Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

While on holiday in Northumberland a couple of weeks ago, came across this traditional North East brown ale in the local Co-op at Alnwick and Longhoughton and brought several bottles back home. The original Maxim and Double Maxim beers were brewed by Vaux brewery from 1901 to celebrate the safe return of the Northumberland Hussars maxim gun detachment from the Boer War. They were commanded by a member of the Vaux family. Maxim brewery was set up by some ex Vaux staff after the brewery closed and they started with the Double Maxim brew. They now have their own brewery at Houghton-le-Spring and aim to produce previous brews from Vaux and Wards breweries. This one is very warm and delicious.

post-13514-0-25293100-1508157049_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent lunchtime session at the Norwich Beer Festival yesterday - very enjoyable with a Herts Cider Millers Dance, a Davenport Highgate Old, a Hammerton Blank Slate,  a Hoxne Heritage Old Ale, and a Lacons Old Nogg - all half pints I hasten to add though I am pleased I had a lift home. now shall I return tomorrow????? Glug, glug, glug, glug.....................................

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Delivered some wine last night to the new micropub in Queen's Road, Westbourne.

Pleased to find that they have a session bitter at just 2.8%. Can't remember the last time that I drank a beer that was that low in alcohol!

Really pleasant and full flavoured light bitter: Half Mast from Siren Brewery in Finchampstead.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I went to the Angus Brewfest in Forfar last weekend.  It was absolutel heaving, with plenty of drink stalls selling locally produced beers, gin, vodka and, in one case, rum.  It was a tenner to get in (and it was sold out a long time ago) and the beer prices were, to my mind, extortionate, with several vendors charging their captive audience £5 a pint, others £4.  I tended to concentrate on the latter although the beer i enjoyed most all evening was probably "Day Shift", an American Pale Ale from Fierce Brewery in Aberdeen.  It must have been good because it was one of the ones at a fiver and i had a pint and a half of it.  Close second was Redcastle Brewery's Nobleman which was a more reasonable £4.

On getting home afterwards I felt rather unwell, the first time that's happened to me for a long time!

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Like 1

Stopped over to see No 2 Son in Leamington on Friday. Tried a pint of Purity Brewing Co’s Pure Gold, very pleasing!

I’m quite a fan of these “golden ales” that are appearing lately. I was never a lager fan, I occasionally drink Becks or Nastro Azzuro but it isn’t really my thing. Golden ales seem more like a proper beer.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent lunchtime session at the Norwich Beer Festival yesterday - very enjoyable with a Herts Cider Millers Dance, a Davenport Highgate Old, a Hammerton Blank Slate,  a Hoxne Heritage Old Ale, and a Lacons Old Nogg - all half pints I hasten to add though I am pleased I had a lift home. now shall I return tomorrow????? Glug, glug, glug, glug.....................................

Ah yes, in St Andrew's Hall.  I was heading for Elm Street just as the queue was being admitted, and after SWMBO's big spend in the teddy shop, I would have easily spent less at the beerfest.

• Like 2

".......Ah yes, in St Andrew's Hall.  I was heading for Elm Street just as the queue was being admitted, and after SWMBO's big spend in the teddy shop, I would have easily spent less at the beerfest....."  Had you spent your share in the beerfest there would be a good chance you would not have worried about SWMBO spend in the teddy bear shop in Elm Hill - which is, of course, a place where Monty Pyton filmed some sketches.

• Like 1

Well yesterday comprised of Coastal Brewerys Hop Monster (3.7%), and Golden Hind (4.3%), with a couple of Fownes Elephant Riders (4%) in between. Friday involved some Thornbridge Jaipur (5.9%).

My local has just been named in the top 4 pubs in the country by CAMRA!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tonight my entry to currently drinking is a cautionary tale.

Having many times enjoyed Staropramen as an inexpensive, proper imported pilsner from the Czech republic, i opened a bottle tonight and it's ruined.

Its been bought up by a brand acquisition company in Burton on trent and is now "brewed in the EU"

As a result it is nothing like a pilsner, and is horrible. It has a tangy aftertaste and the mass produced lager tang.

Avoid

I used to like Sapporo, a Japanese lager in an unusual shaped silver can. We bought it at the Chinese supermarket in Manchester. I don't buy it anymore as it is now brewed in the UK and tastes like any old lager - still expensive though. There are many such beers & lagers, just the same old shyte in a fancy can / bottle. Look carefully at the label !!

Supping now a can of John Smith's, to be followed by a Guinness or two.

Guinness in cans - still a decent drink BUT (and it might be me) it's just not the same as it was years ago. Then again, is anything ??

Cheers !!

Brit15

On a recent trip which included a visit to Bratislava our guide pointed at what she called "Beer street" guess where I went after the tour :angel:

Looking for local brews I went into a lovely drinking den, the list

post-13586-0-24477700-1510676672_thumb.jpg

and selected Steiger @ 11%

post-13586-0-30757600-1510676809_thumb.jpg

A lovely beer with a good depth of flavour, ok it's in the wrong glass but the Urpiner is also very good, a conventional lager style and the other half rated the cider very highly so I was allowed time to enjoy myself!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Having many times enjoyed Staropramen as an inexpensive, proper imported pilsner from the Czech republic, i opened a bottle tonight and it's ruined.

Its been bought up by a brand acquisition company in Burton on trent and is now "brewed in the EU"

As a result it is nothing like a pilsner, and is horrible. It has a tangy aftertaste and the mass produced lager tang.

Avoid

Very sad. Yet another fine brand exploited (and wrecked).

I am old enough to remember proper Danish Tuborg. So this massacring of beer flavours has been going on for a long time. Consumers should be protected from these rip-offs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Guinness in cans - still a decent drink BUT (and it might be me) it's just not the same as it was years ago. Then again, is anything ??

Cheers !!

Brit15

Agreed. Guinness in cans used to be more like the draught. Now it's a bit sweeter, more like the bottled. I think they are reacting to the likes of Murphy's.

And as for that newish lower-strength canned Guinness - YUK!

Had a bottle of American Shipyard IPA on Sunday,  not a bad dram,    got some Coniston Brewing Co  Bluebird Bitter i might have later in the week and a bottle of Spitfire Gold  which I rather enjoy, 

Tempted to buy a bottle of Old Putney Whiskey one week  £30 a bottle is a bit steep for me  but at the rate i drink it  it may last a month or two

Mark

• Like 1

Avoid

Prompted by this post I dug my memento out given to me by the steward at the club back in the days when it was well worth drinking

post-13586-0-20698700-1510836618_thumb.jpg