Hornby king

B15nac

• RMweb Premium

Hey guys,

I am also pretty fascinated with those BR Blue steam locos. I want a start a small collection of them. Which King is being released in BR Blue?

Cheers!

J

No.6021 King Richard II

• 3 weeks later...

Photographs of the 3D printed sample and a blue livery illustration (early crest) of King Richard II are available in Hornby's "The Engine Shed" blog.

Posted today.

Now the only open livery question for the Hornby Kings is for King James I with it's "GWR" livery.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not an expert on either the King or S15 but like both of them and plan on getting at least one King in GWR and a S15 in Southern. These look very good to my inexpert eyes and it is nice to see three things here:

Hornby new releases at an advanced stage within a relatively short time from being announced

Hornby looking like they are back to their old standards with some rather lovely new tooling

Hornby improving their communications, SK's blog has been one of the best manufacturer communication pieces for a while and this Engine Shed blog looks like being another excellent bit of comms from Hornby

All three things are very definite signs of the continued improvement at Hornby and there is a sense of momentum with them which I find hugely positive.

Hornby new releases at an advanced stage within a relatively short time from being announced.

It would appear that the King has further to go than the S15, but it really is nice to see this kind of progress as is the fact that it is being communicated at all.

I hope that they update the product page with the King Richard II illustration soon.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

I have to say the King is looking and sounding fantastic.

I didn't think it had the "Bark" of a King.... plus the sound of eggs and bacon is a bit of a gimmick 

• RMweb Gold

I didn't think it had the "Bark" of a King.... plus the sound of eggs and bacon is a bit of a gimmick 

That was a 'King'? - hmm.  Alas all too typical of 4mm scale British loco sound, I could even hear what sounded remarkably like a Westinghouse pump going at one part of the performance and what was described as 'safety valve' sounded far more like cylinder drain cocks.  There are a  number of recordings of 'Kings' on the Steamsounds site and they don't sound much like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the production versions are the green shown in post 309 rather than the shade in the computer generated image.

I think for the umpteenth time we must say that "the images on Hornby's website are photoshoped images and always differ from the real thing" there is no point and no need to hope. If you have a doubt about the colour, just use Google and see for images of previous or different models that used that BR or GWR (or and similar) livery.

It's been discussed a lot on RMweb.

• RMweb Gold

I think for the umpteenth time we must say that "the images on Hornby's website are photoshoped images and always differ from the real thing" there is no point and no need to hope. If you have a doubt about the colour, just use Google and see for images of previous or different models that used that BR or GWR (or and similar) livery.

It's been discussed a lot on RMweb.

And if people actually bother to scroll down the page they'd actually see the disclaimer that Hornby put on there - 'Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated'

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to know how this model will justify the price tag of £159.99. I looks no more detailed that their other models retailing at £120

Increased development and production costs.New tooling. The price is in line with their own releases and with their competitors if you take the trouble to find out.For starters,compare with the DJM King.

• RMweb Gold

I'd like to know how this model will justify the price tag of £159.99. I looks no more detailed that their other models retailing at £120

Apparently purchase of this model will not be compulsory - in other words if you don't like the price you don't have to buy it.  As Ian has already said, and has we have heard in the past, production costs are rising and in fact it isn't much different from Bachmann's latest recommended prices for certain larger locos including 4-6-0s.  Situation is simple - whether we like it or not Chinese production costs are increasing hence retail prices are also increasing, mind you there won't be much scope for retailer's to offer any sort of discount to end customers when they will be paying over £140 for one of these.

• Like 1

and do bear in mind that royalty doesn't come cheap.

• Like 1

People complaining about prices has become a stale and terrible joke now.... :P Even Bachmann's prices shot up. Atleast Hornby went with the flow, Bachmann took a big leap. At the end of the day the two giants and all small suppliers are charging a bit now. Either deal with it in some way or shove out more for kits or self-designed ones :)