The Great Electric Train Show

Arrow_56

Hornby Magazine's Great Electric Train Show is being held at The Heritage Motor Centre in Gaydon on October 11 and 12.

Over 25 layouts will be in attendance as well as 30 exhibitors. New for 2014 will be the skills zone where expert modellers will be on-hand with top tips and demonstrations!

For more information visit www.greatelectrictrainshow.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I shall be there for the weekend trying to juggle assisting with Mike Wild's latest Hornby Magazine layout Twelve Trees Junction and also the High Wycombe and District MRS layout Hinton Parva!

It was certainly a great show last year and this years line up looks just as good.

Just about completed the checks on ‘Crewlisle’.  After checking/servicing my large number of locos & stock I have come across a few problems, such as six same-make direct plug in decoders failing & sourcing replacements; sourcing APT traction tyres, replacing decoder & a burnt out LMS Jinty motor.   Checked OLE today to  ensure no bits were missing as it is all portable.   A few adjustments made such as restricting height of Bachmann Class 85 pantograph to avoid snagging wires, etc in tunnels & minor pantograph problems on other electrics on WCML crossovers.

The main problem is that two of my three experienced operators had to drop out at short notice for personal reasons.  Luckily I have just managed to recruit two new members to the team, so they will both be on a fast track learning curve!  Apologies in advance for any short comings in our operation.

• RMweb Gold

I recently purcahsed the original stock that was built for Holcombe Brook and Tottington in the 1990's by David Akerman and his team. I am in the process of adding sound chips to them for their first exhibition for many years at Gaydon this coming weekend, the stock includes a scracthbuilt 3 car L&Y Manchester - Bury EMU and a scratchbuilt L&Y Railmotor as used on the line.

I will also be running my own Class 504 conversion and the L&Y radial tank Belpair conversion.

A bit of a setback for Friday for setting up layouts.  Access to exhibition hall is not available until 1800.  I think ‘Crewlisle’ will struggle to set up Friday evening as it was never designed as an exhibition layout to be set up/dismantled in 30 minutes!  Layout designed & built against all layout design ‘rules’ - track work & points over baseboard joints are on a curve, short track sections have to be inserted & rail joiners slid over adjoining track + portable OLE to be erected + working semaphores to be connected + stock to arrange.  That is how I can get so much track in an 8ft square to try & represent the WCML!  I am sure we will get there in the end.  Now all boxed up & ready to go.

• RMweb Premium

If Bachmann show anything new today, could someone please post photos. We are still awaiting first photos of the SR PMV/CCT first announced in March 2013. There are various other new items they could have on display. And those of us who live far away will also be interested in layouts on display.

John

• RMweb Premium

Show was excellent today, some absolutely stunning layouts, I am still not entirely sure about this venue even if it is only 20 minutes from my home, it's a bit of a rabbit warren. But the bonus is one can have a look at some truly awesome cars as well.. But all in all a great electric train show.

• RMweb Gold

Show was excellent today, some absolutely stunning layouts, I am still not entirely sure about this venue even if it is only 20 minutes from my home, it's a bit of a rabbit warren. But the bonus is one can have a look at some truly awesome cars as well.. But all in all a great electric train show.

I absolutely agree and I left thinking I must have missed something.Not that fussed about the museum side of the show having a large one in my home City which is free to enter but I did recollect my childhood on stumbling across this beast on the way out. :no:

post-126-0-18454800-1413123720_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-91655900-1413123740_thumb.jpg

Fabulous.

Cracking weekend spent helping on the DEMU stand both days. Great exhibition with some lovely layouts and reasonable trade support, though could be improved with more societies etc perhaps. I even made a start on a 4EPB... 

• RMweb Gold

I absolutely agree and I left thinking I must have missed something.Not that fussed about the museum side of the show having a large one in my home City which is free to enter but I did recollect my childhood on stumbling across this beast on the way out. :no:

attachicon.gifDSCN4855.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4856.jpg

Fabulous.

