The future for 7mm

steve fay

That's not a bad idea,my first respray,when I have mastered it,will be my rail blue 37,I really wish I had gone for the green version..

... and why my Bachmann 122 - when I finally get round to painting it - is going in all over blue with yellow ends and a black roof rather than the perhaps more accurate blue/grey version.  But we all know that a number of prototypes hung on to obsolete liveries for years.  I've found a picture of one in 1986 on the mainline in blue which is a good 5 years after my layout plans.

Looks like I need to sell more of the 4mm collection to fund a 22 and an AC Railbus. One thing I have noticed in 7mm is that products seem to appear in limited numbers and then have unpredictably short availabilities. Folk are retiring too. It does seem to be common practice to buy when seen and then put in the cupboard for later. Mind you, 4mm with all the special commissions, is heading that way too.

On the plus side, today's show showed yet again just how much is available in 7mm, if only you know where to look and who to ask. Credit due to many traders who willingly pointed me in the direction of others to find bits and bobs.

After a few mishaps I am however loathed to buy bits 'sight unseen'. More confidence comes from at least seeing photos online. There are loads who have no online presence though, and that does make life for the newbie more difficult. (this lack of web presence has been done to death elsewhere, with no need to go through it again).

Yes yes sell it all!!! 22 will be great & I can sort you a railbus ;-)

But that goes back to points made earlier, in that out of 6,000 or so members (I think was the figure) you'd see the same names time and time again appearing with articles, letters, reviews and whatnot.  I know not everyone can write good enough or take decent pictures but I'm sure that if there had been a call for volunteers to help with that sort of thing you'd have had some offers meaning a wider range of articles on a wider range of subjects, rather than the all too common "I bought a kit and threw half of it away" approach.

If the same names keep appearing it is because they are the ones who have taken the time and trouble to submit articles! As I have already said on the GOG forum, the Gazette editor can only publish the material he receives! 

• RMweb Gold

If the same names keep appearing it is because they are the ones who have taken the time and trouble to submit articles! As I have already said on the GOG forum, the Gazette editor can only publish the material he receives! 

It was the same when I had the job and wrote a fair bit myself.

Don

Well smack me with a wet kipper,I plead guilty to submitting not one but three articles to the Guilds gazette so I'm one of the same names Cromptonnut mentions. I also plead guilty to not building a kit and throwing most of it away, but hey ho I must have been reading another magazine rather than the fiction Cromptonnut has been reading, still never mind. Give it a rest or get a life as this constant knocking of the Guild and its publication gets rather tedious ;)

• RMweb Gold

I quite agree that 7mm is an awkward scale so I don't bother with it I use a scale rule. I happened to mention this in an editorial and some kind member set some up on the computor printed a page of them laminated it and sent me a few. These are handy being flexible I can measure in hard to reach places. I regard it as building full size with a shrunken ruler. It comes in handy when making buildings etc. I know that 2ft 9in is a common size for a door and can measure it easily where as 19.25mm is meaningless to me.

Regarding the articles in the gazette when I was doing it I badgered friends to produce articles for me or let me photograph their railways. So there may have been some personal bias. I did however try to always remember that there are many different approaches it is not the editors job to favour garden lines, scratchbuilding, scale 7 or RTR. I tried to achieve a balance as well as making it interesting. 

Don

I'm sure there'd be a market for first gen DMU's.......there's still plenty of gaps in the market - rtr and kit - for "small layout, low cost stuff" which is what will attract new blood to O gauge.

Andrew,

There may be plenty of gaps in the 7mm RTR market, but the manufacturers need to consider if there is a market in the gap.

I'm sure that Heljan, Dapol et all would only be too happy to produce RTR DMU's and everything etc. (101 is my favourite) but a handful of people wanting on RMweb is not really a indicator of actual sales. It's the sales they need to invest in the tooling etc. that is expensive and on top of that, the manufacturers can't get it right. Either due to economical development time or that the model is the wrong specification for some.

O gauge modellers, by and large like to have accurate looking specific models and that's why it's been a kit based hobby as kits allow for the modeller to add the details.

