OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Really? links were all dry and a small wire catching one of the sockets on the links, simple maintenance surely?

Sorry Mike,

I did put a smiley after my words but good old apple safari removed the emoticon and left nothing there. Semi colon, hyphen, close bracket from now on and fixed in my post.

And don't call me Shirley:-)))

Apologies.

Dave

• Like 1

Sorry Mike,

I did put a smiley after my words but good old apple safari removed the emoticon and left nothing there. Semi colon, hyphen, close bracket from now on and fixed in my post.

And don't call me Shirley:-)))

Apologies.

Dave

LOL no bother mate :) my fault as well I still had my close up lenses on when I read the message so missed it.

Seriously Shirley, what an amazing little motor it must be! imagine what could have been done early on when my dad was scratch building etc! Remarkable. 

• Like 1

The thing is Mike, look how many doors this motor now opens to modellers, and manufacturers.

Can you imagine, providing the weight isn't too great how much the 92 in N and OO will haul and what great room I have or speakers in both gauges now?

I'm toying with another couple of ideas using the motor but nothing to get excited about yet.

I remember when I asked the designer of the motor what the life expectancy was, and although he might have been B.S.'sing me he said about 25 minutes. I asked him how he hoped to ever sell them to the model railway market as a model would have to last years. And he said no problem, that's 25 minutes at 20,000 rpm (it might have been higher that than).

As it is I've had 2 go pop in close to 20,000 locomotives, and that was due to feedback controller and electric track cleaner use.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

The thing is Mike, look how many doors this motor now opens to modellers, and manufacturers.

Can you imagine, providing the weight isn't too great how much the 92 in N and OO will haul and what great room I have or speakers in both gauges now?

I'm toying with another couple of ideas using the motor but nothing to get excited about yet.

I remember when I asked the designer of the motor what the life expectancy was, and although he might have been B.S.'sing me he said about 25 minutes. I asked him how he hoped to ever sell them to the model railway market as a model would have to last years. And he said no problem, that's 25 minutes at 20,000 rpm (it might have been higher that than).

As it is I've had 2 go pop in close to 20,000 locomotives, and that was due to feedback controller and electric track cleaner use.

Cheers

Dave

WOW, possibilities are endless! Clearly we are entering a new world of locomotion! I knew motors like this were around for medical applications etc. 

Maybe just the extreme close up on the videos but the wraparound front handrails look a bit skew at the front on the green model and globs of glue on the blue at the sides.

• Like 1

I had the email Friday to say that mine was on its way but it's Tuesday now so I assume it's been posted with Hermes. 

No worries though, after all this wait, I need to renumber it, scrape off the rain strips and repaint it before it goes into a case. But then the certificate is invalid and the model devalued. 

However, I'll most likely sell it on the Bay of E and then wait even longer for a non limited version (hopefully with the correct number) if there is even another run at all. I'll most likely get a Hornby one though to repaint and renumber. 

I stayed with the DJM model so that the 71 and 74 would be of the same general outline, but if the DJM 74 isn't forthcoming, I'll hack a Hornby 71 into a 74 instead.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers

Dave

A 4mm model of the Fell loco with the correct number of engines? Edited by Ryde-on-time
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Well, not quite like that, but nearly :-)

I was thinking more motors that exist entirely within the bogie, not interfering with the body space. I know Black Beetles and spuds exist, but they are not used on mainstream releases.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Well, not quite like that, but nearly :-)

I was thinking more motors that exist entirely within the bogie, not interfering with the body space. I know Black Beetles and spuds exist, but they are not used on mainstream releases.

Roy

I know, but the devil got the better of me :devil:

Bogie retaining brackets.

I am trying to decide what to do about these.

I just fitted one as a test, in order for the loco to negotiate my curves and points it needs to sit out as far as shown.

Not sure this looks very good.

Any ideas other than leave them off?

Thanks

post-1423-0-00707000-1494961492_thumb.jpg

Here is how they should look (Dave's photos)

post-1423-0-41790600-1494962358_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikesndbs
  • Like 2

Bogie retaining brackets.

I am trying to decide what to do about these.

I just fitted one as a test, in order for the loco to negotiate my curves and points it needs to sit out as far as shown.

Not sure this looks very good.

Any ideas other than leave them off?

Thanks

attachicon.gifIMG_4765.JPG

Here is how they should look (Dave's photos)

attachicon.gifears.jpg

Hello  mikesndbs what radius curves and points do you use?

Cheers Trailrage

OK, I am out of here for this evening.

Just have to say Dave, you have created a little miracle, I love it and just before E5004 heads of for the night mail train to the coast I thought I should say so.

post-1423-0-79871200-1494964439_thumb.jpg

post-1423-0-11757400-1494964454_thumb.jpg

• Like 3