The future for 7mm

steve fay

On a more positive note, who is going to Telford this weekend? I know of a few RMWebbers who are. I shall be with the North Devon O Gauge group helping to operate John Bowden's 'St. Aldems Quay'. Please make yourself known. You cannot miss me as I am very tall.

I and my select team of operators will be there with Dock Green. Please make yourself known. You cannot miss me as I am very ugly.

• RMweb Gold

The problem is across the whole hobby, I would say, not just 7mm.

In recent weeks, Mainly Trains has begun to close down, Finney & Smith are winding up, and now (as of 1st September) Comet is up for sale.

Personally I feel that the loss of Comet would be catastrophic, so best of luck to the present owner in finding a buyer, and wishing them well with their health.

On the other hand, as a relative newcomer to 7mm, I'm always impressed at what seems to be a vibrant and happening scale, with lots of trade support and a hands-on ethos to construction. It's inevitable that some of the older businesses will be approaching retirement age, but with the likes of Steve getting into the scale at a relatively young age, there's plenty of hope for the future.

This is an interesting topic and many good points have been raised. I also was about your age Steve when I first started dabbling in 0 Gauge more than 20 years ago. I am sure that throughout history there have been similar concerns raised and then the introduction of "new" technology takes over to give a different perspective on things.

I think that more RTR can only help to get more people working within our scale and hopefully this in turn will help to grow some of the associated cottage industries.

Meanwhile, I am looking forward to a good Guildex this weekend.

Alan.

I entered 0 Gauge in 1993 at the age of 34. We had recently moved into the area on posting back tio the UK from Bielefeld, Germany where I had been a staff officer at HQ 1st British Corps. I was tempted to buy the Slater's 0 gauge kit of the standard RCH 7 plank open wagon from David Smith's Cove Models stand (I had got to know David as his shop in Farnborough was my local when I was posted attached to the Welsh Guards in Pirbright from 1988 to 1990). The purpose was for purely experimental purposes and I was heavily into building Boduan Junction, part of my 4mm scaleBR ex- Cambrian Railways layout. Well one wagon led to another, then some track and finally an ABS kit of Peckett 0-4-0ST. The rest as someone once said "is history."

Why did I do it? The main reason was that I was becoming increasingly bored with 4mm scale. We now have almost everything we could possibly want in 4mm scale. Who would have predicted that the trade would mass-produce inter alia GWR 8-coupled tanks (or a 56XX for that matter), GCR Directors, Class 16 and 23 diesel locos etc. Add the plethora of ready-made buildings and it was all becoming too easy and familiar.  I recall buying the Bachmann lined green Ivatt 2MT as it was numbered for a Machynlleth loco and thus perfect for my Cambrian layout. I got it home, took it out of the box, added the break rods, pipes and other bits, put it on the track and turned the controller. And that was it, a completely sterile and unsatisfying experience. In 0 gauge every wagon or van has its own personality, as Chaz Harrison shows so well, and  one can get excited about detailing something as mundane as a buffer stop, 40 gallon drum or dustbin.

I was recently in AC Models in Eastleigh and one of the regulars was looking at the Ixion Hudswell Clarkes and Fowlers in the display cabinet. He said he was considering a move up to 0 gauge and his interest was aroused when I introduced myself as one of the owners of Ixion. We chatted for a while. The upshot is that he and a chum are going to visit me at home to view Cwm Bach (such as it is). They may well convert, especially when they can compare the mass of a 7mm scale model with the 4mm stuff on Abersoch on the other side of the aisle.

But the best and clinching feature about 0 gauge is that unlike the smaller scales, you can't view both ends of a carriage at the same time.

I'll be at Telford on Saturday, usually squatting on the Dragon Models stand. I shall be wearing a ghastly black Ixion polo shirt, designed by fellow Ixion owner Lindsay O'Reilly, who usually has a good eye for style, but failed miserably with the shirts.

I entered 0 Gauge in 1993 at the age of 34.

Why did I do it? The main reason was that I was becoming increasingly bored with 4mm scale. We now have almost everything we could possibly want in 4mm scale.

That's pretty similar to my reasons for starting in 7mm scale, and I was about the same age.  7mm gave me the opportunity to do something different and spend my time building detailed models, which I enjoy more that actually running them.

OK, so I haven't achieved that much in 4 years, one loco completed and one wagon scratchbuild under way, but I do have other hobbies as well.  Quality over quantity for me, every time.

Finally, for anyone who complains that 7mm scale is expensive, just start playing around with old cars and it will seem really cheap!

Guest Isambarduk

I'll be at Telford both days this year, helping out on the HMRS stand as usual, selling photos, books and transfers, and trying to persuade people not to use lining transfers but to learn to do their lining properly with a pen (making their own transfers, if necessary, eg boiler bands).  I hope to meet up with friends, either there or wandering about the halls.

David

PS I'm sure I've written this before so apologies for the duplication.

Today Michael Brooks of Masterpiece Models has announced his retirement - good for him, he's almost 79 and has created a series of memorable RTR models in 7mm that have set benchmarks now being pursued by other manufacturers.

For Michael, the strain of attending shows and continual visits to the builder in Korea was becoming too much. After all, he has a life, a wife and many other interests to enjoy, but what he started will now be taken forward by someone younger. All the Masterpiece Mainline and Masterpiece Lite models already announced will be produced, and there are certain to be other exciting productions in the future.

