Hornby king

B15nac

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have stated they will be making an announcement today:

Thank you.Curious that they would seem not to be waiting until Saturday. On the face of it,it might be interpreted as a reaction to the Hattons/DJM announcement last week. Perhaps mere coincidence?

Edited by Ian Hargrave

Thank you.Curious that they would seem not to be waiting until Saturday. On the face of it,it might be interpreted as a reaction to the Hattons/DJM announcement last week. Perhaps mere coincidence?

Perhaps they ran out of inane "King" references, or at least couldn't think up enough to last till Saturday

That was part of the reason for the spring to summer jump plus the workload of doing the poll. It wasn't anticipated that there would be such a rash of announcements during August/September too.

As a source of information, the catalogues become out of date very quickly these days.....

• RMweb Premium

I think 84A you are really saying you would rather an Eastern region.loco rather than a Western loco. AFAIK Halls are eagerly anticipated from both Hornby and Bachmann and we haven't even touched on a Manor!!

Well it's 17.20 and nothing yet.

king-61.jpg

Hornby confirms the “King”

Steven Merry Hornby Senior Product Designer (1).jpg

Designers at Hornby are proud to confirm, following speculation, that they have indeed been developing a GWR 6000 ‘King’ Class Locomotive, C.B. Collett’s powerful passenger loco which saw action from 1927 until 1962. The first, fully detailed Hornby King will be available in the third quarter of 2015 from all good retailers and further models will follow later in the year.

king-7.jpg

The 2015 Hornby Models will be R3331 GWR 4-6-0 ‘King James’ 6000 Class retailing at £159.99, R3332 BR 4-6-0 ‘King Edward VIII’ 6000 Class (BR Late) £159.99 and R3370TSS BR 4-6-0 ‘King Richard II’ 6000 Class (BR Early) featuring TTS sound £179.99.

king-5.jpg

Specification is as follows:

- Fully detailed and painted cab

- 5 pole skew wound motor with scale speed gearbox

- In tender decoder socket with TTS compatibility

- In tender speaker mounting facility for TTS

- Loco and tender wheel electrical pickup

- Separate hand rails

- Additional parts allowing for late and early variations

- Various internal cylinder covers

- Sprung Buffers

- Brass Axle Bearings

king-4.jpg

king-3.jpg

king-2.jpg

king-1.jpg

In an effort to allow our consumers, and indeed trade customers the opportunity to “pre-order” this range of locomotives we will provide retailers with order forms later this week. Pre-ordering via the Hornby website will be available later this year.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I take back all of my scepticism, Hornby appear to be undercutting DJM/Hattons. Spec appears to be similar, nice to see 5 pole motor is going to be used plus scale gearbox, and TTS will be available. I am not in the market for KGV so will wait. It looks as if the Hattons and Hornby general models will almost be going head to head. Will Hattons cancel if Hornby are ahead of them, interesting times.?

• Like 1

Looks very nice so far.

I'm far from an expert on anything steam powered, but wasn't the only member of the class to have a bell on the front, King George V?

I just say that becuase it's not one of the listed announcements for 2015, so if they keep that bit of detail on, won't it be wrong for the chosen models?

cheers

Andy

The 2015 Hornby Models will be R3331 GWR 4-6-0 ‘King James’ 6000 Class retailing at £159.99, R3332 BR 4-6-0 ‘King Edward VIII’ 6000 Class (BR Late) £159.99 and R3370TSS BR 4-6-0 ‘King Richard II’ 6000 Class (BR Early) featuring TTS sound £179.99.

That bell in the CADs is a bit of a dead giveaway that *someone* plans to offer No. 6000 and it won't be Hornby directly.

The first, fully detailed Hornby King will be available in the third quarter of 2015 from all good retailers and further models will follow later in the year.

And the *bad* retailers will only get lumps of coal.

GWR Kings, these things are like buses apparently.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Things just got very interesting.......

Is Hornby returning to their glory days of 5 years ago?

Is this a one off lap of honour bank rolled by Steam or testing the markets willingness to pay for the sort of quality of those halycon days?

Are we seeing a split where Rairoad becomes a budget range of genuine models which will be good enough for serious modellers whilst trying to keep things affordable, a middle tier of well detailed models but with de-spec mechanisms for the main market and the occasional halo model?

Whatever this means I think the CAD's are illustrative that this is not just a kneejerk to the DJ/Hattons model and that they've been working on it for some time.

• RMweb Premium

I guess we will be hearing from Steam shortly and they will be taking orders this weekend. Also of note is that they have gone out of their way to mention brass bearings. Both Hornby and DJM/Hattons have their unique points, I look forward to seeing them alongside each other and tested (assuming they both go ahead).

• Like 1