Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I ordered on 18/08/2014 and paid the balance over the phone on 08/01/2018. Not had anything in the way of confirmation since...

CoY

I ordered mine on the 16/08/2014 Jon and it came today. If you don't hear by Friday I would ring them again.

Edited by gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I ordered on 18/08/2014 and paid the balance over the phone on 08/01/2018. Not had anything in the way of confirmation since...

CoY

Looking at my records I paid for mine on 18/01/2018 so once you've got yours mine should arrive a few days later. Let's see what happens and see who gets theirs first!! :yes: 

Keith

Just tested my 1364 today, after the stated running in period, I must say I’m disappointed with the level of motor noise. Is this usual or do I have a duff loco? For such a small shunting engine this is very poor, especially compared to my Heljan 1366 class which is a lovely smooth quiet runner, and the DJ 14xx.The detailing is excellent but for me running qualities are just as important.

Edited by timbo2857

• RMweb Gold

Just tested my 1375 today, after the stated running in period, I must say I’m disappointed with the level of motor noise. Is this usual or do I have a duff loco? For such a small shunting engine this is very poor, especially compared to my Heljan 1366 class which is a lovely smooth quiet runner, and the DJ 14xx.The detailing is excellent but for me running qualities are just as important.

If you have not lubricated it then you should do so and then leave for a while before running.You might find then that the noise level improves after some constant running in both directions.If the problem persists then contact Kernow for a way forward on the problem.

If you have not lubricated it then you should do so and then leave for a while before running.You might find then that the noise level improves after some constant running in both directions.If the problem persists then contact Kernow for a way forward on the problem.

Yes I have lubricated the loco and run in as per the enclosed instructions. I have just read the online Model Rail review saying the motor is noisy as one of the negatives of this model. Pity I didn’t spot this before buying this loco!

• RMweb Gold

Just tested my 1364 today, after the stated running in period, I must say I’m disappointed with the level of motor noise. Is this usual or do I have a duff loco? For such a small shunting engine this is very poor, especially compared to my Heljan 1366 class which is a lovely smooth quiet runner, and the DJ 14xx.The detailing is excellent but for me running qualities are just as important.

That's interesting and something I'll give feedback on here after I've testing my two, hopefully tomorrow. :read: 

That's interesting and something I'll give feedback on here after I've testing my two, hopefully tomorrow. :read:

Hi,

To help things along slightly. The coreless motor is silent or as close to as possible.

Any noise comes from the need for bedding in of the gears.

Oil, and run in for longer. It will bed in, although it may be gradual. So gradual in fact that you will probably not realise it immediately.

Try some spots of oil down the back of each wheel onto the axkle too, and please make sure slide bars, con rod pins etc are lubricated as well.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Hi,

To help things along slightly. The coreless motor is silent or as close to as possible.

Any noise comes from the need for bedding in of the gears.

Oil, and run in for longer. It will bed in, although it may be gradual. So gradual in fact that you will probably not realise it immediately.

Try some spots of oil down the back of each wheel onto the axkle too, and please make sure slide bars, con rod pins etc are lubricated as well.

HTH

Cheers

Dave

I have lubricated my loco as per instructions, and run in an hour in each direction, and it is certainly not even close to silent. For a model £120.00 plus it is poor and will be returning to Kernow. A real shame because it’s a great little loco detailing wise. I have a 14xx which is a lovely smooth quiet runner, way ahead of this disappointment.

I have lubricated my loco as per instructions, and run in an hour in each direction, and it is certainly not even close to silent. For a model £120.00 plus it is poor and will be returning to Kernow. A real shame because it’s a great little loco detailing wise. I have a 14xx which is a lovely smooth quiet runner, way ahead of this disappointment.

Conversely, my personal O2 was noisy and didn’t start to quieten until 3-4 hours on the rolling road in each direction. Still not whisper quiet, but an indicator to me that it will quieten more as it beds in.

That’s not to say yours isn’t a ‘wrong un’ by the way.

• RMweb Gold

. Still not whisper quiet, but an indicator to me that it will quieten more as it beds in.

Having just run my two in I would echo those thoughts with the 1361's.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/page-1159&do=findComment&comment=3072044

Edited by gwrrob

Having just run my two in I would echo those thoughts with the 1361's.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/page-1159&do=findComment&comment=3072044

Having run in mine for around 6 hours now the motor noise has improved, I was perhaps a little harsh on my initial assessment. It is a lovely little loco. It seems strange that some models need little or no running in and perform faultlessly on first test, and yet this one has needed such a long time to settle in. It is by no means perfect and behind my Heljan 1366 in terms of motor performance. But I shall not be sending back to Kernow for now...

My weathered one arrived this morning.  

Given a short test run and chipped straight away as it is easier at the club to run in on DCC than analogue as we can have a few locos running in on the same track more easily.

Pic to follow.  It is nice and cute - and filthy.....

Les

Edited by Les1952

I ordered mine on the 16/08/2014 Jon and it came today. If you don't hear by Friday I would ring them again.

If your card details are out of date your order will be put to one side until they have dispatched all the in date ones, then they will start going through the out of date card details in order.

It is much quicker for them to do it that way rather than chase them as they come up delaying everyone behind that order.

These photos will add little to the debate but may be of interest. It is an extremely attractive model which runs really sweetly.  I'm rather glad I splashed out on it [Lord, did I really say that?] even though I cannot remember ordering it!

38900022090_afece9d8cf_k.jpg

26838615848_bed3385dae_k.jpg

38900025950_d5cca090ed_k.jpg

Tony

Edited by Prometheus
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone tried fitting sound to it yet?  The Heljan 1366 is a bit of a nightmare, I hope this one is easier

No but the destructions mention the smokebox being held by magnets that release to put sound inside.

Is the cab completely free of motor? A halfcab conversion would make a nice absorbed loco.

Yes Mikkel. The cab is devoid of motor stuff and is quite detailed. Difficult to photo inside though. I’ll try to post a photo later.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus