OO Gauge class 71 Electric Locomotive

DJM Dave

Am I right in thinking that on mainline runs in preservation some sort of yellow painted board was carried on the front?

On some yes, probably due to the later high intensity headlight required but there's lots of video of it running with its normal yellow warning panel.

Having read the SEG review I cannot see what the fuss is about. Any review carries a certain amount of subjectivity but this one is objective as far as it goes. There is not an in depth review of the detail but it does concentrate rather heavily of the haulage of each loco. Now I have to confess to knowing nothing about these locos but do find it a tempting model to buy. However threads do tend to wander a bit and much has been made in the review of the top speed of the model, I wish someone would enlighten me to what the top speed of the prototype was and how this is achievable using legomans sound chip?

I will be supporting the DJM model for a number of reasons not least of which is Dave's willingness to produce the best model he can and for the most part succeeding, that is not to say the Hornby model is not good or worth buying, its a case of you pay for what you like best and of course can afford.

I agree and it state at the start of the review that was not a comprehensive one with photoes yet. Which to me means rushed. The writer did seem to know the class which helps with being objective.

However in the same website, I could not find any review of the Hornby 71 nor Dapol 73, maybe they are there and my ipad hide them from me...

If - of course - this is to be a clash of the giants class 71 review then hopefully a more comprehensive will use an apt title and get right into the detail.

I did find, for a rush job, many positive detailed aspects such as the side window, whereby Hornby show the booster which should be below window level (that means the writer knows the class or got this fact wrong) saying the blackened DJM window was more in line with photos as you could not see much in reality. He states how easy DCC and sound conversion is with DJM but nothing about how hard Hornby is in this area. However he did highlight some strong points on Hornby's (greater weight, more powerful model). Still good review for rushed job. Again more comprehensive will hopefully bring more to light.

One odd area at the start I found was talk of packaging which was a style of "be careful un-clipping it. The model might leap with fright and send bits flying away...".

Personally I found, the ice cube part is no different that used on a Heljan class 33 (and I feel, with those side clips, better than Hornby). Overall the same as Dapol 73.

To be honest all four makes on all 3 classes give us packaging that get us the model in piece (in my personal experience). So no complaints for me really. I therefore do not personally follow the reviewers view here and would like to know what he considers as best packaging. If the comment was made for the Hornby Merchant Navy, I would understand as that has bits of stiff sponge between the cab and tender roofs making reboxing of the item fun!

If it is just to say "be careful", well that is true for all makes and is good advice. After all,  we are removing a detailed fragile model, not opening a packet of crisps!

One comment not yet made (here or otherwise) is that DJM leaves space in the package so that you can put it away once the collector shoes are glued on! (this for is important because the loco will not spend its entire life outside the box, especially if I take her to shows).

Anyway, we have certainly come along way polystyrene in trays and tissue paper.

• Like 2

The postman delivered my HA this morning. I am absolutely delighted with it. I have never before seen such finesse in the mouldings and the general finish, and things like the cab interiors and the much-criticised pantograph are works of art, as are numerous other aspects. Incidentally, it clearly states in DJ's instructions that the pantograph is non-working, which to me, at least, means 'don't fiddle with it because it is so fine it might break'. Those who do have only themselves to blame. Did I raise it just to have a look at the effect? Of course I did - it's wonderful - but I did it very gently. And it didn't break. And it is fit for purpose (sorry, been here before …!)

Not run in yet, of course, but slow running out of the box was good - who cares about maximum speed?  It will look great trundling down my bit of the LSWR main line pulling a set of green Mk1s and/or CIWL sleeping cars. (Ahem… I know, I know... but Rule 1 rules, OK!)

Very many thanks again, Dave, for this project and the business courage it took to set it in motion.

Mike

...much has been made in the review of the top speed of the model, I wish someone would enlighten me to what the top speed of the prototype was and how this is achievable using legomans sound chip?

According to Diesel and Electric Locomotives of the Southern Region (Ian Allan): "Despite their official maximum speed of 90mph, the E5000s were quite capable of obtaining the magic 'ton', and indeed there is an unconfirmed story that one member of the class reached 110mph near Three Bridges whilst working a van train on the superbly graded Brighton main line.  If true, this would put the class in the top rank of British locomotives".

David

• RMweb Gold

Further to my post 1978 above, I've removed one motor bogie keeper plate to reveal the driven gear and axle arrangements. I have to say that its removal was very easy, unlike many that l've managed to break/damage in the past.

What it revealed was really good news for P4ers and EMers due the well thought out space between the insides of the frames, thus saving the usual filing away of said inside faces which often can be problematical.

The snaps should show it all.

post-6728-0-41261300-1495805135.jpg

post-6728-0-45901700-1495805158.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

Further to my post 1978 above, I've removed one motor bogie keeper plate to reveal the driven gear and axle arrangements. I have to say that its removal was very easy, unlike many that l've managed to break/damage in the past.

What it revealed was really good news for P4ers and EMers due the well thought out space between the insides of the frames, thus saving the usual filing away of said inside faces which often can be problematical.

