RMweb

Kernow Model Rail Centre to produce GWR 1361 0-6-0 Saddle Tank

Andy Y

My 1364, as arrived yesterday, partnered with a recently built Coopercraft 7-plank open (Dia 02), an Ian Kirk P17 ballast wagon built last year, and a modified Hornby AA15 Toad, allocated to Cardiff. An improbable but not impossible line up circa 1947?

post-18813-0-89296300-1520693895_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-51360300-1520693906_thumb.jpg

post-18813-0-04464500-1520693913_thumb.jpg

I need to get the rolling road out now... and a layout built!

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 6

Sorry to go off topic but where did you get the CO circle transfer from for the Ian Kirk P17? I am doing the same kit right now and have a number of completed mermaids and starfish for my ballast train but none with that transfer as it’s not on the HMRS sheet and I can’t find it via Fox Transfers.

Love the line up by the way. My 1363 is a little gem and well worth the wait.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to go off topic but where did you get the CO circle transfer from for the Ian Kirk P17? I am doing the same kit right now and have a number of completed mermaids and starfish for my ballast train but none with that transfer as it’s not on the HMRS sheet and I can’t find it via Fox Transfers.

Love the line up by the way. My 1363 is a little gem and well worth the wait.

You'll find loads of them on my transfer sheet C89; see https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• RMweb Gold

My 1364, as arrived yesterday, partnered with a recently built Coopercraft 7-plank open (Dia 02), an Ian Kirk P17 ballast wagon built last year, and a modified Hornby AA15 Toad, allocated to Cardiff. An improbable but not impossible line up circa 1947?

attachicon.gifIMG_2052.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2051.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2053.JPG

I need to get the rolling road out now... and a layout built!

CoY

The only improbability is the somewhat adrift brakevan otherwise no problem at all as 1361s definitely worked mainline freight trips both before and after WWII if published photos are to be believed. (There is rather nice published pic  somewhere of 1362 busily making its way with a short(ish) trip freight.

post-13358-0-00825000-1520800517_thumb.jpg

1365 parked in the lay-by siding on No Place.  The WD saddletank behind gives an impression of how big it isn't.

post-13358-0-68402100-1520800646_thumb.jpg

A second pic showing why Andy uses multiple images and Photoshop to get the full depth of field.....   A little stiff at the moment, but running-in won't happen until Tuesday at the earliest.  The layout isn't set up as the controllers are attached to Hawthorn Dene until after Ally Pally. Hence the lack of other stock cluttering up the pics.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4

Brilliant, many thanks - that would actually be a pretty straightforward job.

According to RCTS the 1392s in their final guise actually had 1361 boilers. The only trouble with picking the 1392, which was Holcroft's model for the 1361,  is that they were so similar at the end, that one would have trouble telling them apart. They did have a rather different cab and bunker though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

According to RCTS the 1392s in their final guise actually had 1361 boilers. The only trouble with picking the 1392, which was Holcroft's model for the 1361,  is that they were so similar at the end, that one would have trouble telling them apart. They did have a rather different cab and bunker though.

The 1392s also had different saddle tanks - but one of those reputedly made its way onto a 1361 and still exists on the remaining engine.  There are various other differences although I don't think it would be impossible to produce one from various of the 1361 parts plus  scratch building of the cab and bunker area using Kernow's model of 1363 as the starting point.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant, many thanks - that would actually be a pretty straightforward job.

The 1392s also had different saddle tanks - but one of those reputedly made its way onto a 1361 and still exists on the remaining engine.  There are various other differences although I don't think it would be impossible to produce one from various of the 1361 parts plus  scratch building of the cab and bunker area using Kernow's model of 1363 as the starting point.  

Thanks gentlemen. For my own part I was thinking of a fictional loco. I looked into the 1392s earlier and that would be a more involved project as you say. I was hoping for a little light relief in this case :)

Can't help you there I'm afraid: I've only seen photographs of Heljan's offering. However, I gave it my vote because Kernow commissioned a model whose various releases have allowed for different detailing / positioning of parts. As their website notes, one tool would not have been able to provide all of the varieties. Heljan did not adopt this approach as far as I am aware.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

The Kernow ones ('humps' apart) are as specific as they can be to the prototype numbers they are carrying, the Shed Codes are correct for each engine in the livery it is carrying, they chimney height is correct for each engine as portrayed as are the position of the tool box, tank vent, tank filler hinge, bunker back and so on.  Over the years - seemingly. by the 1930s in some cases - most engines in the class differed from others in some way or another and by the post war period there were probably only a couple which were the same as each other in every detail - typical GWR standardisation.  The preserved engine 1363, is different from all the others in one important respect as it has a different saddle tank with various fittings in different places and the tank side handrail at a different height.

From what I have seen of them all the Heljan versions seem to be exactly the same as each other.

To be fair, Hornby and Bachmann would probably do the exact same approach as Heljan.

• RMweb Gold

To be fair, Hornby and Bachmann would probably do the exact same approach as Heljan.

Definitely not the case with the Hornby 'Castle' and the most recent 'King' where use of individual detail parts has allowed detail variation, e.g. right down to the oil pipe covers and buffer housings, to be included which means you have to take considerable care with renumbering or pick the right one to match the detail on a specific engine you want to renumber to.

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice if the screwlink coupling was available as a spare as it's a quality component and would sell well.

I have contacted Kernow on this and will post any developments.