 22 was giving me headaches here. So the room varies between 10 to 15 degrees.

That and the design of the 71(limited down play on the bogies plus fine wheel profiles) cause the leading wheels to lift off when track work is less than perfect.

Now the 71 is more sensitive here than other locos, but I have found that it is providing the first signs that there is a problem on the layout. Since as the layout deteriorates further, the next sensitive locos started coming off at the same spots a few months later or - in the case of Adams Radials - the limited up play on the bogies caused the locos to loose traction as they climbed out the dips (I see there is one board where all 3 circuits need track reworked - the rest are OK).