The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Fullers Past Masters, Old London Ale

post-7153-0-14711200-1518115144_thumb.jpg

One recreated from Fullers' brewing log, 1905. From the notes on the bottle, a strong Burton style ale, which was popular at the time, especially in the colder months. I can see why - this perfectly matches the perishing weather at the moment: full, rich and malty, with some bitterness, but not excessively so, and plenty of alcoholic backbone. This is my kind of beer when the weather is depressing and wintry, and suited to my preference to one good strong pint rather than several weaker ones. Very enjoyable; a pre-grouping period ale to accompany some pre-grouping era research! That's what I call immersion in your subject. Cheers. Glad I bought a few of these!

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

After Christmas I tend to be a bit hard up.  So there I was in the supermarket wondering whether I should really spend geting on for £2 on a bottle of beer when I noticed Banks's Amber Bitter at 80p for 500ml.  I realised I could buy two of these for the price of a 330cl bottle of a trendier ale, but would it be drinkable?  I bought two.  In fact, not at all bad.  OK, no great complexity or fashionable citrus or other trendy flavours, just fuggles and goldings hops and malt, really a pretty basic English 3.8 abv session bitter and none the worse for that.  As I was thinking about it I suddenly noticed that my glass had become empty so I had to drink the other one as well.  It's not up there with the best beers, but it's pefectly drinkable and at the price something of a bargain.

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Like 2

Belheather scottish ale with a shot of whiskey. The reviews for this are middling but I think it is fantastic. I am not a fan of neat scotch but somehow the dark smokiness of the scotch balances the malt of the ale perfectly.

5 stars!  :good:

beer_456851.jpg

• Like 3

At my local 'spoons @ 5% not what I would generally class as a session ale but very quaffable, only had 3 as I was going out in the evening!

post-13586-0-01850300-1519910486_thumb.jpg

sorry about picture quality but taken with my phone (free with a £5 a month package, who you calling a cheapskate?)

• Like 1

Two year old imitation Chateauneuf du Pape made from a Beaverdale kit.  30 bottles of a very pleasant full-bodied red for £48 plus maybe £2-worth of water for all the cleaning/sterilising/rinsing of the winemaking tackle.  Call it £1.70 a bottle :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No football tonight as my body seems to propose retirement -having a game Sunday and Tuesday have taken their toll!

A visit to Morrisons on the site of the former North road locomotive works provided this Suffolk Gold Ale from St Peters brewery- 4.9%. Just the ticket to recuperate!

post-7305-0-42774700-1521755199_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Costa-del-Darlo basking in a heatwave today and by the 8.30pm kick off the temperature was still fairly high! Home and a shower bring a Timothy Taylor beer -Ram Tam 4.1%, maybe a bit on the dark side for a warm evenings wind down but very nice all the same!

post-7305-0-52317100-1524179508_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

post-33456-0-69830200-1524212791_thumb.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                    Given the weather I'd love be at The Railway Inn, Sandford.................Old Rascal on tap.......... :sungum:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif20170916_143555.jpg                                                                                                                                                                                    Given the weather I'd love be at The Railway Inn, Sandford.................Old Rascal on tap.......... :sungum:

A bit early for me.