Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

I actually don't mind the 68. Hmm maybe I should book a doctors appointment.

And at Specsavers at the same time, ahhahha

I actually do like it, :O  far to new for any of my Layouts but as I said, with Dapol having the RIGHTS to produce it, it could be many years, they announced the O Gauge 08 Four Years ago and its still nowhere near the shelves.

• Like 2

Morning all, the Magnets I ordered yesterday arrived this morning and so after coffee I will go outside into the Shed and have a play around with them on a spare bit of track. I will post up some pics of the results later I hope.

Note, they were vey difficult to photograph. = 3mm x 2mm.

post-9335-0-87530200-1421322184_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The ones I used on my latest magnetic couplers in N were 2mmx1mm!

I've been outside for about an Hour and so far these are proving to be a MARE,

I try again after lunch.

Edited by Andrew P

Well the Magnets are proving very troublesome, on a strait pull they will tip a wagon over from about an inch away onto the Kadee bar. But they don't seem to like a sideways pull, I can see how they worked so well on Derek's Layout with Jackson / Spratt and Winkle type couplings and a strait pull down to a bar. When there is one or two then it wont work, however I have tried stacking three together, and that works in the form of separation, but then the wagon left behind over the Magnet just tips up after the other has departed.

However I have come up with another cunning plan, when I was in the Motor Trade we had Name badges, basically a plastic badge with a metal bar stuck on the back, there was then another bar with two Magnets on of about 9mm diameter, and these are very powerful, and I have quite a few, in fact more than enough for Bitton. 

I have been messing about with them for the last hour, and I think with a little more trial and LOT more error I can make that work.

I do however have a THIRD contingency plan, and that is, I have two proper large square Kadee Magnets but they are about 6mm thick and the foam is only 3mm so it would mean machining out a 50mm x 50mm square in the Plywood 3mm deep to drop them into. OR I can cut a 50 x 50 hole in the ply and then make a 3mm packer and fit them that way.

It will be sorted, I also have Option 4, and that is the 3 Link, I have about 8 packets I bought before the move, now if any of you out there in Webber Land have any idea what I've done with them please let me know.

Have you seen the photos of John's Hintock Quay today?

If Trebudoc Quay comes anywhere near that Andy you will can no longer claim to be Mr Bodgit. :no:

I'll pop over and have a butchers mate, Cheers Mick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy

What happens if you fasten to of the micro magnets under the metal bar from the back of the badges? Does that magnetise the bar sufficiently to uncouple the Kadees but not too much to cause the wagons to tip? You may have to play around with the spacing of the magnets under the bar.

Its only a suggestion, its not something I've tried.

Edited by Ray H
  • Like 1

Morning all, the Magnets I ordered yesterday arrived this morning and so after coffee I will go outside into the Shed and have a play around with them on a spare bit of track. I will post up some pics of the results later I hope.

Note, they were vey difficult to photograph. = 3mm x 2mm.

attachicon.gif20 Magnets 001.JPG

I'd get to the doctor if I were you, Andy.  Your skin doesn't look too good.  Perhaps you've been overdoing it…….

Andy

What happens if you fasten to of the micro magnets under the metal bar from the back of the badges? Does that magnetise the bar sufficiently to uncouple the Kadees but not too much to cause the wagons to tip? You may have to play around with the spacing of the magnets under the bar.

Andy

Thanks Ray, I've just nipped out to try that but its not having any of it, I'll try again tomorrow, Off to Club now.

Cheers for he idea anyway.

• RMweb Premium

Mr Peters 

May I make a couple of suggestions regarding the coupling and uncoupling of your train set  engines, carriages and trucks.  :rtfm:

How about an anchor chain three link coupling each end of your trucks etc. A steady hand and good eyesight are needed, that is why I don't used them :no:  :no:

Or those nice big things that the trains come with, tension locks I think they are called. I use them.  :boast:

• Like 1

Well the Magnets are proving very troublesome, on a strait pull they will tip a wagon over from about an inch away onto the Kadee bar. But they don't seem to like a sideways pull, I can see how they worked so well on Derek's Layout with Jackson / Spratt and Winkle type couplings and a strait pull down to a bar. When there is one or two then it wont work, however I have tried stacking three together, and that works in the form of separation, but then the wagon left behind over the Magnet just tips up after the other has departed.

Andy - can explain 'tip a wagon over'? do you mean de-rail or pull the trip-pin down and lift the back two wheels off the track (hard to imagine), or something else?

I think we discussed this in an earlier page, if you still have steel axles these will be attracted to the magnets and tend to centre an axle over the magnet but this will hold it on the track not tip it off.

I have trouble with standard Bachmann HO E-Z Mate (knuckle) couplers over Bachmann magnets - unless both vehicles are on straight track and the magnet is exactly laterally centred, the trip-pins tend to both go the same way.

Once I used three links on a small layout and foolishly exhibited said layout ,after an hour I was going slightly mad and after five hours I was tearing what little hair I had out in handfuls! Never again I said and went home and replaced every coupling with Bachman I did use Kaydee on an HO3 layout and was impressed but three links never ever again I value my sanity. Prototype yes but not with pudgy fingers and no patience there are the invention of the devil (get behind me satan!!!!!!)