O gauge is not a out of the box train set scale yet, and I don't think it ever will be. Why would you want it to be? If you just want to play trains and have lots of choice stay with OO. For most 7mm is about modelling, and due to space, cost of whatever, the size of the 7mm market is small in comparison to OO and so there no economies of scale or as many opportunities to make models that wont make much money.

I do get a bit fed up with some banging on about RTR small radius point too. A scale model is designed to run on scale track. I don't want any compromise in loco design just so they can run around set track. Class 40's never ran on docks so why think the model needs to be able to run over sharp radii track? It's horses for courses.

Anyway back to my point, whilst lots of people want this and that in RTR (I'm one of them) how much will they actually buy? And is the few enough to make it a market? I for one can't afford all the current RTR offerings so whilst I may want I'm not going to be much of a customer I'm afraid.

It's late, I've probably made no sense and so I better stop my rant now :)

• RMweb Premium

I do get a bit fed up with some banging on about RTR small radius point too. A scale model is designed to run on scale track. I don't want any compromise in loco design just so they can run around set track. Class 40's never ran on docks so why think the model needs to be able to run over sharp radii track? It's horses for courses.

But isn't that what's made OO so popular compared to P4? In the smaller scales you can run almost anything you want on train set curves yet there is still superb modelling in the stock and scenics.

Why can't there be more compromise in O Gauge - those who still want scale models on scale track could/should use Scale 7 standards . . . . . !

But isn't that what's made OO so popular compared to P4? In the smaller scales you can run almost anything you want on train set curves yet there is still superb modelling in the stock and scenics.

In 7mm there does indeed to be more emphasis on "building stock" than "building a layout to run it on".  Not saying there aren't some fantastic O gauge layouts out there of course.

However, as more OO gauge modellers "upgrade" to O gauge, this may change, with emphasis more on "building and running a railway".

But isn't that what's made OO so popular compared to P4? In the smaller scales you can run almost anything you want on train set curves yet there is still superb modelling in the stock and scenics.Why can't there be more compromise in O Gauge - those who still want scale models on scale track could/should use Scale 7 standards . . . . . !.

Mike, one could say those who don't want scale models on scale track could/should stay with OO gauge! :)

To be honest I get a bit fed up with all this talk about set track not being the right way to go in 0 gauge, RTR is the death knell, why don't you all learn to use a lathe etc etc ad nauseum, at the end of the day we are all playing trains to some degree or another. If you don't like what someone else does then that's something you need to deal with and not the modeller.......surely there is enough room in the hobby for everyone and everyones preference. I do know there are some POFs (proper old farts) out there and to be honest I just ignore it all. I have seen some exquisite modelling by truly skilled and gifted individuals and some layouts with nearly all ready to run stuff on and enjoyed them all. The real risk to 0 gauge is from those POFs who can be elitist but I am confident 0 gauge will continue for many a year yet.

OK rant now over I'm going into the loft to start my J25 kit and play with my Fowler pulling some Skytrex.............and no that's not a euphemism

Isn't OO inaccurate by its definition, being 4mm scale models running on 3.5mm scale track

Yes, but you can always fit EM or P4 wheelsets. The general standard of recent models in 00 (and N) appears to be pretty good and more accurate than the Heljan Mk1s or the Dapol wagons. 

I can't see anything elitist about wanting reasonably accurate scale models instead of generic bodge-ups! They seem to manage it in 00 these days.

I may have not explained myself clearly, if having reasonably accurate scale models is what is important to you then that is fine by me, in fact it helps inspire some folk to do better BUT if just having a train that sort of looks like what it's supposed to be going round in circles on some set track is your thing then that is fine too, neither point of view is more right than the other. We would be in a real pickle

if we didn't have both. Neither point of view has the right to make negative comments on the other, that is the crux of my gripe......I think Nick Dunhill (and others) are truly inspirational modellers, (and really helpful & supportive) likewise my mates Skytrex Y6 brings him great enjoyment with a few their wagons on the back, it's just toy trains at the end of the day and we do this for enjoyment don't we??

Archived