The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Currently Drinking...

Indomitable026

Had a nice little drink on Wednesday along with 9 mates one of our 1/4ly "Cultural Tours" Bus and train of course! off to Wareham, Kings Arms, The Red Lion, Con Club, Horse & Groom (was a grot pub but now run by Father & son, 6 real ales, Proper Job for me!) round to The Quay, The Duke of Wellington and back to the Kings Arms. Good beer all the way round, all those watering holes recommended!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a trip to Devon for a run on the Dartmouth Steam Railway & the South Devon. Of course I had to try some local brews, all nice. Did the rail & river and tried this on the boat as a morning refresher from Red Rock Teignmouth.

post-13586-0-00674400-1525445298_thumb.jpg

Then in Dartmouth @ "The Crab & Bucket"

post-13586-0-91708800-1525445488_thumb.jpg

on to Kingswear "The Steam Packet"

post-13586-0-03272600-1525445636_thumb.jpg

Train back to Paignton & bus to Torquay where by the harbour & also available in bottles at our digs.

post-13586-0-82416700-1525445734_thumb.jpg

Following day of to Buckfastleigh (Driving this time so no Beer)

However dry as an an old wash leather I made a stop @ Fenny Bridges "The Greyhound" where we used to stop with my father in law on our way back from sailing trips.

post-13586-0-85759900-1525446038_thumb.jpg

I tried the Hanlons and then back to Dorset, all tasty beers that I had not tried before.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A couple of pints of Goose Island IPA last night at the Octagon Theatre in Yeovil, one with meal before show and one during the interval.

I like the flavour but I am still not good with keg beers. No way I could get through the whole pint in the interval. Staff kindly gave me a plastic glass so that I could finish it in the auditorium.

(I don't suppose that there are many Wham / George Michael fans here. No me neither. But it was a great show.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just back from a couple of days in Copenhagen. Real beer drinking weather although you don't want to get too thirsty there at their bar prices.

Various nice beers. Tuborg and Carlsberg with flavour, unlike the **** they sell here under those names although the Tuborg Classic did not have quite the flavour that I remember from my youth. And quite a few craft breweries. Some nice beers in the IPA style but isn't it strange that the more craft breweries we have, the more we are seeing the identical citrussy style at all of them. Even get BrewDog Punk on Easyjet now.

Just outside the main station (west side exit by the Police station), there is a bar with railwayana and a showcase of Danish railway models and its own craft beers. 70kr, about £8, for 500cl.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Various nice beers. Tuborg and Carlsberg with flavour, unlike the **** they sell here under those names

Which is so often the case.  Far too frequently I've found that a beer I've enjoyed on the continent is but a pale shadow of itself in the UK.  The I've looked on the can and see that the stuff on sale here is brewed under licence in the UK.  What is it that we do with them?  I suppose that having had the misfortune to have sampled various UK lagers I shouldn't really be too surprised.  Now when I buy lager (which I sometimes do in summer) I make sure that I get stuff that has actually been brewed abroad in its country of origin.

DT

• RMweb Gold

Which is so often the case.  Far too frequently I've found that a beer I've enjoyed on the continent is but a pale shadow of itself in the UK.  The I've looked on the can and see that the stuff on sale here is brewed under licence in the UK.  What is it that we do with them?  I suppose that having had the misfortune to have sampled various UK lagers I shouldn't really be too surprised.  Now when I buy lager (which I sometimes do in summer) I make sure that I get stuff that has actually been brewed abroad in its country of origin.

DT

Latest victim is Staropramen. But there are still other Czech lagers available easily that are brewed there. The Co-op's own brand is quite good.

• 4 weeks later...

Had a "Cultural Tour" in Fareham Hants yesterday and amongst other fine beers tried these

post-13586-0-62629300-1529597841.jpg

post-13586-0-26660200-1529597273.jpg

and this

post-13586-0-79707000-1529597240.png

which was served straight out of the barrel at the Delme Arms, highly recommended and if you'll excuse the terrible picture one of 5 beers available, with another settling.

post-13586-0-39139800-1529597505_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 2

Ashamed to admit to drinking Guiness 'Hophouse 13' but only because the 'spoons in my current location haven't got an effin clue how to keep real ale.

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Premium

Latest victim is Staropramen. But there are still other Czech lagers available easily that are brewed there. The Co-op's own brand is quite good.

Yes, but as it is brewed by Staropramen, will it reamain Czeck brewed, I wonder

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO made a rare visit to LIDL last week and found a very strange wine; New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc that was pink. £7 a bottle, so quite pricey by LIDL standards but a really nice drink. Just not wine as we know it, with a very strong grapefruit nose and taste.

• Like 1

Had a "Cultural Tour" in Fareham Hants yesterday and amongst other fine beers tried these

attachicon.gifOld-Legover-NEW1.jpg

attachicon.gifPunter-v21.jpg

and this

attachicon.gifDynamo1.png

which was served straight out of the barrel at the Delme Arms, highly recommended and if you'll excuse the terrible picture one of 5 beers available, with another settling.

attachicon.gifIMGP3540.JPG

Cheers!

Daleside! Never had a bad tipple from this fine Yorkshire brewery yet!

Looks like Doombar on the right? Hopefully direct from the Rock brewery and not Marstons!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Currently drinking?  During the day, almost anything that's cold and calls itself beer.

But the one that took my fancy today was a Belgian tipple, Tripel Le Fort.  Now I'm not a great fan of very strong beers, but I only had the one 33cl bottle of Le Fort so it didn't matter too much that it's a possibly mind numbing 8.8%.  It actually didn't taste too much like a very strong beer and was very nice indeed, good body, and a really good flavour, a lttle sweet, quite fruity.  Yum yum.

post-6160-0-78258800-1530307494.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It's still hot here, so it got to be a pale ale or reasonably decent lager from the fridge.  Harviestoun Brewer's "The Ridge" is advertised as a Scottish/American IPA, with the ridge being where the tectonic plates meet in the Altlantic between Scotland and the USA.  Serve at 8°C, suggests the bottle, and that's exactly its temperature when it comes out of the fridge, much colder than I would normally drink an IPA. It's OK. The brew combines Britsh and American hops and I'm meant to taste hops, herbs and citrus, but the over-riding flavour is probably bitter, though not unpleasantly so - I suspect that the chilling has killed off much other flavour.  It was suitably refreshing, however, and all in all a perfectly decent summer beer. I'd be interested in trying it again when it's not quite so chilled.

post-6160-0-02527900-1530467967.png

Edited by Torper
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stop posting pictures of beer. I am jealous!

The hospital quack has put me on a three month course of tablets. Under instructions, NO alcohol!

There are a number of so-called alcohol free beers on the market at the moment, some of them not at all bad, but many of them actually contain some alcohol, usually 0.5% which may well still be more than the hospital quack wants you to have.  However, during the recent hot weather I've had a couple of bottles of Warsteiner Fresh, which is brewed in Germany and contains no alcohol at all.  It's obviously a lager, but I found it very drinkable, particularly during the current hot weather.  Our Tesco currently has it on offer, £2.50 for a pack of four 33cl bottles.

DT