Hornby king

B15nac

Is Hornby returning to their glory days of 5 years ago?

That's what i just thought

5-Pole motor...

What appears to be separately fitted back head detail.. 

Brass bearings returning..

Separate smoke dart..

Its like Hornby are listening to us and are coming back to the table especially at the price they are quoting. 

Just one other thing doesn't this announcement from Hornby remind people of when Olivia'sTrains/Heljan announced a Blue Pullman and Bachmann announced it was already doing one within a few days. 

• RMweb Gold

That's what i just thought

5-Pole motor...

What appears to be separately fitted back head detail.. 

Brass bearings returning..

Separate smoke dart..

Its like Hornby are listening to us and are coming back to the table especially at the price they are quoting. 

Just one other thing doesn't this announcement from Hornby remind people of when Olivia'sTrains/Heljan announced a Blue Pullman and Bachmann announced it was already doing one within a few days. 

Don't forget the separate handrails... ;)

Makes you wonder what else Hornby have got hiding up their Tardis-like sleeve....

• Like 1

Ahhhh.... Hornby finally you going back to that exceptional level of modelling. Love the specifications! Great to see TTS being used too, makes it more affordable for a ton of people. A pity that something like the DoG and P2 missed this but maybe upgrades can be made over time.

EDIT: LOL!!! And there goes Paulie boy setting off with his "disagreeing to my posts.... Childish. Very Childish.!!

Edited by Jeffery B

Looks very nice so far.

I'm far from an expert on anything steam powered, but wasn't the only member of the class to have a bell on the front, King George V?

I just say that becuase it's not one of the listed announcements for 2015, so if they keep that bit of detail on, won't it be wrong for the chosen models?

cheers

Andy

Maybe KGV is a special.....

Have Hornby gave any indication what you can use from their catalogue to run behind a King or is that next years announcement. ;) Interesting times.

Let's hope so Robin, though with their current financial situation, I'll be content to wait until they have righted the ship before attempting new high-spec coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We have moved on slightly from last week in that it now appears (contrary to my expectations) that Hornby are making a "full fat" King with brass bearings, 5 pole motor, high end back head detail and the sort of detail they were doing five years ago however ultimately it is still a case of two manufacturers announcing a King at the same time. Whereas before the weekend I was expecting the Hornby to be a lower end (but hopefully still very good) model it now looks as if both models will be aiming for the same high end market with a product built to a spec rather than price. I've no idea which will be delivered first or which will be better (although it looks like the Hornby project is well advanced) and am very excited about being in a potentially happy position of having to decide between two excellent models.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Things just got very interesting.......

Is Hornby returning to their glory days of 5 years ago?

Is this a one off lap of honour bank rolled by Steam or testing the markets willingness to pay for the sort of quality of those halycon days?

Are we seeing a split where Rairoad becomes a budget range of genuine models which will be good enough for serious modellers whilst trying to keep things affordable, a middle tier of well detailed models but with de-spec mechanisms for the main market and the occasional halo model?

Whatever this means I think the CAD's are illustrative that this is not just a kneejerk to the DJ/Hattons model and that they've been working on it for some time.

So what we knew was going to happen has happened although presumably the announcement has been brought forward by a week to counter the excitement created by Hattons last week.  No need to really add what will happen on Saturday as we knew  a long time back it would be coming and what it would be - and the flexibility of options ;plus some detail shown on the CAD show that to be the case (although I suspect it will inevitably cost a bit more than Hornby's price).

Swindon have obviously had an input regarding the standard and level of detail (they said they would) and this also appears to reflect in the mechanical spec as well where Hornby would seem to have been taking note of comments in RMweb (and maybe elsewhere?) about brass bearings and motors.

But then we come to the new bit (or reintroduced old bit) where the detail and flexibility of detailing to match different prototypes would seem to match what Hornby achieved with the 'Castle' - where there was also Swindon involvement as far as one version was concerned.  Hopefully it means the lessons of the 'Star' have been taken to heart and acted on.  But does it also show a determination on the part of Hornby to make sure that they will stay in the more demanding  (and higher priced) area of the market?  One engine, especially one produced and designed in slightly unusual circumstances, does not of course reflect a wholesale change in policy but if nothing else it provides an interesting test of the marketplace for Hornby and as far as modellers are concerned a potential indication that they have turned a corner and are listening.

One can but hope that their design endeavours are matched by production, quality control, and delivery but somehow I have a feeling that the company will be working particularly closely with the factory to ensure those things match the design and expectation.  We do indeed live in interesting times.

• Like 4

And presumably King George V in original as built condition for Steam....to be announced shortly ?

Looking for clues for the livery for the STEAM KGV from the CAD's ... bell, single chimney, modified outside steam pipes.  So definitely 6000, but not as originally built (due to the modified steam pipes) and not as preserved (as has it currently a double chimney which was fitted in 1956). Anyone know when 6000 had her steam pipes modified?

Due third quarter of 2015.

Be here some time around Christmas 2016 at a push then ! Mwah ha ha !

I wish there was a not very funny button. Do we have to keep knocking Hornby in a sly underhand manner ? We do not know yet which one will be out first but for my money red is the colour

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Same old Hornby with the livery descriptions though, 'GWR' with no indication if we are talking great crest western, shirt button, g crest w or variant there of. Could certainly learn from djm in that regard.

