RMweb

The Mill

• RMweb Premium

Chris and I had a modelling evening last night, battling with tiny fold up frames. Chris started on the Sentinel and Me on the Judith Edge Ruston 48DS, a seriously small loco (much shorter than a 16 ton mineral).

Here is how far I got:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The lighter is to give an idea of size- the photos show the inner and outer frames with bufferbeams attached.

That's wierd..  the loco at the back looks like a lighter.

We don't all smoke..  some folk use a ruler for scale..  crazy!!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get an hour in tonight when I got back from work. I got hold of some brass dressmakers pins yesterday so improved the pivots for the swingarms (the chassis is compensated - necessary for an 0-4-0). I also soldered on the end plates for the outer frames (under the bufferbeams) and managed to get the axle boxes on one side before time ran out.

post-9707-0-09468300-1460493252_thumb.jpeg

post-9707-0-12517600-1460493294_thumb.jpeg

post-9707-0-24225900-1460493348_thumb.jpeg

And no, it still doesn't look like a loco :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mark. Funnily enough, the article on the layout was in the last issue although we sort of get a mention inside this one, albeit only as one of the layouts attending Expo EM in Bracknell on the 14th & 15th May.

For those non-members of the society, here is the front cover. The layout has moved on since this was taken, albeit not much.

post-9707-0-02784600-1460664399_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

The layout is looking good on the front cover of the latest EMGS Newsletter, very nice.

I googled the EMGS newsletter, but the Environmental Mutagenesis and Genomics Society doesn't seem to go much on model railways ...

Edited by bluebottle

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's getting there. With wires on the motor terminals, it moved under it's own power and the compensation works after a bit of judicious filing. It's a bit scruffy in places and needs some tidying up but that can wait until all the soldering is done.

Chris has been a huge help with it, guiding me along when things have got a bit complex (or needed Ferlinghetti so they would work correctly). In the meantime, he's been working on my Sentinel kit which I think he thought would be quick and easy but is proving challenging to get to his high standards.

Anyway, here are some shots of the 48DS.

post-9707-0-22415000-1461493455_thumb.jpeg

post-9707-0-25840700-1461493501_thumb.jpeg

post-9707-0-25789700-1461493535_thumb.jpeg

In case you were wondering, the chassis is not bolted to the frames in the last shot, which is why it is not aligned.

• Like 12

Nice work Jason of a lovely little loco. I remember years ago when I used to go with my dad to the Severn Valley Railway when he volunteered there. They used to have one of these in bright yellow that they used to shunt the yard with at Bewdley nick named "Yellow Peril". What ever happened to it god only knows! 

• Like 1

Evening all...

This is what I've been getting on with, an RT Models 100hp Post War Sentinel.

post-19016-0-20553300-1461538076_thumb.jpeg
post-19016-0-71653100-1461538100_thumb.jpeg
post-19016-0-41182000-1461538118_thumb.jpeg

The chassis is complete & running, DC at the minuet I've not fitted the chip yet. Some additional detail has been added to create a more comprehensive representation of the brake hear. The cab & bunker are just sat in place at present as is the bonnet which is a two piece assembly. One piece fold up for the hood & a separate front panel with a curved top edge. While the kit is nicely designed & etched this joint needed quite a lot of tweaking, fetteling & a few dry runs. Got it in the end I think.

Still plenty to do, grills, inspection panels & handrails to add plus all the castings, window frames, beading & roof. I see the RSU getting some use.

Cheers
Chris

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Will be good to see you there; are you doing an over-nighter / beer session, or up and back in the same day?

Just up and back on Saturday. Would have been good to have a beer or two, but coming up with some friends.

Wouldn't mind having a go on the Mill though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark. Funnily enough, the article on the layout was in the last issue although we sort of get a mention inside this one, albeit only as one of the layouts attending Expo EM in Bracknell on the 14th & 15th May.

For those non-members of the society, here is the front cover. The layout has moved on since this was taken, albeit not much.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

The bloke in the background looks a bit out of scale?