Bachmann announce 0-6-2T L&NWR Webb Coal Tank

Andy Y

Except on locos with a rear carrying truck, all firegrates and ashpans went between the frames. If a designer had any sense, he also positioned them between axles. Robinson didn't on his 4-6-0 designs and ran into all sorts of trouble with poor steaming etc because he was forced to use a shallow almost level grate.

And of course, there is the 9F fiasco. Designed as a 2-8-2 with a Britannia boiler and ashpan between the trailing couple axle and truck, Riddles ordered its redesign as a 2-10-0. This meant that the ashpan had to straddle the trailing axle, leading to a shallow - and quickly filled - ashpan and a smaller boiler, since this had to be raised and would no longer fit within the loading gauge.

And of course, there is the 9F fiasco. Designed as a 2-8-2 with a Britannia boiler and ashpan between the trailing couple axle and truck, Riddles ordered its redesign as a 2-10-0. This meant that the ashpan had to straddle the trailing axle, leading to a shallow - and quickly filled - ashpan and a smaller boiler, since this had to be raised and would no longer fit within the loading gauge.

I’ll admit that I don’t often read of the 9F described as a fiasco. It is usually regarded as the one truly outstanding BR Standard design. Perhaps an ex-fireman will be along soon to tell us about the day he forgot the leather gloves which he needed to protect his hands from the burning mass just below the firehole door.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Seriously off topic:

There was also a proposed 2-8-0 version with wide firebox as well as an 8 coupled version of the Class 5 initiated when the WR suggested building more 2884s. More 9Fs were built instead

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/steam-railway-uk/20161104/282823600741073

Keith

I’ll admit that I don’t often read of the 9F described as a fiasco. It is usually regarded as the one truly outstanding BR Standard design. Perhaps an ex-fireman will be along soon to tell us about the day he forgot the leather gloves which he needed to protect his hands from the burning mass just below the firehole door.

From a fireman's point of view, certainly. I suggest that the Drawing Office saw things differently!

A fireman pal of mine who worked the long drag told me he always preferred a 8F 2-8-0 to the 9F's because he could spend more time looking at the scenery instead of the fire.  I wonder how he would have felt on a Coal Tank...  :mosking:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

Guest Midland Mole @ Footplate

All three versions are now in stock with us. :)

Alex @ Footplate

• Like 1

I've ran my LNWR  loco on a test track with 4  code 100 points and then code 83 points without any problems.

The derailing problem seems very hit and miss :O

Can anyone tell me who would do replacement number plates for this loco? Thank you.

Edited by stock_2007

I've ran my LNWR  loco on a test track with 4  code 100 points and then code 83 points without any problems.

The derailing problem seems very hit and miss :O

Can anyone tell me who would do replacement number plates for this loco? Thank you.

LNWR engine number plates are available from London Road Models and 247 Developments.

The LRM list includes 1076, 588, 2461, 3736 and 848.

The 247 Developments range on their website is much larger, possibly because the former proprietor produced the plates for the Bachmann model and saw further sales opportunities.

You will have to contact either supplier to see what they have in stock. 

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be a problem here.Maybe the wise course of action is to refer the matter to Bachmann directly for their comments and advice.Not got the first time can I remind forum members that Bachmann do have a history of rectifying mistakes.They did this with the first release A1 in 2001 and again with the new version of the Class 40 diesel....for which course of action they took on extra staff I believe.

I will be buying the model. If there is a fix,I'll fix it.If not,it will be returned.Remember there have been not dissimilar problems with other recent releases ....the Hornby Adams Tank is one example.I had to return that for a replacement.

And duly I put my money on the line and I received 7841,resplendent and elegant in LMS black.She runs beautifully through all track and pointwork (Peco Code 100) in both directions with no trace of stutter or stumble.On the basis of that,I can have no cause whatsoever for complaint.