Does leave me with a tough choice now, Hornby have used the chassis design and I am pretty confident from that cad that a set of Gibson wheels will do the P4 conversion easily. (Ignoring the fact that the bogie will be fun what ever design)

My worry with committing to djm is that based on the Dapol releases for diesels, sentinel and well tank, the chassis design for the hat tons king may be significantly more complicated to convert (and I do not fancy the additional cost of an etched chassis for a 160£ loco!

I wish there was a not very funny button. Do we have to keep knocking Hornby in a sly underhand manner ? We do not know yet which one will be out first but for my money red is the colour

We do not know what colour DJ models boxes will be yet. If both are red, well it is win win on that bet.

• RMweb Premium

Hey I was spot on. As predicted the Hornby King undercuts the DJM/Hattons one by £10. I wonder how much it would have cost had there not been competition?.Not really in the market for a King , but then I said that about P2 and I'm sorely tempted. I think in this case there is room for both models. Of the two , I really hope the DJM one is successful as I see this as a route to more new models appearing rather than the pot pourri that is Hornby.

However fair does to them, although they will never acknowledge it , it must be clear now that they know a lack of brass bearings, moulded handrails darts etc were a bad move .

Interesting times

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Get a sense of Humour Man !

Edited by lofty1966

• RMweb Premium

Not so sure which will arrive first. But it's irrelevant. Surely the sensible thing to do is wait for both, see informed comment then make decision. I know people will be tempted to pre order to avoid missing out , but there are still plenty P2s about if you know where to look, and even if it sells out there's bound to be a second run. Why rush?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I find it intriguing the way we are already speculating on the type of design, components and ease of conversion, all we have seen is the CADs which in reality tell us very little. My dilemma is, do I cancel my Hattons pre-order and wait? I guess if the Hornby model is produced first and is good enough I can always cancel at a later date. I must say it is a nice dilemma to have. It would appear that this locos spec harks back to a few years ago, but one swallow does not a summer make and it would be easy to say the Star, heavy tanks and DoG were blips. It is to be hoped that with the recent other announcements it really does herald a return to form, which will be great for Hornby and great for the hobby and of course us.

• Like 1

So what we knew was going to happen has happened although presumably the announcement has been brought forward by a week to counter the excitement created by Hattons last week.  No need to really add what will happen on Saturday as we knew  a long time back it would be coming and what it would be - and the flexibility of options ;plus some detail shown on the CAD show that to be the case (although I suspect it will inevitably cost a bit more than Hornby's price).

Swindon have obviously had an input regarding the standard and level of detail (they said they would) and this also appears to reflect in the mechanical spec as well where Hornby would seem to have been taking note of comments in RMweb (and maybe elsewhere?) about brass bearings and motors.

But then we come to the new bit (or reintroduced old bit) where the detail and flexibility of detailing to match different prototypes would seem to match what Hornby achieved with the 'Castle' - where there was also Swindon involvement as far as one version was concerned.  Hopefully it means the lessons of the 'Star' have been taken to heart and acted on.  But does it also show a determination on the part of Hornby to make sure that they will stay in the more demanding  (and higher priced) area of the market?  One engine, especially one produced and designed in slightly unusual circumstances, does not of course reflect a wholesale change in policy but if nothing else it provides an interesting test of the marketplace for Hornby and as far as modellers are concerned a potential indication that they have turned a corner and are listening.

One can but hope that their design endeavours are matched by production, quality control, and delivery but somehow I have a feeling that the company will be working particularly closely with the factory to ensure those things match the design and expectation.  We do indeed live in interesting times.

By "Swindon" do you mean "Steam"?

• RMweb Premium

Not so sure which will arrive first. But it's irrelevant. Surely the sensible thing to do is wait for both, see informed comment then make decision. I know people will be tempted to pre order to avoid missing out , but there are still plenty P2s about if you know where to look, and even if it sells out there's bound to be a second run. Why rush?

Agree on this. I do not plan to pre-order and I'm willing to take the risk of missing out but I think that is a small enough risk I am not worried.

Same old Hornby with the livery descriptions though, 'GWR' with no indication if we are talking great crest western, shirt button, g crest w or variant there of. Could certainly learn from djm in that regard.

Agreed.

Hornby are pretty consistent on such things and my guess is that "GWR 4-6-0 ‘King James’ 6000 Class" will most likely be a GREAT <arms> WESTERN early Collett livery. Of course with that description it is impossible to tell.

I know people will be tempted to pre order to avoid missing out , but there are still plenty P2s about if you know where to look, and even if it sells out there's bound to be a second run. Why rush?

Agree on this. I do not plan to pre-order and I'm willing to take the risk of missing out but I think that is a small enough risk I am not worried.

I don't think there's likely a lot of need to pre-order the Hornby King immediately. Pre-ordering is more relevant for commissioned items where volumes are likely to be smaller.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Whatever Hornby and others may have up their sleeves, the current Hornby King can be bought at very low prices and is in my opinion and attractive model; full separate handrails, exquisite paint, 5-pole silent motor, reliable, strong.  I just bought this for £47 on Ebay, reliable seller, and no doubt will embellish it with some details soon.

DJM might do better, but when...?

post-7929-0-67204300-1410207463.jpg

typo edit £ not $

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 5