"Parker - take off my blouse!" etc

• RMweb Gold

Speaking as an exhibitor I thought we were very well looked after in a very "light touch" way, the venue was superb and interesting(if a little warm at times)  - including easy access and very close loading bays ( we were away within 31 minutes of "close" ( and we didn't start dismantling until the official announcement)  - and the layouts were of a high standard (although it was clearly not a "fine scale" show  and I'd have liked a bit of narrow gauge myself).

Numbers through the door seemed very high with lots of families and "returners" (I could have spent the whole weekend talking about DCC, Kadees, weathering, what's next after Peco track, baseboard alignment etc. etc...

Personally I was very pleased to chat to some of the demonstrators - I particularly like Tim Shackleton's weathered 7mm 31 and 33 - and my favourite layouts - in the "big" category it was "Thornbury Hill" and in the small category it was "Snug End" Very nicely done indeed..

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Likewise I thought the exhibition was well balanced with with a good ratio of quality layouts and quality traders.

A couple of constructive comments if I may.

It would have been nice with a couple NG layouts.

I felt the demonstration area was very cramped perhaps more room next year.

All in all a good exhibition and I will return next year.

Eltel

I attended on a Saturday morning which was a big mistake and detracted massively from my enjoyment.  I think it could have been a good exhibition but its success (and this was only year 2) left it far too crowded.  I hate to say it but in some cases the space given to exhibits (and i am thinking the big layouts back to back) could have been trimmed down to widen the gangway.  So some thought needs to be given to capacity management.

One way systems?

More thought to layout, pinch points etc

Premium for Saturday morning

Encouraging some to do cars, then trains.  Most were arriving for the trains and only did cars as an escape when trains were too busy or on the way out

The "skills zone" was very limited and very cramped.  It was really a gesture to the competition

Commercially, they were throwing money away.  I offered a £20 note for an adult £12 ticket and rather than scramble for change I was given an OAP ticket.  In any event they were very ready to cash sell and avoid the queue and not to gift aid as a museum.  Then they were handing out the guides which said £2 on the front (prob just a VAT scam rather than lost revenue.  Finally, the nice conference organisers had left the water dispensers in place.  I guess that by Sunday they would be out of cups but they were popular on Saturday - beats buying a drink.  All that and a car museum added in.

I attended on a Saturday morning which was a big mistake and detracted massively from my enjoyment.  I think it could have been a good exhibition but its success (and this was only year 2) left it far too crowded.  I hate to say it but in some cases the space given to exhibits (and i am thinking the big layouts back to back) could have been trimmed down to widen the gangway.  So some thought needs to be given to capacity management.

One way systems?

More thought to layout, pinch points etc

Premium for Saturday morning

Encouraging some to do cars, then trains.  Most were arriving for the trains and only did cars as an escape when trains were too busy or on the way out

The "skills zone" was very limited and very cramped.  It was really a gesture to the competition

Commercially, they were throwing money away.  I offered a £20 note for an adult £12 ticket and rather than scramble for change I was given an OAP ticket.  In any event they were very ready to cash sell and avoid the queue and not to gift aid as a museum.  Then they were handing out the guides which said £2 on the front (prob just a VAT scam rather than lost revenue. ???????????????????????? Finally, the nice conference organisers had left the water dispensers in place.  I guess that by Sunday they would be out of cups but they were popular on Saturday - beats buying a drink.  All that and a car museum added in.

Can`t see the point of some of  the above commemt . What VAT scam can ther be ?

Attended on Saturday morning as well. Having Abbey road and Twelve trees opposite made for a very very cramped walkway. For me it was only Horfield that had any space near it.

The problem is the layout of the conference centre doesn't lend itself to open areas and free passageways.

Maybe next year there could be a clump of layouts in the larger areas ie away from the escalators in the larger rooms. You arrive at the top and already in a mass of people. Which I noted people were struggling to get off the escalator.

Other than the overall layout of the exhibition. It was a good varied show. Plenty to see. A good mix of layouts. I will definitely return next year.

The cars are certainly an extra bonus for when you've finished with the show upstairs before leaving. Especially when trying to dodge a monster of a rainstorm! 

Archived