Masterpiece locos are undoubtedly at the higher end of the RTR market in terms of cost and not everyone can afford them, but they have brought highly detailed, bespoke 7mm models within reach of many who would never have been able to contemplate a hand built loco from one of the established UK builders at anything up to ten times the price.

I think that all us 7mm modellers owe Michael a huge debt of gratitude for changing the landscape at the more demanding end of our great hobby.

Many thanks Michael, and now enjoy a proper and well-earned retirement!

Adrian

post-16579-0-56014100-1409834781_thumb.jpg

Il be there, you can tell who I am because I'm Welsh!!!!!!!!

And il have a rugby shirt and base ball cap on.

and with a bit of luck looking after me as well.

I'll be short wearing a bright yellow shirt and blue jeans and looking to spend money. 

I think I would rather thank Malcolm Mithcell /JLTRT for their superb range of kits or Dave Sharp at MOK or Martin Finney or David Andrews,

all that can be built to exact customer specifications, something I could never have got from the Korean produced RTR.

I think I would rather thank Malcolm Mithcell /JLTRT for their superb range of kits or Dave Sharp at MOK or Martin Finney or David Andrews,

all that can be built to exact customer specifications, something I could never have got from the Korean produced RTR.

Although I agree with you on most things Steve, I think you are wrong here. The spec on Masterpiece Mainline locos is incredibly precise for each individual model - even down to tiny items such as rainstrips which varied from loco to loco.

Adrian

I don't disagree they are to a high spec, but they could never get to the level I've had done on my castles, right down to individual pipes from the mechanical lubricators. Once my last castle was complete it could have only have been one of two locos.

It's not just that it's the reliability issues that have always concerned me.

Individual pipes… ? They are here in plenty! As for reliability and sound perhaps I should bring a couple of mine round to Ranelagh Bridge when it's ready so you can try them for yourself.

Incidentally, I love your work on Canton and very much looking forward to RB which I knew well.

Adrian

post-16579-0-00442000-1409845823_thumb.jpg

post-16579-0-60935000-1409845881_thumb.jpg

The thing that concerns me most about the future of 7mm is the increasing popularity of coarse-scale makes such as Ace Trains which to me are a completely backward step. I'd hate to see British 0 following in the steps of the US 0 where around 90% of the market is 'Hi-Rail'!

The thing that concerns me most about the future of 7mm is the increasing popularity of coarse-scale makes such as Ace Trains which to me are a completely backward step. I'd hate to see British 0 following in the steps of the US 0 where around 90% of the market is 'Hi-Rail'!

I don't think you need worry - I can't see coarse-scale usurping fine-scale, it's very much a niche market. All of us kit builders and scratchbuilders will carry on with FS and S7 and the RTR buyers will buy what they want. Whilst coarse-scale doesn't appeal to me I have no problem with it being available. No, the more people who are in the hobby, in whatever form, the better. Chacun a son goute.

Chaz

Individual pipes… ? They are here in plenty! As for reliability and sound perhaps I should bring a couple of mine round to Ranelagh Bridge when it's ready so you can try them for yourself.

Incidentally, I love your work on Canton and very much looking forward to RB which I knew well.

Adrian

attachicon.gif40915.jpg

attachicon.gif40765.jpg

You would be very welcome

I have just seen the floor plan Chaz and Dock Green is virtually opposite St. Aldhelms Quay!! Spooky!

Only if you are looking at the "Souvenir Guide" where the plan is "subject to alteration". The position of both layouts has changed - according to the revised plan that exhibitors have been sent. But don't worry, you will still be close enough to be annoyed by my sound chips!

I do think maybe this a matter for the guild, I would have thought it should be aimed at finescale modelling and leave the corse scale stuff for the likes of the collectors gazette.?

can't agree with that, I'm afraid, and I don't think the Guild would either. In the past coarse scale was more prominent than it is now and if it is undergoing a resurgence with more RTR available that could be seen as a continuation. IMHO there is room for both and although I do sometimes cringe when looking at some of the articles in the Gazette (no names, no packdrill) one can quickly turn the page. Each to their own....

I see what your saying and like you I just turn the page, ok then if not the guild

Do you think it would be good to have a finescale dedicated group ? Or a dedicated 7mm finescale magazine. I mean there's plenty of superb o gauge models and layouts out there they certainly wouldn't be short of content.

I see what your saying and like you I just turn the page, ok then if not the guild

Do you think it would be good to have a finescale dedicated group ? Or a dedicated 7mm finescale magazine. I mean there's plenty of superb o gauge models and layouts out there they certainly wouldn't be short of content.

Why? When I go to an exhibition I like to see all the exhibits not just the ones in the scale I model in or if it's Continental of American or British, standard gauge or narrow gauge the variations are endless. I also appreciate the plastic modellers, military modellers etc. The Gazette caters for all tastes in 0 gauge like the RTR,and Kit manufacturers do, after all some of us choose to build everything whilst others get someone else to build it for them. 0 gauge modelling is a very diverse pastime and I'm sure that it will continue to grow. After all we are grown men/women just playing with our toys and that hasn't changed in a very long time.;)

Archived