• RMweb Gold

And duly I put my money on the line and I received 7841,resplendent and elegant in LMS black.She runs beautifully through all track and pointwork (Peco Code 100) in both directions with no trace of stutter or stumble.On the basis of that,I can have no cause whatsoever for complaint.

Exactly the same here, code 100, and some fairly sharp curves, no problem, virtually silent, and powerful enough to pull 7 Mk1s.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Decoders duly arrived today

Well done Coastal DCC, very quick service and competitive too.

Boy those contacts on the NexT18 look small.

I wonder how many times the decoder would stand up to being removed and replaced in it's socket?

The Plux looks a much more robust design.

Will have the loco running on DCC on Friday so I can report back how it copes with the track after the slight tweaking of the wipers.

Keith

A couple of MX618s on the way from Coastal DCC so I will be able try mine on the layout soon.

Keith

I found the MX618 just fouled one of the PCB fixing screws. The PCB still seemed pretty secure with the offending screw removed and allowed the MX618 to seat in the NEXT18 socket properly.

• RMweb Premium

I found the MX618 just fouled one of the PCB fixing screws. The PCB still seemed pretty secure with the offending screw removed and allowed the MX618 to seat in the NEXT18 socket properly.

I'll have to look out for that - Thanks.

Maybe a change of screw type?

I would have preferred my usual Lenz Silver + in Next18 format but they semed to either be out of stock or somewhat more expensive than usual!

Cheers

Keith

I'll have to look out for that - Thanks.

Maybe a change of screw type?

I would have preferred my usual Lenz Silver + in Next18 format but they semed to either be out of stock or somewhat more expensive than usual!

Cheers

Keith

I was suprised how cheap ( relatively ) the Zimo chip was, their other formats are considerably more. Gives good performance and very slow running. Need to sort out the wipers on the centre wheel set as one seems to be fouling my single slip. Goes through normal turnouts (Peco code 75) without any issues.
  • Like 1

The Bachmann Next 18 chip has a Zimo logo in the box, has anyone identified which model it is? Just wondering if the price of the Zimo reflecting the production quantity needed to also do the Bachmann?

• RMweb Premium

The Bachmann Next 18 chip has a Zimo logo in the box, has anyone identified which model it is? Just wondering if the price of the Zimo reflecting the production quantity needed to also do the Bachmann?

Zimo only list one basic Next 18 chip, so I assumed it is that one (MX618N18), in which case it will foul the screw as tender pointed out!

However these pictures say otherwise:

Bachmann:

http://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Bachmann-36-567-OO-Scale-Next18-Decoder681.jpg

Zimo

http://www.dcctrainautomation.co.uk/user/products/MX618N18.jpg

Clearly different

Edited to show pictures

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I have now had a chance to run & set up the Coal tank using the Zimo MX618 decoder.

(Bear in mind I am using TrainController!)

The loco runs well at low speed and is nicely controllable on DCC however the speed table & linearity of speed control leaves a lot to be desired.

The loco seemed pretty linear on analog speed versus DC volts

On TC I like to set up a loco with the first notch (start speed) so that the loco just moves. Normally this is set to 1, however the Zimo decoder needs a setting of 15!

I decided to use the speed table instead of just the three basic settings so V max is set to 155 which gives a scale speed of about 50mph

I set the speed table to match ends so it is straight between V start (15) and V Max (155) but the speed profile is an "S" shape with TrainController. very flattened down at bottom end and also at top.

With Lenz decoders (Standard+ or Silver+) locos always profile with a dead straight line!

It needs a fair bit of tweaking of the speed table reading to straighten it out. No brownie points for Zimo from me.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to mine. What's needed to tweak the pickups?

Just make sure they are touching high on the back of the tyre of driving wheels i.e. at least as high up as the tread on the wheel

If they are right down at the bottom (two of mine were) they may catch on check rails, depending on you trackwork.

It would seem there is some variability on the actual contact position, understandable for a mass production item, but the low design position can cause problems if they are at the bottom of the tolerance.

We are only talking about a mm or so between OK and possible problem.

Keith