The snaps should show it all.

attachicon.gif011.jpg

attachicon.gif013.jpg

Hi mate,

I can't take too much credit for the bogies making conversion easier. I merely did the bogie frames, like on the upcoming 92, the correct width for the loco. Simples :-)

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

So can we expect to see your P4 E5000 dashing over Balcombe viaduct at 110mph on a van train?

David

That's the plan David! It will be prime power for 'later period' Newhaven boat trains and fast parcels could well feature.!

Edit: There was/is an 80mph limit so driving even at that speed will be quite fun!

20003 or an H2 will feature on the earlier B & C livery period boats.

Hi mate,

I can't take too much credit for the bogies making conversion easier. I merely did the bogie frames, like on the upcoming 92, the correct width for the loco. Simples :-)

That's good news re the 92. Good to have correct bogie frame measurements used which should be an object lesson to the others for the future...though l doubt it will...anyway well done and thank you. :sungum:

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Resistance is futile, I made the mistake of looking at how many Kernow had in stock which were not pre-ordered. 

Edited by 7013
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Resistance is futile, I made the mistake of looking at how many Kernow had in stock which were not pre-ordered.

......And there were certain consequences no doubt. My FYE E5010 arrived yesterday....,,but Kernow's own weathered versions look to be good value too ...all things considered .Isn't it nice to have something different ?

• RMweb Premium

I've had 2 of these superb models delivered in the last couple of days, 71009 and then, having been swayed by the pictures of weathered 71008, that one as well and would like to fit crew in the cab.

The instructions say to remove the wires and 2 screws, which I have done, but the cab won't move.

I'm loathe to apply too much pressure in case I damage/break something.

Has anyone else fitted crew or removed the cabs and have some tips?

Also, I'd bought 21 pin decoders for them but have discovered they need 5 functions to work all the lights and these only have 4, does anyone have any recommendations for a non-sound decoder?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards

Gary

Hi everyone,

Due to cancellations from crowdfunders up to the release of the 71, there are still some of numbers 001-005 available.

In fact 001 and 002 are extremely close to being out of stock 5 and 6 left respectively.

The other 3 models are in double figures but not by that much.

Cheers

Dave

I've had 2 of these superb models delivered in the last couple of days, 71009 and then, having been swayed by the pictures of weathered 71008, that one as well and would like to fit crew in the cab.

The instructions say to remove the wires and 2 screws, which I have done, but the cab won't move.

I'm loathe to apply too much pressure in case I damage/break something.

Has anyone else fitted crew or removed the cabs and have some tips?

Also, I'd bought 21 pin decoders for them but have discovered they need 5 functions to work all the lights and these only have 4, does anyone have any recommendations for a non-sound decoder?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards

Gary

There are four screws.

Right, I expect this will throw the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons as it's also slightly :offtopic: too, but what gets my goat about (so say) reviews these days is that they seem to contain mostly descriptive observations which many can see for themselves. Where have the observations and reference data comparisons gone?

ps I own neither a DJM or Hornby HA

Edited by leopardml2341

OK.

Well my replacemnt 009 arrived yesterday (took a week) having sent my original back for 2 paint defects.

Now I can relax and report that I am delighted with my 71.

It also runs brilliantly.

a big thank you Dave. Hurry up with my 74 please.

Although there have some picture posted on here, there are a few bits that modellers may find helpful in making upi their mind to buy.

Dave

post-509-0-83002600-1495823929_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-44951000-1495823931_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-58879200-1495823932_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-78980800-1495823933_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-62368200-1495823935_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-82437200-1495823936_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-27470400-1495823939_thumb.jpg

post-509-0-00655000-1495823938_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Well mine arrived this morning and after all the excitement and anticipation I am a little disappointed.  There were a few (admittedly minor) problems with the paint work, but given the price I found that surprising. Since I was going to weather the loco on its own that might not have mattered, but with a good quality ESU chip fitted it ran like a pig.  Jerking at low speed and sounding like a tank. I'm hoping it is just a one off but back to Kernow with it. 

Regards

Saveric

• RMweb Gold

Having decided not to go for the crowd funding option, preferring to see the "model in the flesh" so to speak, especially with the Hornby model already out (Andy Ys side by side comparison with the Hornby model was very helpful), I'm torn between ordering the GFYE E5010 or putting my money down for my much preferred option, the class 74.

I only saw 4 class 71s in store at Hither Green in November 1978, but 74s I have much more sightings in my spotting notes. Perplexed - help needed ;)

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

I'm torn between ordering the GFYE E5010 or putting my money down for my much preferred option, the class 74.

Is this a typo? Are you really wondering about buying D5010 (class 24) or did you mean E5010 (class 71)?

• RMweb Premium

Well mine arrived this morning and after all the excitement and anticipation I am a little disappointed.  There were a few (admittedly minor) problems with the paint work, but given the price I found that surprising. Since I was going to weather the loco on its own that might not have mattered, but with a good quality ESU chip fitted it ran like a pig.  Jerking at low speed and sounding like a tank. I'm hoping it is just a one off but back to Kernow with it. 

Regards

Saveric

Have you read the CV advice in posts above??????  How did it run on DC?  You did try it on DC didn't you........

Regards

Saveric

Hi mate,

Have you read earlier in the thread about 'tuning' your decoder to suit coreless motors?

Cheers

Dave