Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

I understand that they might now be in stock but a call to Kernow should quickly answer that one.

The Kernow Web site is still showing them as not in stock. I have one on pre-order and have not seen any movement yet.

Didn’t actually get around to calling but a pleasant surprise to find my 1363 arrive in today’s post!

Just gets curiouser and curiouser, as Alice said. My 1364 is still showing just 'Allocated' on my order history. But then it also shows a couple of Hornby hard to get locos, one of which I have and the other on the way, as blank

They are still in China, other than a few that were airfreighted for review, with a couple sent to the first people who ordered them.

.... with a couple sent to the first people who ordered them.

..... and I was one of those - in fact, the first to order.

However, I'd cancelled my order because of 'splashergate' - so someone else now has No.1 !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Am starting to wonder where these have got to. Andy Y had three production samples on 19th September and a few early orders have been dispatched but since then there has been total radio silence from Kernow and nothing in the newsletter again today. I saw a note, I think on the LSWR road van page that said they were being produced by the same factory as made the gate stock but it seems very odd. I'm happy to wait but why the suspense?

I did wonder if with the gate stock payment issue they were being held back but I doubt the factory would be too happy with holding on to them. The other option is Kernow are worried at being swamped and are holding back on announcing their arrival as the Bullied diesels are not far away but again that won't help cash flow as payment will be required.

I have asked Kernow but they are not being very forthcoming.

Thinking out loud, are they holding them for Warley?

Who knows? If you do please let us in on the secret!!!

I asked via Facebook and they are still in China, only a few have got them mostly for reviews via air freight. I would imagine cashflow would be a factor. Once the bullieds or gate stock get sold in volume i’m sure we’ll see movement.

:nono: 

Guest chris.trebble

Just read the Model Rail review. What a shame - recessed number plates just like Hattons 14xx and a reason not to buy. It's a great pity DJM ignored the adverse comments regarding this 'feature' on the 14xx. Please, please never again!

Just read the Model Rail review. What a shame - recessed number plates just like Hattons 14xx and a reason not to buy. It's a great pity DJM ignored the adverse comments regarding this 'feature' on the 14xx. Please, please never again!

It's a method of ensuring that etched plates are fitted accurately. Unless the manufacturer reverts to the old printed plates, I'm not sure how else you can ensure the plates are straight. If you don't like it, it's an easy fix, as you just glue etched plates over the top. That's what I've done on my 14XXs. (CJL)

• Like 1

Guest chris.trebble

It's a method of ensuring that etched plates are fitted accurately. Unless the manufacturer reverts to the old printed plates, I'm not sure how else you can ensure the plates are straight. If you don't like it, it's an easy fix, as you just glue etched plates over the top. That's what I've done on my 14XXs. (CJL)

Then why not make the plates deep enough so that they fill the recess and stand proud?

• RMweb Gold

Then why not make the plates deep enough so that they fill the recess and stand proud?

1. They do stand proud (just) - probably by almost the right amount considering the thickness of the real thing (haven't got time to go and measure mine but they aren't all that thick at 4mm:1ft scale)

2. The locating hole is slightly larger than the plate (for whatever reason?, see below) so a lot depends on how well the plate is fitted and where any gap is left around it.  If you look at my pictures earlier in this thread you can see how that can vary but from many viewing angles on the only finished example I have seen close up (i.e. mine, as illustrated in this thread) they do not look incorrect and any gaps don't show. If you are going to dirty the model the gaps could, I think, be dealt with reasonably easily.

I presume this method originated with either DJM of the factory and it definitely wasn't specified by Kernow.  It strikes me as a quite sensible production engineering idea which allows for fairly accurate assembly and avoids a stage in tampo printing while delivering what looks to be a reasonable quality numberplate.  However the problem with it is that - again presumably for production reasons? - the size and shape of the 'alignment depression' in the cab side sheet is not a 'tight' fit for the actual numberplate leaving a little bit of wriggle room which can result in tiny gaps which show up from some angles of viewing or vary from side to side.  

If - like me - you prefer to buy an etched numberplate and fit it yourself (as most of us have done on r-t-r models of (G)WR locos over the past 60 years or so) then I don't think there's anything to stop you carefully removing the factory fitted plate and doing what we have always done in the past - but that does obviously mean that positioning and aligning the plate is now in your hands or you even apply the etched plate on top of the factory fitted plate as Chris (Dibber 25 has done on his 14XXs).  

• Like 1

Guest chris.trebble

1. They do stand proud (just) - probably by almost the right amount considering the thickness of the real thing (haven't got time to go and measure mine but they aren't all that thick at 4mm:1ft scale)

2. The locating hole is slightly larger than the plate (for whatever reason?, see below) so a lot depends on how well the plate is fitted and where any gap is left around it.  If you look at my pictures earlier in this thread you can see how that can vary but from many viewing angles on the only finished example I have seen close up (i.e. mine, as illustrated in this thread) they do not look incorrect and any gaps don't show. If you are going to dirty the model the gaps could, I think, be dealt with reasonably easily.

I presume this method originated with either DJM of the factory and it definitely wasn't specified by Kernow.  It strikes me as a quite sensible production engineering idea which allows for fairly accurate assembly and avoids a stage in tampo printing while delivering what looks to be a reasonable quality numberplate.  However the problem with it is that - again presumably for production reasons? - the size and shape of the 'alignment depression' in the cab side sheet is not a 'tight' fit for the actual numberplate leaving a little bit of wriggle room which can result in tiny gaps which show up from some angles of viewing or vary from side to side.  

If - like me - you prefer to buy an etched numberplate and fit it yourself (as most of us have done on r-t-r models of (G)WR locos over the past 60 years or so) then I don't think there's anything to stop you carefully removing the factory fitted plate and doing what we have always done in the past - but that does obviously mean that positioning and aligning the plate is now in your hands or you even apply the etched plate on top of the factory fitted plate as Chris (Dibber 25 has done on his 14XXs).  

Would it be possible to include the outside raised surround of the number plates as part of the loco side moldings and then to design the number etch to be positioned within that?

• RMweb Gold

Would it be possible to include the outside raised surround of the number plates as part of the loco side moldings and then to design the number etch to be positioned within that?

I think the tolerances would be too tight (instead we would no doubt end up with a gap between the raised beading and the black (or red) plate.

The inclusion of a seperate etched plate in the box would be so much better, (maybe self adhesive to aid fitting).

• Like 2

I imagine that it would, but would doing so make it easier to apply the nameplate on a production line? Are these features applied by hand or machine?