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

As the Kaydee couplings pull to the side could you not try a magnet either side of the rail? Just a thought.

I 've used the set-in type on Dent and they seem to function reasonably well. I set them in under the cork using a router AND NOT the type that get's an internet connection before you start! Perhaps Lee may have one? Best getting it done now before too much track is laid.

I am the first to admit to being a builder not an operator - P4 for 25 years, scale couplings but no experience of operating them.  Yes, I have a 9' P4 GWR terminus that looks very nice and all the stock runs well but has never been shunted or played with for any period of time.  Now I have an On30 layout built specifically for operating (grandson in mind) using standard Bachmann RTR stock, knuckle couplings and uncoupling magnets.  It has about an 80% uncoupling success rate.  This is reasonably acceptable as it is not an exhibition layout.  I get used to the 'Kadee shuffle'.  Now my real question for those manual coupling/uncoupling enthusiasts is, is it acceptable to manually push vehicles apart with systems like knuckle couplers without magnets, tension-lock, choppers, etc., or must one hold the couplers open with the hand from the sky and then pull the train back on the controller......?

Just curious.....

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 1

I am the first to admit to being a builder not an operator - P4 for 25 years, scale couplings but no experience of operating them.  Yes, I have a 9' P4 GWR terminus that looks very nice and all the stock runs well but has never been shunted or played with for any period of time.  Now I have an On30 layout built specifically for operating (grandson in mind) using standard Bachmann RTR stock, knuckle couplings and uncoupling magnets.  It has about an 80% uncoupling success rate.  This is reasonably acceptable as it is not an exhibition layout.  I get used to the 'Kadee shuffle'.  Now my real question for those manual coupling/uncoupling enthusiasts is, is it acceptable to manually push vehicles apart with systems like knuckle couplers without magnets, tension-lock, choppers, etc., or must one hold the couplers open with the hand from the sky and then pull the train back on the controller......?

Just curious.....

In my opinion Jeff, if its at home anything goes, if its on exhibition it spoils it especially for photography and filming.

A better coupling might be the dingham...... although electro-magnets are recommened for them...

Andy G

Hi Andy, I like them but to fiddly for me to make plus the amount I would need.

Cheers anyway Mate.

However I have come up with another cunning plan, when I was in the Motor Trade we had Name badges, basically a plastic badge with a metal bar stuck on the back, there was then another bar with two Magnets on of about 9mm diameter, and these are very powerful, and I have quite a few, in fact more than enough for Bitton. 

I have been messing about with them for the last hour, and I think with a little more trial and LOT more error I can make that work.

I do however have a THIRD contingency plan, and that is, I have two proper large square Kadee Magnets but they are about 6mm thick and the foam is only 3mm so it would mean machining out a 50mm x 50mm square in the Plywood 3mm deep to drop them into. OR I can cut a 50 x 50 hole in the ply and then make a 3mm packer and fit them that way.

It will be sorted, I also have Option 4, and that is the 3 Link, I have about 8 packets I bought before the move, now if any of you out there in Webber Land have any idea what I've done with them please let me know.

I'll pop over and have a butchers mate, Cheers Mick.

Hi Andy, I'm afraid to say you bought the wrong magnets.  :O  :O

see here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60560-pwllheli-next-stop/?p=950234

where i pinched the idea from.

and here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1264232

Which is my version.

You need thin rectangular magnets to work effectively, something to do with the lines of magnetic flux (so I'm told) being different from round ones.

Ray.

Edit:

forgot to say i did try the round one as well as i had a couple lying around and got nowhere with them.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

Andy - can explain 'tip a wagon over'? do you mean de-rail or pull the trip-pin down and lift the back two wheels off the track (hard to imagine), or something else?

I think we discussed this in an earlier page, if you still have steel axles these will be attracted to the magnets and tend to centre an axle over the magnet but this will hold it on the track not tip it off.

I have trouble with standard Bachmann HO E-Z Mate (knuckle) couplers over Bachmann magnets - unless both vehicles are on straight track and the magnet is exactly laterally centred, the trip-pins tend to both go the same way.

Yes Jeff the Kadee is pulled down, lifting the other end of the wagon off the ground. The axels don't see to have an issue and aren't being pulled in.

Once I used three links on a small layout and foolishly exhibited said layout ,after an hour I was going slightly mad and after five hours I was tearing what little hair I had out in handfuls! Never again I said and went home and replaced every coupling with Bachman I did use Kaydee on an HO3 layout and was impressed but three links never ever again I value my sanity. Prototype yes but not with pudgy fingers and no patience there are the invention of the devil (get behind me satan!!!!!!)

Hahahaha I had the same with Trebudoc, my O Gauge one at an Exhibition. never again for exhibitions.

Hi Andy,

As the Kaydee couplings pull to the side could you not try a magnet either side of the rail? Just a thought.

I 've used the set-in type on Dent and they seem to function reasonably well. I set them in under the cork using a router AND NOT the type that get's an internet connection before you start! Perhaps Lee may have one? Best getting it done now before too much track is laid.

Hi Mike, I did have a Magnet near each rail to pull the magnets outwards.

Just curious.....

Hi Jeff, with my Glen Roy I had about a 90% success rate at shows with Kadees but that was with the above baseboard magnets as they were an after fit.